Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by jaybro »

Looking at today's play I feel Zimbabwe are in a strong position but I'm a bit worried about the bowling attack which doesn't look that penetrative to me.

Things would look a lot better if the attack was made up of KJ, TLC, Mumba & Chisoro IMO but lets see how Nyauchi & Tiripano go. Tiripano obviously bowled that peach yesterday to get Oshanda and the pitch looks like it might be suitable to both he & Nyauchi who looks similar to Don in that he puts his medium pacers on a length and hopes for some movement off the deck.

Jarvis seemed to be trying too hard yesterday and really wasted the new ball, if the pitch starts offering a bit like it seemed to yesterday arvo then all he needs to do is put it on a length and what for that natural movement.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 am

This was my point !!! I don't think anyone here is actually in support of the current admin, but a home Test where Zimbabwe are actually competitive in is exactly why I go through all the rubbish, ups and downs. If you're not going to enjoy this what's the point of suffering through the rest?
100%. I think people just experience the same feeling at different times. There have been many times when things seem to be on track hence sticking through it at those times.
jaybro wrote:

I really find it laughable that people are criticising the openers for the failings of the middle order :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prince & Kasuza did their jobs, it was the middle order guys who let the side down, if they batted better Zimbabwe would have scored over 450 and had 10 or so overs at the SL guys at the end.

Remembering poor light has ended both days early, Zimbabwe would have likely been over 200 by stumps on Day 1 if not for poor light.
I'm not saying the openers are at fault for our score, I'm saying that they should use this as a learning curve on what they need to do going forward. Bear in mind, when you force your middle order to push for runs, you create a situation where they become susceptible to going out. A platform was laid that the others should have capitalised on most definitely, but it's generally the middle (5th)-lower orders role to force the issue home, not lay the foundations.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 am
jaybro wrote:

This was my point !!! I don't think anyone here is actually in support of the current admin, but a home Test where Zimbabwe are actually competitive in is exactly why I go through all the rubbish, ups and downs. If you're not going to enjoy this what's the point of suffering through the rest?
100%. I think people just experience the same feeling at different times. There have been many times when things seem to be on track hence sticking through it at those times.
jaybro wrote:

I really find it laughable that people are criticising the openers for the failings of the middle order :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prince & Kasuza did their jobs, it was the middle order guys who let the side down, if they batted better Zimbabwe would have scored over 450 and had 10 or so overs at the SL guys at the end.

Remembering poor light has ended both days early, Zimbabwe would have likely been over 200 by stumps on Day 1 if not for poor light.
I'm not saying the openers are at fault for our score, I'm saying that they should use this as a learning curve on what they need to do going forward. Bear in mind, when you force your middle order to push for runs, you create a situation where they become susceptible to going out. A platform was laid that the others should have capitalised on most definitely, but it's generally the middle (5th)-lower orders role to force the issue home, not lay the foundations.
This is where I say Zimbabwe is a special case. Why? Because our top batsmen are not playing from 1-4 unlike most teams. It's number 3 to 6. Also I was there on day 1 and I will tell you they lost maybe 20 to 25 runs because of the wet outfield. The ball was getting stuck maybe 3/4 of the way to the boundary. The conditions are still overcast and Sri Lanka will suffer the same way. I think the only way it becomes really easy for batting is if we see some sun for an extended period of time and the ball start finding its way to boundary easily. You have to hit it really hard at the moment which is risky

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I remember Shaun Pollock once commenting about the HSC wicket when we were playing in S.A.. it's the kind of wicket where you can find guys bowling 130kph being lethal if they are accurate. Jarvis just need to be patient he will get something. A lot of pressure is on Ndlovu as well because their spinner did well. The first hour is crucial

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:52 pm
eugene wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:25 pm
I know he doesn't set the world a light, but is there a more likeable cricketer than Donald Tiripano? He shows the same grit and determination that we were renowned for in the 1990s.
Because he is in a post quota world.
Donald and the two openers had to FIGHT to get into the team.

They weren’t gifted spots like the 2005-2011 era +2013/14.

It’s why Kasuza played the warm up tourney in SA and Prince lost weight and changed his game.

Ok the flip, it’s why Matsikenyeri plateaued young and Sibanda never hit the heights.

And why Bavuma and countless South Africans are struggling now!

You need focus, commitment and sheer will.
Some of our guys are discovering this inside them and I am hopeful it’s starting to show.
Very true. They know 1 bad game could be the end of their careers. Nyauchi has probably been up for a few hours already knowing if he doesn't do something special today 5 years of hard work would have gone down the drain. Tshuma and Mumba are probably hoping Nyauchi and Ainsley fail so that next week they are in. That pressure creates real fighters in certain situations. Not all of them but you will find some fighters. Add knowing that a national contract is all there is to survive too.

That annoying complacency can be seen in Chakabva right now. Murray needs to finish uni and apply maximum pressure.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

This was the 1st time we had our top 3 score half centuries in the same innings in our test history. How can that possibly be bad?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I'll be honest, I've not read every single post in the thread, so I can't speak for others, can only speak for myself.

My point is that the openers did brilliantly. Great job, but they must learn from here and grow in to be better players. The need to rotate the strike and keep it moving along at a pace of around 3-4 an over when they have laid a solid foundation. Basically make a statement to put the opposition on the back foot and take the game away from them. Australia did that superbly all summer.

I feel like playing Sri Lanka is a great opportunity to do that.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 am

It's like sloan says, it endorses those in charge. You only need to look at the lead up to this series. Chamu as captain. Terrible domestic comp. Burl and Moor drama. ZC staff and players not being paid. Playing test cricket, as amazing as it is is, does not mean anything in the long term because it generally a cycle with ZC. They promise big and say the right things, and then we go back to the old crap. When you see how other countries are progressing and moving forward, we are literally going backwards.

Just wanted to touch on Taps point about the run rate. Yes, I agree there are different ways to play the game, but the general consensus is that test cricket is played in stages. You see off the early ball, then you make runs in the middle to put pressure on the bowling team, and then try to bat them out a bit towards the end so you force them to push for runs from their first ball. Whilst the openers did well to see off the new ball and build a strong foundation, I think we should have been on at least 200 by end of day 1. That is the standard. Other teams are scoring 300 plus in one day.

Granted we are not on the same level, but getting to the same level requires you to work in the same way.

All that may be true, but the beauty of sport is that its a distraction from real life. Its like an opiate, but minus the ill health effects. Many of the top cricket playing nations (and plenty of non-cricketing nations) are massively corrupt and have done things ranging from questionable, to controversial, to downright malignant. What if Indian cricket fans said following cricket merely endorsed the 2 centuries of British brutality and exploitation of hundreds of millions of Indians centuries ago? Its really pretty futile in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Anyways back to the game. Google says no rain for the next 3 days. Which means hardly any loss of overs, let alone sessions, for this entire Test match.

Its a very well balanced Test so far. 358 is a solid total on any non-flat deck. The outfield might render 358 to be more of a par score than one would initially assume. Can't judge until both teams have batted a complete innings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jward wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:24 pm
eugene wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:25 pm
I know he doesn't set the world a light, but is there a more likeable cricketer than Donald Tiripano? He shows the same grit and determination that we were renowned for in the 1990s.
Yes, he's a really nice guy, so many Zim cricketers are.
Thanks, John. :)