Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by Googly »

Dirk is reading my posts :lol:

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:05 am
There’s no point in being on the safe side. Whether we lose 1-0 or 2-0 is irrelevant surely?
We need a win to level it. I think they should open their shoulders and try and get 50-80 toute suite and then bowl. Rain is almost guaranteed to shorten this game. It’s drizzling where I am right now.
Within reason. This is Zimbabwe, we could lose 5/10 in the next 20 minutes and SL are chasing 320 odd - which they'd chase and win.

So I'd like us to at least get to that 380 range before playing T20 mode, hopefully ending with 400-420. I get what Dirk is saying about dangling the carrot but he's saying 350 which I think is nuts. SL chased 388 I think in 2017, so they won't be intimidated by our target.

So bottom line, first get to safety (375), then search for some quick runs (420) - if we choose to declare then, fine. If we set them 420 and lose then credit to SL. I don't see much point going to 450+ or anything though.

I don't see a draw as a bad thing necessarily. Obviously given the position we're in, we need to push for a win. But it would be more deflating to lose from here than to draw from here.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Fair enuf.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

Dirk must be smoking something,surely you can’t expect them to declare within 350.

Zimbabwe should really rub it in and play till tea and declare in the last session.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Any forecast for rain tomorrow?

Disappointing that there are no points up for grabs here.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 am
Any forecast for rain tomorrow?

Disappointing that there are no points up for grabs here.
<15% according to Google.

The other thing to keep in mind - Raza's not going to take another 7-fer. Our bowling attack is really mediocre. If the seamers combine for 5 between them that would be a huge win, so where are the other 5 coming from? Mutumbodzi won't get any. Raza hopefully picks up a few. I think a lot will depend on whether Williams is fit to bowl, and fit to bowl to the standard he usually bowls to.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Fuck me another stinker

Just keep losing untimely wickets
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

Googly wrote:
There’s no point in being on the safe side. Whether we lose 1-0 or 2-0 is irrelevant surely?
We need a win to level it. I think they should open their shoulders and try and get 50-80 toute suite and then bowl. Rain is almost guaranteed to shorten this game. It’s drizzling where I am right now.
Agreed. I’d rather us lose 2-0 because we were bold and went for it than “take time out the game” and pay not to lose. If you have a lead of 113 on the 3rd day you have to back yourself to get a sufficient lead and bowl them out. Even if we get bowled out now I still see Zimbabwe winning regardless.( that’s if the weather doesn’t spoil proceedings)
Last edited by Free Spirit on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

Googly wrote:
Agreed. I’d rather us lose 2-0 because we were bold and went for it than “take time out the game” and pay not to lose. If you have a lead of 113 on the 3rd day you have to back yourself to get a sufficient lead and bowl them out. Even if we get bowled out now I still see Zimbabwe winning regardless.( that’s if the weather doesn’t spoil proceedings)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

As much as I enjoy being in a position where we can all speculate about a possible future declaration, I'd prefer not to count our chickens. Let's try and get to tea first.

The umps are not helping our cause.