A question for John Ward: Neil Ferreria

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

A question for John Ward: Neil Ferreria

Post by sloandog »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/c ... 55421.html

John, what was this guy like? I see that you wrote his cricinfo profile, and just wanted to get an idea more than anything.

jward

Re: A question for John Ward: Neil Ferreria

Post by jward »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:17 pm

John, what was this guy like? I see that you wrote his cricinfo profile, and just wanted to get an idea more than anything.
Very nice guy, and a very determined batsman. He was not the most talented, so he did not succeed easily against the best bowlers, but at Zimbabwe's ordinary first-class level he would work very hard and unspectacularly to accumulate runs steadily, very rarely throwing his wicket away. I think he played more up to the level of his ability than most players you will find, but unfortunately not quite talented enough to be a real success at international level.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jward wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm
sloandog wrote:

Very nice guy, and a very determined batsman. He was not the most talented, so he did not succeed easily against the best bowlers, but at Zimbabwe's ordinary first-class level he would work very hard and unspectacularly to accumulate runs steadily, very rarely throwing his wicket away. I think he played more up to the level of his ability than most players you will find, but unfortunately not quite talented enough to be a real success at international level.
Thanks for clearing that up. I remember watching him against Bond in 2005 and he looked uncomfortably out of his depth. Most of the side that day looked out of their depth but there was a feeling he could actually get hurt.
I hear he's doing very well for himself now as Director of Sport in a school

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I always liked Neil Ferreira, he was unfortunate to debut when Zimbabwean cricket was at its lowest ebb. He was certainly an invaluable presence on the domestic circuit.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jward

Post by jward »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:17 pm
jward wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm
sloandog wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember watching him against Bond in 2005 and he looked uncomfortably out of his depth. Most of the side that day looked out of their depth but there was a feeling he could actually get hurt.
I hear he's doing very well for himself now as Director of Sport in a school
That's good to hear - do you know which school, and where? I haven't had news of him for some years.

jward

Post by jward »

eugene wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 am
I always liked Neil Ferreira, he was unfortunate to debut when Zimbabwean cricket was at its lowest ebb. He was certainly an invaluable presence on the domestic circuit.
Yes, he probably wouldn't have made his debut in another era, though. I'm glad he did get national selection, though, even though he wasn't a success - he deserved it for all his hard work and dedication.