MVP thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: MVP thread

Post by jaybro »

I'm one of Regis Chakabva's biggest fans, yet his harshest critic, the guy is a good player but he seldom shows it. I feel he has all the skills to be a really good player, but he lacks the brains.

Batting @ 7 doesn't suit him, he'd be much more effective batting in the top 5 IMO, obviously the keeping makes it hard for him to do so, but in this Test I'd 100% bat him @ 5 in the 2nd dig, let Maruma bat @ 7.

Looking to the future possibly when Murray finally commits himself and takes the gloves, Regis can move up the order, which will likely coincide with the the start of end for the Big 4 BT, WIlliams, Raza & Ervine
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 am
Good thread:

1) Raza - Equal second best batsman on the team, tied with Williams and Ervine IMO. The reason being, apart from Taylor, all 3 of Raza-Willy-Ervine often go through extended patches of poor form. As the Dogg said, the best spinner in the team, and one of the better bowlers overall.

2) Williams - Same reasoning as the Dogg for my top two picks, but Williams was for far too long a player who would score runs only when the game was already lost. Its only been in the past 2-3 years Williams has been scoring meaningful runs. To me that is a very big flaw, granted Williams is now correcting that.

3) Taylor - no need to explain. The premier batsman.

4) Jarvis - The premier quick.

5) Ervine - The last of ZIM's batting Big 4. His experience and experience are vital.

No one else qualifies for consideration IMO. Chatara for me is just an honorable mention.
Chatara test bowling average 27.6 with a strike rate of 70.6 . Jarvis 29.4 with a strike rate of 54.6
Chatara ODI bowling average 30.6 with a strike rate of 36.1. Jarvis 36 with a strike rate of 40.7
Chatara T20 bowling average 23.6 with a strike rate of 18. Jarvis 23.8 with a strike rate of 16

Chatara was top 5 on the yearly wicket lists for ODIs in 2018. He beats Jarvis when it comes to averages every time including in tests which Jarvis is more suited(explains the better strike rate). How exactly is 1 number 4 and the other an honourable mention? They are equally as valuable overall

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I would go as far as to say that if Chatara hadn't broken his leg he would have been as important to us with the ball as BT is with the bat. He is also 2 years younger than Jarvis

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 am
I would go as far as to say that if Chatara hadn't broken his leg he would have been as important to us with the ball as BT is with the bat. He is also 2 years younger than Jarvis
Staying on the pitch is his biggest problem, hard to be the MVP if you’re always injured. That leg break really set him back, but look now he’s out with a torn bicep injury, very frustrating indeed.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This could potentially ruin chatara as a bowler.
I made a thread year ago that he will never be the same after his leg break. And he never was, however still managed to take wickets and adapt.

Every injury a fast bowler has hastens retirement. Not sure if a torn bicep will end him. But when he’s back, he’s probably one big injury a way to being Tiripano.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 pm
I'm one of Regis Chakabva's biggest fans, yet his harshest critic, the guy is a good player but he seldom shows it. I feel he has all the skills to be a really good player, but he lacks the brains.

Batting @ 7 doesn't suit him, he'd be much more effective batting in the top 5 IMO, obviously the keeping makes it hard for him to do so, but in this Test I'd 100% bat him @ 5 in the 2nd dig, let Maruma bat @ 7.

Looking to the future possibly when Murray finally commits himself and takes the gloves, Regis can move up the order, which will likely coincide with the the start of end for the Big 4 BT, WIlliams, Raza & Ervine
Chakabva could well end up having 1-2 years as our top Test batsman once the big four are gone.
He could well be the last one standing with a Test century to his name.

I might be wrong about this, but I think the most recent player to debut and then score a century is Raza (who played his first Test in 2013, tonned up in 2017). In seven years we haven't found a batsman capable of scoring a century - Chibhabha, Burl, Moor, Chari are amongst that lot.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 am

Chakabva could well end up having 1-2 years as our top Test batsman once the big four are gone.
He could well be the last one standing with a Test century to his name.

I might be wrong about this, but I think the most recent player to debut and then score a century is Raza (who played his first Test in 2013, tonned up in 2017). In seven years we haven't found a batsman capable of scoring a century - Chibhabha, Burl, Moor, Chari are amongst that lot.
I've brought up this point a few times as a indication of the failure that is Zimbabwe Cricket and their system or lack there of

Post Rebel era the side has been predominately made up from the 'Golden U19' team of 2004, excluding those guys only two players who have come through the ZC pathways system have scored an international century, that being Regis Chakabva & Solomon Mire. Raza didn't come through the system he just ended up playing club cricket then Logan Cup cricket.

So since the WC team of 2004 Zimbabwe Cricket's system of producing International batsman has produced 2 International centuries in 16 years of trying

Let that sink in

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

My MVP List

1: Sikander Raza Raza is without doubt the MVP of the Zimbabwe Cricket Team, being a triple threat he has won games with bat, ball & in the field for Zimbabwe in the past and will do no doubt in the future. He's arguably the 2nd best batsman in the side, and now undoubtedly the best spinner in the side, when Zimbabwe win he's almost certainly contributed in some way.

2: Brendan Taylor BT is still the best bat in the side, but is now only the 2nd MVP as his form and dedication seems to be inconsistent these days. As I've pointed out recently he's in ODI mode no matter the match situation, which has made him less dependable in recent times. Still the most likely to play a match winning knock against a quality opponent.

3: Sean Williams The Test captain and similar to Raza, Williams is a triple threat, although as it has been pointed out before his best performances with the bat don't always come in winning efforts. It's different with the ball though as Williams seems to play a hand with ball more so in winning matches. His ability to reach triple figures in recent times shows growth from a player who always seemed to be happy with the 'Zimbo Century' when he passed 50.

4: Craig Ervine Just as talented as the 3 above mentioned batsman Ervine is a key member of the Zimbabwe side, after a difficult 2018 he's bounced back in all three formats. Hopefully he hangs around for the next few years, we might be about to see the best of Craig Ervine I feel, and build on his 6 international tons, only BT has more amongst the active playing squad.

5: Tendai Chatara The best bowler Zimbabwe has in their ranks no doubt, his record across all three formats proves this. The issue with TLC is his fitness issues, ever since his leg break it seems he's always a couple of games away from breaking down again. He also seems to perform better when he's not the leader of the attack, I was disappointed in his performances during the mini player strike in 2018.

They are my top 5 MVPs for Zimbabwe atm, I feel Tendai Chisoro could actually be Top 5 if he wasn't barred from selection, his lower order batting and useful bowling would make him an integral part of all three formats.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

In overseas conditions I think Ervine is our most reliable, along with Williams. Chakabva has surprisingly been decent away from home also I think.

At home BT is probably the best.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I still agree with the original order by ZIMDOGGY. The new mature Williams is the no.1 MVP. I have been vocal about his performances only in dead situations, but last couple of years have been a massive improvement. Which is why captaincy across formats should have been a foregone conclusion. Raza at two due to being a multi-dimensional performer, but Williams the bowler is significantly better across formats than Raza. Williams the batsman is anyway better. Taylor's stocks are going down due to becoming one dimensional. He runs the risk of losing fitness further that could soon prevent him from being a limited overs keeper too.