Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC
Posts: 2349
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by TapsC » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 am

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 pm
I can’t wrap my head around Ramaphosa’s actions. They’ve got about 5 “known” cases and he’s put SA on lockdown. No African leader has ever been this pro-active and I don’t buy it. Either it’s already a lot bigger than he’s letting on or it’s bullshit lip service. They want to be seen to be sitting at the big table and doing what normal countries do with no knowledge of how to actually go about it.
They will never ever close adjacent borders in Africa just for starters. If they officially close Beitbridge we’re really screwed because supplies will still get here, they’ll just be double the price again.
I understand that they want to limit a run on their broken health system but what i don’t understand- is the world wide goal to eradicate it? I don’t see how that’s possible. My understanding is that it’s here to stay and will keep revisiting us until there’s a vaccine. Also the possibility exists of it mutating.
So the goal has to be to keep it vaguely under control until there’s a vaccine. I don’t think that’s possible in Africa where every border is porous and there’s a free flow of people to and from China. If you’re not in the high risk category, catching it might not be the end of the world because theoretically you’ve now got immunity.
We’ve had one minister threaten US with war and now this moron indicates it’s happiness at it spreading through US, it would be a delight if it was the first official case here. :lol: If US are the first to develop a vaccine will she be the one sent to beg for it? Free of course!
I read there are closer to 60 cases now. I dont blame him. This virus has potential to really destroy Africa. I'm talking about millions of cases.

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 4494
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Kriterion_BD » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:46 am

TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 am

Seeing Wes get some runs there too would have convinced the last doubters he had.
i think Wes is a great find for ZIM especially because he’s so young. However his game right now reminds me of Tari Musakanda. Scores runs but plays a bit too much in the air. He will need to keep it on the ground more going forward.

He’s about 4 years younger than Tari so that’s the big positive.

But guys like K long to me are just stop gap solutions like Mire and Cephas. No technique just wild heaves. Will struggle to average much more than 20.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

TapsC
Posts: 2349
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by TapsC » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:46 am
TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 am

Seeing Wes get some runs there too would have convinced the last doubters he had.
i think Wes is a great find for ZIM especially because he’s so young. However his game right now reminds me of Tari Musakanda. Scores runs but plays a bit too much in the air. He will need to keep it on the ground more going forward.

He’s about 4 years younger than Tari so that’s the big positive.

But guys like K long to me are just stop gap solutions like Mire and Cephas. No technique just wild heaves. Will struggle to average much more than 20.
K Long has been disappointing for me. I won't lie. He has a very good List a average but his technique is seriously flawed. Stuey has work to do.

The most positive thing for me with the Wes situation is that I know he isn't the best batsman out of that group. its going to shock people. I think Shumba is capable of getting bigger scores and Myers is the best out of the bunch.

Donald
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Donald » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 am

Myers got a 50 against the UAE when they came for a tour last year. It was a warm up match I believe prior to the ODI.
So yea I believe he is a good player. Not the best world cup but had a good trip series in South Africa and anyone hitting 80 odd against India is not to be sniffed at

TapsC
Posts: 2349
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by TapsC » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 am

I wonder who you guys think will be the next guy not part of the big 4 to score an international century?
The candidates have to be Burl Musakanda Wes Prince Murray Shumba Myers PJ and Kasuza.

I'm going for Ryan Murray in a test match meaning that it won't happen this year. Don't see any of the guys getting an ODI century although I think Tari could come close. Maybe Burl if he opens but I'm sticking with my first pick

Googly
Posts: 6118
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Googly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

We need to play some games in order for any batsmen to make runs. We need to deal in the dreaded 50’s first. :lol:
I’m not sure we have a younger batsman that can make 100 against a big side anymore, cricket has moved on and we’ve gone in reverse big time.
It’s trebly difficult coming in at 20-4 chasing 400.
Maybe this Corona will slow down the internationals and everyone else can get a taste of what it’s like not to play for a few months?
Murray is/was a good player, we just don’t know anymore. We haven’t seen him for years, he’s becoming a mythical creature that we’re hoping has become even better in secret somewhere, maybe he’s been undercover training at the Muzarabani Centre of Excellence?
You take a season off at a young age it’s hard to get into it again, you don’t play FC for years and you’re into long shot territory.
Every possible means of jigging our cricket has been successfully implemented by The Muppets.

