Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 2nd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 2nd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 pm

I know you're dramatic so I'm expecting a big gulf, but still interested to see
Not dramatic per se. I always try to take a performance and put it into context with as many variables as possible.

Game 1, I thought Saif bowled quite well. He's not the quickest guy around, 130-135 clicks, but he's fairly consistent in his ability to swing the ball, and he seems to perform better than you would think just looking at him. His batting is not too shabby, and I think he should be drafted into our Test side as well for overseas tours when we need an extra seamer. Fizz didn't too too poorly, was swinging the ball a bit which was good to see, and did a OK job. Its unrealistic I suppose to expect him to pick up 3-4 wickets every single game.

Game 2. I am not at all a fan of Al Amin. He might be our best T20 pacer the moment, but this game proved why he should not be anywhere near an ODI or Test playing XI. Ugly action, no pace, no real control. Shafiul, I have no problem with, but he's just not good enough to be in our top 3-4 seamers in any of the formats.
Last edited by Kriterion_BD on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Did not expect to wake up to a result where it was so close. Nice to see Wes getting a good score. Hopefully he can actually develop the way a talent of his should. He could open doors if he is consistent and develops his game well.

Surprised to see the usual suspects giving BT some slack and saying we should stick with him.

I think it's quite clear that our bowling is the biggest issue and is something that needs to be addressed properly. I unfortunately do not have trust in the powers that be to get it right.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 pm
I woke this afternoon to see a 4 run final margin. That shit was close! Kind of surprised and relieved that Al Amin didn't choke in the final over. I am quite sure Mashrafee would have found some way to give up those 5 extra runs to lose us the game had he bowled it, so good captaincy on his part to bowl himself out early. Granted he probably didn't expect the game to go that far.

Honestly, I think Tiripano and Mutombodzi just started teeing off to have some fun considering the asking rate was around 15 when they got together. They could not have had any idea, they'd whittle the target down to just 20 required off the final 6 balls.

Must have been a rather tense and thrilling game. Good for Sylhetis to have gotten to experience both a 169 run win and a 4 run sqeaker!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

eugene wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am
Brendan Taylor's form continues to be a concern. He is being outplayed by the young guys.
He has this look about him. Like he doesn't care anymore. Or maybe he is just backing himself 100%. Perfect recipe for an opening batsman because I can guarantee you the day he tees off with that kind of attitude he will bat like Chris Gayle on fire. The number 4 spot should be given to Williams and 5 to Wes. Wes can learn a lot batting between Williams and Raza. He is their natural replacement.

I don't see him playing that many tests after this year . Not because he would have been dropped but because he might retire from the longer format. Give him more time to go to Kariba without having to save the Rangers every week with the only reward being 3 games a year.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

They pulled a stat about Williams averaging 92 against Bangladesh since 2013. Considering we have mostly played these games in Bangladesh that is an unbelievable stat. Could he be our most reliable batsman right now?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What a stunning fight! That's more like it. Need to watch the highlights to witness the three maiden 50s, but a much better show compared to the first match, thankfully.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:28 am
eugene wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am
Brendan Taylor's form continues to be a concern. He is being outplayed by the young guys.
He has this look about him. Like he doesn't care anymore. Or maybe he is just backing himself 100%. Perfect recipe for an opening batsman because I can guarantee you the day he tees off with that kind of attitude he will bat like Chris Gayle on fire. The number 4 spot should be given to Williams and 5 to Wes. Wes can learn a lot batting between Williams and Raza. He is their natural replacement.

I don't see him playing that many tests after this year . Not because he would have been dropped but because he might retire from the longer format. Give him more time to go to Kariba without having to save the Rangers every week with the only reward being 3 games a year.
Yes I have noticed this and pointed it out, the funny thing is though yesterday he actually looked determined and got behind the ball.

It was just an unlucky run-out that looked bad, he hit the ball and thought ‘run’ straight away, good early call. But Miraz did well to get to the ball & fling it one handed onto the stumps.

Hopefully he takes the same attitude into the remaining matches on tour and into the Ireland series.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 am
They pulled a stat about Williams averaging 92 against Bangladesh since 2013. Considering we have mostly played these games in Bangladesh that is an unbelievable stat. Could he be our most reliable batsman right now?
That average has dropped to 78 now. But with 1 hundred, and 4 fifties in 10 innings, he's done quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Lack of footwork early in the innings, brainless reverse-sweeping and horrendous run outs have made Taylor a 35 avg player instead of a 45+ avg player throughout his career. The run out issue has also messed up many other bating partners over the years. That makes it really frustrating - when you think of what could have been.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:14 am
Lack of footwork early in the innings, brainless reverse-sweeping and horrendous run outs have made Taylor a 35 avg player instead of a 45+ avg player throughout his career. The run out issue has also messed up many other bating partners over the years. That makes it really frustrating - when you think of what could have been.
I would like to see him make some runs,may be there is something happening in the change room that has affected his game,non the less I would like to see him sit the next one out and come back in the T20