Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm
I am willing to admit here that I see what people meant about not scoring runs affecting you if wickets start tumbling. Sri Lanka fell into that trap today
BRMT going to hurt you if he reads this
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

TapsC wrote:
I am willing to admit here that I see what people meant about not scoring runs affecting you if wickets start tumbling. Sri Lanka fell into that trap today
Glad to see you’ve seen the light😂😂😂😂

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Free Spirit wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:30 pm
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:54 pm
113 run lead, that's still really great. I'm astonished that we bowled them out so cheaply with this attack, take a bow Sikandar Raza.

So what do we need in the third innings?

If we scrape our way to 100, that sets up an interesting little 4th innings chase albeit not a really troubling one.
If we scrape our way to 200, then sets up a challenging 4th innings chase but still not one I'd be really comfortable winning with.

275 is our magic number I think. I think we'd defend 390 odd - I don't think we'd repeat the mistakes of 2017.

One big problem though - Williams isn't batting?
Does anyone know the rule? Given he didn't field does that mean he'd be batting at 11?
Williams can bat after the time spent off the field has lapsed in Zimbabwe’s batting innings. That’s what the law dictates
He was off for the entire innings wasn't he? So 120 odd overs :(
So he's the last man in, unless we are in a position to declare?
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
TapsC wrote:
Well my answer to that is don't lose wickets :lol:
For us (which is ironic because we are in a prime position to win this game now) we should be aiming to not lose a game, first and foremost. Therefore I think we are best served to try and score 350 all out in 160 overs, than say 400 in 110 overs. There's so much time a Test match (at least the current definition of a Test match) that I see no point taking any undue risks. That is not Zim's strong suit, we are rubbish in T20 and not much better in ODI... our guys are quite suited to batting time though, so play to your strengths.

For other countries, totally different though. Australia is obviously well suited to playing really positively and steamrolling an opposition. That's not Zim's play though.

tgk

Post by tgk »

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Free Spirit wrote:
113 run lead, that's still really great. I'm astonished that we bowled them out so cheaply with this attack, take a bow Sikandar Raza.

If we scrape our way to 100, that sets up an interesting little 4th innings chase albeit not a really troubling one.
If we scrape our way to 200, then sets up a challenging 4th innings chase but still not one I'd be really comfortable winning with.

275 is our magic number I think. I think we'd defend 390 odd - I don't think we'd repeat the mistakes of 2017.

Does anyone know the rule? Given he didn't field does that mean he'd be batting at 11?
Williams can bat after the time spent off the field has lapsed in Zimbabwe’s batting innings. That’s what the law dictates
He was off for the entire innings wasn't he? So 120 odd overs :(
So he's the last man in, unless we are in a position to declare?
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
TapsC wrote:
Well my answer to that is don't lose wickets :lol:
For us (which is ironic because we are in a prime position to win this game now) we should be aiming to not lose a game, first and foremost. Therefore I think we are best served to try and score 350 all out in 160 overs, than say 400 in 110 overs. There's so much time a Test match (at least the current definition of a Test match) that I see no point taking any undue risks. That is not Zim's strong suit, we are rubbish in T20 and not much better in ODI... our guys are quite suited to batting time though, so play to your strengths.

For other countries, totally different though. Australia is obviously well suited to playing really positively and steamrolling an opposition. That's not Zim's play though.
Well, wouldn't 400 all out in 50 less overs gives us 50 more runs as cushion (lead would be 513) and 50 more overs to bowl Sri Lanka out?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Yep, but this match is a unique situation. How often can we rely on on one of our bowlers, let alone one of our batsmen, to take a 7-fer? :lol:
That's why cricket is a great game, unexpected things can happen.

I think 9 times out of 10 if we try and bat at 4 an over in a Test match we'd be all out for 150, it's not a style of play we are suited to.

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm

I think you’re largely right and in normal circumstances for sure.
But I’d still be worried at anything under a 400 lead. Kite attack is soft as.
We can’t expect Raza to do his thang again. Lightning isn’t strike twice. Will need a big effort by the others.
360 lead for me is 50/50. 400 is the magic 90/10 I want.
Anything In between is a sliding scale between those figures.
In the history of test cricket the highest ever run chase was 418. No one has chased more than 280 in the 4th innings at Harare sports club, history dictated that we should win this game if we have a lead of 300, we’ll be fine if we get 280+, we have the edge mentally and by the number. Have faith in the boys they’ll do it weather permitting

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

300 would be a challenge for SL, no doubt. But I wouldn't be cracking open the champagne if that was the target - that would mean we'd be all out for 190 or so which would be disappointing from 1/49.

It's funny how a few days ago we wanted rain, now we don't want it because we are in a pretty rare position of being able to put up a really, really imposing total if we play well from here :lol:

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

I always think the forum is quiet when Zim is batting well. The lack of typing is the equivalent of people staying in the same seats in the dressing room.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The weather report is not great for tomorrow. It would be a gigantic pisser if the rain robbed us of a much needed and deserved win. The lads have warmed the cockles of my heart.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Boy I hope the rain holds off, I think we a win is in the offing.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes