[Match Thread] Logan Cup (Rangers V Tuskers and Eagles v Mountaineers)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] Logan Cup (Rangers V Tuskers and Eagles v Mountaineers)

Post by jaybro »

Having 5 sides coupled with 20 of the best players unavailable,
Not to mention a host of domestic guys playing club cricket abroad, we were always going to see some crap names and average cricket

Again it’s a fail on ZC that when there was no cricket for the national team everyone was at home sitting on their arses, now the national team is in the middle of a busy schedule and they’re playing Logan cup.

Just another day in Zimbabwe
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jward

Post by jward »

grant wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 am
SpitfiresKent wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 am
Jemisi wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am
Richmond goes straight after 50.
cue ZIMDOGGY :lol:
:lol:
Threw his wicket away, as he admitted to me at lunchtime! But before then he played some brilliant strokes, certainly the best of the day.

Donald

Post by Donald »

How did madhevere look on first class debut. Not a bad day 42 runs and a wicket. I might have thought he may have been greedy going for his half century before close of play and getting Out?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:24 pm
Having 5 sides coupled with 20 of the best players unavailable,
Not to mention a host of domestic guys playing club cricket abroad, we were always going to see some crap names and average cricket

Again it’s a fail on ZC that when there was no cricket for the national team everyone was at home sitting on their arses, now the national team is in the middle of a busy schedule and they’re playing Logan cup.

Just another day in Zimbabwe
Having some cricket is probably better than no cricket. So I wouldn't fault the ZC for this. If they didn't host any cricket they'd be criticized, and when they do they get criticized.

ZC has a thousand and one problems with most of them being self inflicted, but for this I'd give them a pass. 20 guys who otherwise wouldn't get chances are now getting them. You never know who might step up and put his hands up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:21 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm
And hello! Muzarawetu is back too! The one who went downhill after bursting onto the scene with a great debut season...
Yep, in times like these the forgotten ones reappear. I've also seen Musoko somewhere ...
Yeah, and suddenly there is the forgotten former U19 guy Nenhunzi too playing this round.
SpitfiresKent wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:21 pm
Yep, in times like these the forgotten ones reappear.
Trenchard will probably turn out for the Rhinos next week :D
Yeah, that and may be Hilary Matanga turning out for Eagles.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm
Jemisi wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 am
SpitfiresKent wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 am

cue ZIMDOGGY :lol:
Now Kaia goes right on 50.
So you see.

And now you have seen, you will continue to see.

Needs to change.
I think the current spotlight you have aimed at this issue is helpful.

I do think I have been statistically aware of our problem for a long time - though I would say it more from the conversion angle rather than the 'just making it over the half century mark and then falling' angle.

I am thinking of putting up some stats in the stats thread to support your point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:19 pm
It just doesn't make sense to play domestic cricket when the national team is on tour; that's about half the serious cricketers gone (and I don't know how often I've bemoaned that sort of scheduling before). Only upside is the inclusion of Shumba and Wes.
Surely you can’t halt domestic cricket every time the national side is playing? As it stands cricket seems to be only played on a whim. Unless you have a schedule and stick to it the cricket is meaningless. It’s the same as the club cricket, I don’t recall the last time they played.
Local cricket here is like playground cricket where kids sit down and the two self appointed captains take turns picking one one until they’ve got their team and the remaining players slouch off disconsolately and cry to their mum when they get picked up after school.
There’s now a real shortage of decent grounds and they will be queuing for their expected free games on grounds prepared by some mystery fairy.
I see they played a FC game at Old Georgians the other day. Brent is in charge of the ground and it’s now refurbished, resurrected and I’m certain it’s being eyed enviously and avariciously by people that don’t work and don’t have a plan.
It’s like the land grabbers- they wait for the crop to be ready for harvest before they decide that their great great grandfather (who was actually a refugee from Mozambique) lived there and he wants it back. This word useless is a good one- completely without use.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s no intent to turn our cricket around, it gets worse by the day. It’s a thin veneer created by very corrupt and incompetent people to keep the charade going and the money coming in from ICC, well half the money now :lol: As corrupt and useless as ICC is , they know exactly what’s going on here and seem more than happy.
These few games we play are essentially just a couple of ad hoc trials games to give a couple of guys a chance to pick them for the National side.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Our cricket is like a decapitated cockroach. The head will stay alive for a while whilst the body is dead, but ultimately it will end. These muppets have NO plan to resurrect cricket here. If you gave them a billion dollars they couldn’t do it. You need organizational and managerial skills which they lack.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm
Jemisi wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 am

Now Kaia goes right on 50.
So you see.

And now you have seen, you will continue to see.

Needs to change.
I think the current spotlight you have aimed at this issue is helpful.

I do think I have been statistically aware of our problem for a long time - though I would say it more from the conversion angle rather than the 'just making it over the half century mark and then falling' angle.

I am thinking of putting up some stats in the stats thread to support your point.
Omg please do!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*