Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 3rd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 3rd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 am

Is that a guy you want showing KJ and Chatara the way forward?
Ummm....yeahhh, I was actually agreeing with you about Hondo...soooo....

As for the batting part, I've argued for a long time that a lot of the guys don't have the mentality. A psychologist can't fix it if the system does not inhibit it. It needs to come from the top down. The structure and the philosophy needs to develop those kinds of players.

We have leaders who are mentally weak themselves and let mediocrity succeed. They don't stand up to those who are corrupt and they give things to their friends.

Just look at Hammy. He had everything, but never ever took a stance or said anything when he had the opportunity. Instead, he threw his teammates under the bus time and time again, and he never repaid them on the field.

Now he is leading the whole system. Batting and bowling techniques have to be taught at school level. That is not happening. ZC are just pushing people through the system and coaching and training as if they are playing pub cricket on the weekends and hoping that raw talent will shine through.

One of the reason our side in the 90s was so good was because they applied themselves. They worked hard and trained harder. They learnt from those around them and made every effort to keep improving their game at the ground level. Their mentality was stronger too, but it was not from psychology, it was from having a system in place that allowed them to be.

Psychology is useful in sport, but not as a team structure to develop better players, it helps on an individual level.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:54 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 am

Is that a guy you want showing KJ and Chatara the way forward?
Ummm....yeahhh, I was actually agreeing with you about Hondo...soooo....

As for the batting part, I've argued for a long time that a lot of the guys don't have the mentality. A psychologist can't fix it if the system does not inhibit it. It needs to come from the top down. The structure and the philosophy needs to develop those kinds of players.

We have leaders who are mentally weak themselves and let mediocrity succeed. They don't stand up to those who are corrupt and they give things to their friends.

Just look at Hammy. He had everything, but never ever took a stance or said anything when he had the opportunity. Instead, he threw his teammates under the bus time and time again, and he never repaid them on the field.

Now he is leading the whole system. Batting and bowling techniques have to be taught at school level. That is not happening. ZC are just pushing people through the system and coaching and training as if they are playing pub cricket on the weekends and hoping that raw talent will shine through.

One of the reason our side in the 90s was so good was because they applied themselves. They worked hard and trained harder. They learnt from those around them and made every effort to keep improving their game at the ground level. Their mentality was stronger too, but it was not from psychology, it was from having a system in place that allowed them to be.

Psychology is useful in sport, but not as a team structure to develop better players, it helps on an individual level.
Yeah I agree. I was being rhetorical with the KJ/Chatara statement for the forums benefit.

I’m not entirely sure what natural talent is in cricket batting. Two years ago I played with a kid who was brilliant In the nets. Flawless.
But he averaged 5 that season.

I averaged 30 and basically just tonked it to cow corner when I could, or singles through the covers or fine leg. But if I didn’t want to get out I’d protect the wicket and deadbat straight out of BRMTadmin coaching manual.

So who’s the better? That kid could do shots I never could.

Is a batter naturally talented in the mind or on the field? Philosophical question.

But it’s all a moot point because as you say, the coaching isn’t structural any more at any level. Kids aren’t prepared in either discipline. I’d say there are pockets of good coaches in the school system but that’s it. And it isn’t ZC. It’s relying on enthusiastic teachers. The same way all this cricket we are now playing wasn’t a ZC decision.

I can’t describe how much trouble we look like we will be in in three years.

If there is one catch cry I want to go viral is this;
“Not one player in the entire country under 32 in the system has scored an international century.”
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

We’d may as well get used to these guys, only death from old age or the Coronavirus will dislodge them. The M&M team have surrounded themselves with their inner circle and they’re feeling mighty comfortable that they will remain the incumbents until Doomsday. What will be interesting is who takes over from Rajput. It’s working so well for them that he may get an extension.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Can anyone name a coach we’ve had that has made a very noticeable difference? A lot of batters worldwide have their own batting coaches anyway, someone who’s been with them for years and knows their game. Most of the guys are good enough to know their own game and tweak their own stuff, except here of course. Here we get to see guys who actually need coaching as opposed to tweaking.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Making a hundred is not easy. You can get the odd hundred by cutting loose and having a great day, but the guys that have a few under their belts have a method that works for them and they’re disciplined.
BT frustrates me. I wonder if there’s a stat on how many times he’s gone out reversing? It must be a staggering percentage, perhaps exceeding Inzy runouts. :lol:
The first thing is to cut out the ways that get you out. The three obvious ways are don’t reverse if you’re not doing it well, keep the ball on the ground, hit it in the V until you’ve got the pace of the wicket.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:58 pm
Making a hundred is not easy. You can get the odd hundred by cutting loose and having a great day, but the guys that have a few under their belts have a method that works for them and they’re disciplined.
BT frustrates me. I wonder if there’s a stat on how many times he’s gone out reversing? It must be a staggering percentage, perhaps exceeding Inzy runouts. :lol:
The first thing is to cut out the ways that get you out. The three obvious ways are don’t reverse if you’re not doing it well, keep the ball on the ground, hit it in the V until you’ve got the pace of the wicket.
Fuck the reverse. No one plays the reverse well. Even Mushfiq, who is a god at playing the sweep shot looks like he could reverse it straight into the hands of backward point every time he plays the shot. It’s the most cringe worthy shot in cricket IMO.

Sweeping should be restricted to the paddle sweep, and slog sweep. Coaches should ban the reverse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 pm

Fuck the reverse. No one plays the reverse well. Even Mushfiq, who is a god at playing the sweep shot looks like he could reverse it straight into the hands of backward point every time he plays the shot. It’s the most cringe worthy shot in cricket IMO.

Sweeping should be restricted to the paddle sweep, and slog sweep. Coaches should ban the reverse.
No doubt, I hate the reverse sweep especially when it's a shot that gets you out

You shouldn't play the reverse sweep until you're at a point in your innings where you're set and you've already got a decent score. BT plays it on 1 and has gotten out plenty of times doing so (His Test return FFS)
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I never felt any unease when Andy Flower brought out his reverse sweeps. He even premeditated some, but he had so much time to even reverse his decision to reverse sweep and go for a conventional one once he committed himself. He also could predict the full balls well and only got down for those. Andy Flower was possibly the best ever when it came to that shot. So, when done well, it is still very effective, but the way Taibu and Taylor have misused it, it gets frustrating.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:01 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 pm

No doubt, I hate the reverse sweep especially when it's a shot that gets you out

You shouldn't play the reverse sweep until you're at a point in your innings where you're set and you've already got a decent score. BT plays it on 1 and has gotten out plenty of times doing so (His Test return FFS)
I am only cool with a reverse sweep when you’ve already got a 100 and your team is in a position of strength.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The problem with our premium batsmen is that they are predictable. Very repetitive. Top teams have video analysts. You know BT will try reverse within 10 deliveries. Raza will try double step and hit a 6, he also rarely ducks a short ball. Ervine is weak just outside off stump early on. Williams is also suspect with the short ball.

Basically you can have a set game plan for our top 4 . This is where a batting coach comes in but when your senior players look at your batting coach andknow they are better players than the batting coach ever was you have a problem. They won't listen.