The next batch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

The next batch

Post by sloandog »

Ok so we’ve just completed the latest Under 19 World Cup drop outs, and by the looks of it, the only lads who will be sticking around short term are Shumba and Wez. I’ve heard through the grapevine that Schadendorff is looking to play for Zimbabwe when his education is finished, so he’s out.

Aimed at the boys on ground zero, I want to ask who the next group of players are? Are there any..?

ZIMDOGGY

Re: The next batch

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimdoggy has a lot of causes.

1. Consolidate the number of domestic teams
2. Throw money at the diaspora for ready made talent.
3. Draw awareness to the ‘Zimbabwean hundred’ fifty and out syndrome, and ultimately change the mindset that you’ve done your job as a batsman at 50 runs up front.

And,
4. For the kids like Murray and Schadendorf (based on Sloans scoop) DO YOUR FUCKING DEGREE FULL/PART TIME ONLINE and enjoy your cricket career and degree all at once, without one affecting the other! I did it. Countless others did it too.

There is no fucking reason to ‘study and return after a degree’ half the player you were beforehand.

So fucking dumb. These guys are taking unnecessary steps that will only hurt them as cricketers, and no one but the Dogg questions it?

Point being of course that Schadendorf should be playing cricket domestically as he gets his degree. Logan Cup makes a good job whilst you study!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Next batch needs new brain first Utseya, Lamb should be removed from charges

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I agree with the part time thing.

From what I read a few weeks ago i think only Bawa and another kid who got injured before the world cup qualify for the next world cup. Completely new batch coming in. I think the younger Welch will also just be eligible

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I agree. All my degrees have been part time.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Zimbabwe has so much talent coming through at the moment, perhaps another golden age by Zimbabwean standards. So much for the domm and gloom merchants. That being said, I have my doubts that we can retain most of this talent.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 pm
Zimbabwe has so much talent coming through at the moment, perhaps another golden age by Zimbabwean standards. So much for the domm and gloom merchants. That being said, I have my doubts that we can retain most of this talent.
There actually is, though. There's a handful of lads here who I think could seriously be a force in the years to come.
Wez, Dion and Milton are the big three, followed by Ryan Murray who has said he is returning to Zimbabwe after his studies to commit to a cricket career. Then there's Ryan Burl, K-Long and Tari Musakanda, as well as Tshuma, Mumba and Blessing when he comes back. It's not all doom and gloom, but we need to make sure the right selections are happening. What's the point in picking Maruma for the Ireland series? Get a young lad in there who's hungry and without the PTS of the past decade.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:07 am
eugene wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 pm
There actually is, though. There's a handful of lads here who I think could seriously be a force in the years to come.
Wez, Dion and Milton are the big three, followed by Ryan Murray who has said he is returning to Zimbabwe after his studies to commit to a cricket career. Then there's Ryan Burl, K-Long and Tari Musakanda, as well as Tshuma, Mumba and Blessing when he comes back. It's not all doom and gloom, but we need to make sure the right selections are happening. What's the point in picking Maruma for the Ireland series? Get a young lad in there who's hungry and without the PTS of the past decade.
I was thinking about this as I was driving into work today, there is a solid group of about 20-25 players who can become the nucleus of the squad for a long time

Openers

Kamunhukamwe
Mudzinganyama
Kasuza
Madhevere

Middle Order
Burl
Musakanda
Shumba
Murray
Bawa
Marumani
Myers
Moor

All-Rounders
Mashinge
Jongwe

Spinners
Mavuta
Nyangoni
Chesa
Magarira

Seamers
Matigimu
Blessing
Ngarava
Mumba
Ndela
Ngungu
Grant
Macheka
Mambo

I feel that's a fairly realistic list of players who would make themselves available for selection, always the chance a few more will return as well. The biggest 'swinging factor' is how well the game will be run and handled, under the current regime we might still be seeing Maruma brought back after 10 years in the wilderness
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement