Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by zimlover »

If any one of these two team can get a lead of 100 runs , that would make it likely that they could win the test match.

Chasing 250 on a fifth day on a pitch like that can be challenging, Srilanka might but Zim have no capacity to do so.

So anything above 250 we can win

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm

There’s a multiplier effect.

More runs, more time in the middle to pass, then to exceed, them by a comfortable amount by the opposition . And more time for something to go wrong for the batters.

It’s highly unlikely that they will get 650ish to find zim in the position they were in the first, 200 and something runs behind.

And please never forget that when batsmen stonewall, it’s easy to spot, strategise a field to it and bowl accordingly.

It’s very rare to see even the best batsmen do this for a day.
I'm a little confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm

There’s a multiplier effect.

More runs, more time in the middle to pass, then to exceed, them by a comfortable amount by the opposition . And more time for something to go wrong for the batters.

It’s highly unlikely that they will get 650ish to find zim in the position they were in the first, 200 and something runs behind.

And please never forget that when batsmen stonewall, it’s easy to spot, strategise a field to it and bowl accordingly.

It’s very rare to see even the best batsmen do this for a day.
I'm a little confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing?
Agreeing with you and expanding the thought.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Great little session by Zimbabwe to finish off the day, although those missed chances off Mendis might be costly

Raza proving he may well be the best spinner in the land, Mutombodzi has been junk as I predicted another wasted selection although his batting might be useful later on.

Need a big 1st session tomorrow morning a couple of quick wickets and it’s on
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

So far Zimbabwe have kept things under control, look you score 400+, you give yourself a good chance, Sri Lanka will have to do the hard work. Zimbabwe need to be disciplined and take their chances, if they do that they have good chance of even winning this game. Batting last for SLN won't be easy.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:44 am
Great little session by Zimbabwe to finish off the day, although those missed chances off Mendis might be costly

Raza proving he may well be the best spinner in the land, Mutombodzi has been junk as I predicted another wasted selection although his batting might be useful later on.

Need a big 1st session tomorrow morning a couple of quick wickets and it’s on
I think he can still come in handy. Especially with the tail. He did score 33 runs as well and the turn will only get worse.

From what I saw I don't think it's possible to bat really long without giving any opportunities away. we are still in this. Williams hasn't bowled either. They probably gave him the day off to recover. The first 2 sessions will decide the game as the pro run rate rate guys correctly say, you can lose momentum by blocking everything. Every time somebody has upped the tempo they have given an opportunity.

I wonder what Grant Flower has told his batsmen.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 am

I think he can still come in handy. Especially with the tail. He did score 33 runs as well and the turn will only get worse.

Won't matter how much it's turning if he keeps bowling pies with sauce on them

Honestly he's a crap bowler, it's really quite concerning that he's taken so many wickets this season in Logan Cup.

His batting is the biggest advantage as you said, lets hope he gets a few more in the 2nd dig, but there's no way he should be picked in front of Mavuta or Chisoro for Bangladesh.

Tino Mawoyo said Natsai M'shangwe is playing in Australia this season, another loss for Zimbabwe
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Alan Butcher made an interesting comment on Dean’s twitter, he suggested our run rate was too high and we haven’t eaten up enough time. I guess he’s thinking we’re only good enough for a draw and doesn’t trust the batting in our second innings and has no faith in our bowlers taking 20 wickets. :lol:
He’s probably right. Neither bowling attack is that dangerous, especially on this pitch.
Our attacking batting would only have been vindicated if we’d put on another 50 runs, which was very do-able, had it not been for some bum shots down the order.
BT was on fire man. He’s as good as anybody when he’s seeing it well, and he was! He just got one of those deliveries that you can’t get bat onto unless you’re lucky enough to get an edge onto pad. It may we’ll have just been missing as well.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Mr Butcher obviously follows our cricket fairly closely. He’s a great yardstick actually. He knows his cricket, came here with every intention of sorting out what he perceived to be some past injustices, saw some real talent, butted heads with most of the white guys in management and yet still couldn’t deal with Makoni and his cronies :lol: It’s the same as our government actually, nothing here will ever really mend until the old guard are gone, too many people with axes to grind.
That tells you much of what you need to know.
The timing was wrong with Butcher, he’d probably have done better for us a little further down the line.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:52 am

Tino Mawoyo said Natsai M'shangwe is playing in Australia this season, another loss for Zimbabwe
M'shangwe was quite mediocre as well.

Mavuta should be getting chances. He's got some potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)