Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 am
So we scored about 50 runs more with a more positive approach but batted about 30 overs less. So 50 runs versus 1 session? I don't know. I guess we will see how this test plays out. It will settle the debate

Mutombodzi is the perfect number 8 for me in all formats with Burl opening. Then Hami guaranteed Chamu a place in the team smh. In fact I would bat him higher than Regis if I was in charge. Let's see if he can contribute with the ball. Definitely better than Ainsley.
The whole point of the game is to score more runs. You can't really blame the middle order guys here, they did their job.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

As TapsC said roughly 50 runs better off but 30 overs less batted which will make it harder to draw which is the best possible result with this attack.

I rate Mumba and Nyauchi did well last match but this pitch won't suit them, Tiripano is a warrior but he's toothless, Mutombodzi had pretty much become a part timer before this season, now we're expecting him to bowl out the Sri Lankans? I don't see it.

Could be a real long 2-3 Days in the field Im afraid, 406 feels like 206 on this deck, the only player who got out to a good ball was BT & Kasuza, the rest got themselves out, Sri Lanka won't be as generous
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

What's hurting us again is he lack of a big hundred. Since 2011 only BT and Hami have shown themselves capable of such on more than one freak occasion. But it would be unfair to lay any blame on Williams who heroically struggled through despite his illness.

It's also what separates the men (40-50 av.) from the boys (25-35 av.) in Test cricket.

Nanctus

Post by Nanctus »

If anyone remembers the 2016 series, is Mumba still bowling at the same pace? I remember some comments around here about his speed but he's had some injuries so I'm curious if he's maintained it.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Nanctus wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:58 am
If anyone remembers the 2016 series, is Mumba still bowling at the same pace? I remember some comments around here about his speed but he's had some injuries so I'm curious if he's maintained it.
My observation is people here talk up bowlers speeds through their naked eye, or a one of ball, and when we see them, the reality is they are always 125-130.

Jarvis
Aliseni
Panyangara
Chigumbura
Mutombodzi
Blessing
Mumba
Evans
Tiripano
Olonga
That guy that went to Belgium.
Even Bliggie, who is talked about as lightning, was a 125-130 plod, but he did in fact have 148 rockets as observed in at least three occasions. Just wasn’t his norm.

Only Chatara really delivered before his injury.

Strangely, our quickest seems to be Mpofu, who is a 135 guy, and the forum actually talks his speed down!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’d have preferred to have seen Tshuma ahead of Mumba. I

Nanctus

Post by Nanctus »

Didn't realise Mpofu bowled that quick, does have height and a bit of sling in his action so not surprising that he gets a bit more pace.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Damn would have been a nice catch

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am
Strangely, our quickest seems to be Mpofu, who is a 135 guy, and the forum actually talks his speed down!
Yes, even in his last outings under a speedgun Bobby was bowling a lot quicker than Jarvis/Chatara and everyone else in the team. I recall a couple of bouncers in the higher 130s, but I think his stock delivery would be comparable to Nyauchi and Mumba, i.e. low 130s?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Unbelievable fight back from u19. I think they were 70/5 and finished on 270/7.
100 for Bawa, batting at no 7?? 150 run partnership with Chirau, pulled them out of some serious trouble.