Is the Test vs Ireland on as of now?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Is the Test vs Ireland on as of now?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Zimbabwe need to be playing more Tests. So does Ireland and Afghanistan.

Let’s keep updates about this match here. Should be a cracker of a contest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Re: Is the Test vs Ireland on as of now?

Post by zimbos_05 »

Do we really? I know its the pinnacle of cricket, but we gain nothing if we win. No test championship points on offer. We also lose money hosting tests and we have selectors who pick friends, so we end up getting resoundingly beaten or not even challenging. Other than showing we are still a test nation, what benefit is test cricket to Zim at present? At least not whilst we still have the same board and going through the same crap.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Doing well in Tests outside the WTC will eventually lead to promotion into the WTC. The Afghans and Zimbabwe have both beaten Bangladesh in Bangladesh very recently, if they get a few more scalps against SL/WI/PAK, they will make strong cases for inclusion from the next cycle or 2023.

The more they play, the more likely they are to win a Test. If you beat WI on a tank turner in Bulawayo or Harare, no one will remember that your B team lost by an innings vs Bangladesh.

For example, we don’t gain any points in the just concluded Tests, or make much money. But we needed the confidence boost after losing 5 Tests in a row by an innings.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I’d love to see Zimbabwe play both Ireland & Afghanistan in Tests but sadly there won’t be much of it.

As for this test in April, nothing offical but the word is it will be scraped
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:07 am
Doing well in Tests outside the WTC will eventually lead to promotion into the WTC. The Afghans and Zimbabwe have both beaten Bangladesh in Bangladesh very recently, if they get a few more scalps against SL/WI/PAK, they will make strong cases for inclusion from the next cycle or 2023.

The more they play, the more likely they are to win a Test. If you beat WI on a tank turner in Bulawayo or Harare, no one will remember that your B team lost by an innings vs Bangladesh.

For example, we don’t gain any points in the just concluded Tests, or make much money. But we needed the confidence boost after losing 5 Tests in a row by an innings.
How can they lead to promotion if you don't get points? The system should be set up so that there is a proper promotion and relegation system. Do you really think the likes of India and such will bother with having to play lower sides if there is no benefit to them?

This talk of the more we play, the better we get, is nonsense. We were destroyed by Bangladesh. I will remember that loss. Fortunately the rest of the cricket world began to forget us long ago so they wont. Bangladesh sure will remember that match. We are one of the sides who has played more shorter format games than any other, but how much better have we got. I'm not buying that reasoning.

That may be, but that just means we are your whipping boys. The side you play to get a quick confidence boost. It does nothing for the Zim players and fans.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

How can they lead to promotion if you don't get points? The system should be set up so that there is a proper promotion and relegation system. Do you really think the likes of India and such will bother with having to play lower sides if there is no benefit to them?

This talk of the more we play, the better we get, is nonsense. We were destroyed by Bangladesh. I will remember that loss. Fortunately the rest of the cricket world began to forget us long ago so they wont. Bangladesh sure will remember that match. We are one of the sides who has played more shorter format games than any other, but how much better have we got. I'm not buying that reasoning.

That may be, but that just means we are your whipping boys. The side you play to get a quick confidence boost. It does nothing for the Zim players and fans.
I'm not saying that more games will always = improvement. Generally, thats the case, but ZIM have too many other problems which preclude (selecting too many players who are unable to learn from experience for example). 90% of that is due to ZC's incompetence.

What I am saying, is that so long as you are a ZIM cricket fan, not playing at all should not be an option, no matter how bad things might get.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm not saying that more games will always = improvement. Generally, thats the case, but ZIM have too many other problems which preclude (selecting too many players who are unable to learn from experience for example). 90% of that is due to ZC's incompetence.

What I am saying, is that so long as you are a ZIM cricket fan, not playing at all should not be an option, no matter how bad things might get.
I'd rather we stick to the shorter formats and improve on that, than watch us get pummeled on the park within 4 days by every 2nd nation

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:03 am
I'd rather we stick to the shorter formats and improve on that, than watch us get pummeled on the park within 4 days by every 2nd nation
I don't see a reason for all this doom and gloom. Zimbabwe just played a fairly competitive series vs Sri Lanka - a side that just whitewashed South Africa in South Africa. The team that lost to Bangladesh was missing 4 key players (Jarvis, Chatara, Williams, Moor) - meaning it was effectively a Zimbabwe A team.

If its purely a fiscal decision, sure. But not playing due to fear of the results is not only sad, but a waste of Test status IMO. You can't improve by not playing.

Even following your recipe...what happens if Zimbabwe start losing ODIs to Netherlands, Scotland, or Afghanistan? Do we then say, lets quit playing ODIs and just focus on playing T20s? Where does it end?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I agree Kriterion

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:17 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:03 am
I don't see a reason for all this doom and gloom. Zimbabwe just played a fairly competitive series vs Sri Lanka - a side that just whitewashed South Africa in South Africa. The team that lost to Bangladesh was missing 4 key players (Jarvis, Chatara, Williams, Moor) - meaning it was effectively a Zimbabwe A team.

If its purely a fiscal decision, sure. But not playing due to fear of the results is not only sad, but a waste of Test status IMO. You can't improve by not playing.

Even following your recipe...what happens if Zimbabwe start losing ODIs to Netherlands, Scotland, or Afghanistan? Do we then say, lets quit playing ODIs and just focus on playing T20s? Where does it end?
Can't agree more