Zimbabwe vs England plate semi finals under 19th

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs England plate semi finals under 19th

Post by jaybro »

Well this side has massively underachieved IMO, no decent scalps at the World Cup, only best Scotland & Canada possibly Scotland again to finish 9th the same as the last 2-3 editions.

Pretty disappointing considering some of the talent in the side, when will Zimbabwe have so much talent in an U 19s side again?

To be fair the draw didn’t help, tough group and looking at NZ & RSA who got to the QF stage, Zimbabwe showed they’re better than those sides.

Concerning trait being seen all through Zimbabwe cricket at every level is the inability to find or produce genuine pace bowlers, the over reliance on part time spinners or allrounders again is repeated from the national side through to the 19s.

The other area where I feel they stuffed up was the batting order, Utseya changed it almost every game there was no cohesion and guys were being played out of position.

Oh well
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 pm
Well this side has massively underachieved IMO, no decent scalps at the World Cup, only best Scotland & Canada possibly Scotland again to finish 9th the same as the last 2-3 editions.

Pretty disappointing considering some of the talent in the side, when will Zimbabwe have so much talent in an U 19s side again?

To be fair the draw didn’t help, tough group and looking at NZ & RSA who got to the QF stage, Zimbabwe showed they’re better than those sides.

Concerning trait being seen all through Zimbabwe cricket at every level is the inability to find or produce genuine pace bowlers, the over reliance on part time spinners or allrounders again is repeated from the national side through to the 19s.

The other area where I feel they stuffed up was the batting order, Utseya changed it almost every game there was no cohesion and guys were being played out of position.

Oh well
9th ?
That would mean they win the plate.
Top 8 went to semis.
Think England has that wrapped up.
We can’t get 9th or 10th, but we can shoot for 11 in the 11th spot play off. Or we lose and come 12th.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:01 am

9th ?
That would mean they win the plate.
Top 8 went to semis.
Think England has that wrapped up.
We can’t get 9th or 10th, but we can shoot for 11 in the 11th spot play off. Or we lose and come 12th.
Sorry my bad 11th
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:

Oh well
NZ are in the semis!

RSA its hard to gauge where they are, but if they finish 5th or 6th hard to say they are worse than the 11th pr 12th place side. RSA quicks are decent. Coetzee is rapid and though he didnt get many wickets looks theatening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

[
jaybro wrote:

Oh well
NZ are in the semis! They are the only non SC side there. India are firm faves to win again looks like. Only a 10 to 1 odds for either PAK or BD to beat them.

RSA its hard to gauge where they are, but if they finish 5th or 6th hard to say they are worse than the 11th pr 12th place side. RSA quicks are decent. Coetzee is rapid and though he didnt get many wickets looks theatening.
[/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

We’re surely better than NZ and SA in my opinion. They need a different format. We were done and dusted after 2 games. Had we sneaked into the QF’s, and we should have, people would have been saying this whole team has a future, but that’s not the case. I’ve pumped up Myers and Schardendorf and they haven’t really fired, but I stand by them. I think they’re only 17 as well.
Shumba could become an all rounder. He’s never going to be as good as Williams. I just don’t think he’s got the technique to become a top order batsman.
Let’s see how Ndlela and Nyangani develop, the jury is not in for me yet, but they have potential. They represent two types of bowlers we desperately need.
Madhevere we know can play but unfortunately he’s not a product of our now broken school system. Big thumbs up, worth pursuing.
Bawa is a gem, if this guy gets proper coaching and exposure to a higher level of cricket, even club, he will be another Muyeye. He won’t though, how sad is that?
Tugwete and Marumani were combative, Tugwete is leaving so it’s a moot observation, but I’m not sure either could be prominent in FC with any consistency.

Becoming a good pro has a lot to do with perseverance and good coaching though, it’s not all about raw talent. Absolutely you need it in abundance, but the rest is between the ears.

These lads gave us some good viewing and excitement in the warm ups though, some good games. They consistently had the wrong batting line up and the wrong message to the batters, and that cost us dearly. Where was Lamb in all of this? He either knows squat or is actually a sheep in lamb’s clothing. Clearly he needs a job going forward and not prepared to stick his neck out. They also had a couple of guys that shouldn’t have been anywhere near that squad, which sends a very poor message. It epitomizes everything that’s wrong with our cricket and it’s become the norm and seems to be accepted by all. We seem to do that most years and it’s clear it won’t change so it is what it is and that’s why we come 11/12th every WC. We promise much and deliver nothing. The box has been ticked though and that’s all that’s required for the next tranche to come rolling in to be devoured.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Why did James get sent home?

I was impressed with about 7 or 8 lads here, but the rest really looked average.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:

Oh well
I did you a dirty.
I only noticed the math thing but overlooked the rest.
You are right. There’s something really odd about the fact Zimbabwe can’t produce a pacer.
This is the strangest thing as pace is the most reliant on natural ability.
How can in a population of 9 million no one be able to legally put two+ -140 k fast bowlers in a row?
Even Canada had that Ugandan a few years back who could and UAE also had amateurs who could.

Googly mentioned the lack of competitive edge and ferocity and confidence in the junior grades.
I thought it was a here nor there comment until I moved to a country that’s had regular beat downs (like zim) and the meekness in the personality compares to aussies is striking. I feel this is in zim.
We need cocky dick swingers. Guys who want to put their penis in your wife’s mouth despite your opinion sorta thing. Killers. But zim don’t produce it.
In some ways I’m glad because I think they would get violent day to day SA style if they did on a whole but in cricket it suffers.

Get a kid from the jungle who runs in hard and wants to put batters in hospital and we good.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 am
We’re surely better than NZ and SA in my opinion. They need a different format. We were done and dusted after 2 games. Had we sneaked into the QF’s, and we should have, people would have been saying this whole team has a future, but that’s not the case. I’ve pumped up Myers and Schardendorf and they haven’t really fired, but I stand by them. I think they’re only 17 as well.
Shumba could become an all rounder. He’s never going to be as good as Williams. I just don’t think he’s got the technique to become a top order batsman.
Let’s see how Ndlela and Nyangani develop, the jury is not in for me yet, but they have potential. They represent two types of bowlers we desperately need.
Madhevere we know can play but unfortunately he’s not a product of our now broken school system. Big thumbs up, worth pursuing.
Bawa is a gem, if this guy gets proper coaching and exposure to a higher level of cricket, even club, he will be another Muyeye. He won’t though, how sad is that?
Tugwete and Marumani were combative, Tugwete is leaving so it’s a moot observation, but I’m not sure either could be prominent in FC with any consistency.

Becoming a good pro has a lot to do with perseverance and good coaching though, it’s not all about raw talent. Absolutely you need it in abundance, but the rest is between the ears.

These lads gave us some good viewing and excitement in the warm ups though, some good games. They consistently had the wrong batting line up and the wrong message to the batters, and that cost us dearly. Where was Lamb in all of this? He either knows squat or is actually a sheep in lamb’s clothing. Clearly he needs a job going forward and not prepared to stick his neck out. They also had a couple of guys that shouldn’t have been anywhere near that squad, which sends a very poor message. It epitomizes everything that’s wrong with our cricket and it’s become the norm and seems to be accepted by all. We seem to do that most years and it’s clear it won’t change so it is what it is and that’s why we come 11/12th every WC. We promise much and deliver nothing. The box has been ticked though and that’s all that’s required for the next tranche to come rolling in to be devoured.
With all respect weren’t you saying not long ago (and accurately might I add) these guys weren’t going to make the quarters and to calm our shit?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.