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 am
I wonder who you guys think will be the next guy not part of the big 4 to score an international century?
The candidates have to be Burl Musakanda Wes Prince Murray Shumba Myers PJ and Kasuza.

I'm going for Ryan Murray in a test match meaning that it won't happen this year. Don't see any of the guys getting an ODI century although I think Tari could come close. Maybe Burl if he opens but I'm sticking with my first pick
From what I’ve seen,
Wes- no.
Controversial opinion because he’s the darling atm, but when I think about it, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s not in the ‘Zimbo century’ club. Throughout the WC campaign he got out just after fifty a lot. As he did against Bangladesh. Granted, he’s super talented and is hitting fifties with ease, but atm I’m getting the feeling he’s a young black version of Sean Williams. This is still a compliment. He will just take time to start hitting centuries. Eventually possibly our best.

Kasuza- No. Fuck no. Too slow. Buys too much time to get out. Very much a card carrying zimbo century member.

Murray- No. purely because I’ve seen no indication he will be part of the setup soon, and then he will need a few innings to get settled, even more to get into the swing of super competitive cricket. He’s a long term prospect. One of the guys no one has shown online Universities options too.

Burl- No/outside chance. He needs to break into the team first and get that fifty out of the way, and be up the earlier batting slots. He ain’t doing it from number 8. He is a small chance though.

Musakanda- See above. He is Burl, but black. More likely to be up the order so probably slightly better chance if he commits.

Prince- Yes. He’s matured. He’s had a few fifties and just got one in first class. He opens so is in the spot to do it against the hard red ball. Only thing going against him is a PTSD history.

Shumba-yes! My pick. He will bat high. And got that century in one of his first 1st class digs. The reason why he’s my pick is because of what John Ward said. That he was being peppered and felt out of his depth, but battled through it, all the way to a century. He didn’t relax after fifty like everyone else does in the country. He pushed through. I think he will be a feast or famine type player like Ali Campbell was. Ducks and centuries. He won’t do it in 2020 though. We are a year away from a non Raza/Ervine/BT/Williams century, at earliest.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly
Posts: 6118
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Googly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:52 pm

I see Jayden Goodwin putting his Mission From God on hold for a while as well. Oppah Muchinguru’s God has immunized black Zimbabweans and it’s pointless being one of 5 Corona-ridden whites coughing your way to a hard earned 20 whilst the general population jeer at your misfortune of not being part of the Master Race from the sidelines. If Zanu were actually players on the World stage they’d make Hitler and his crew look like Mother Theresa, thank My God that they couldn’t run a bath :lol:
What message does he bring anyway? God is already here benevolently looking after The Annointed Ones.
There are more thieving pastor charlatans here than you can shake a stick at :lol: , that base is firmly covered, it’s going to be well nigh impossible for him to find a religious niche here, especially if he’s genuine :lol:
His only message can be that God is actually white and it’s all a trick and to repent :lol:, get some doubt going and exploit that. :lol:
If he times it with the real and imminent Corona outbreak he can exploit the anguish and soul searching :lol:
Incidentally I’m not actually anti religion, I just despise those that exploit it and hide behind it and peddle it. There’s a place in Hell for them. :lol:
And the people that think theirs is better than yours :lol:
Hell is gonna need to be roomy!

Googly
Posts: 6118
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Googly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:55 pm

For sure a hundred is going to need to come from a youngster in the top 3 or they’ll run out of partners.
I live in hope of Wes playing as he does against a top bowling attack. He’s my pick.

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 4494
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Zim Board XI & Chairman XI picked

Post by Kriterion_BD » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:29 pm

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm
TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 am
I wonder who you guys think will be the next guy not part of the big 4 to score an international century?
The candidates have to be Burl Musakanda Wes Prince Murray Shumba Myers PJ and Kasuza.

I'm going for Ryan Murray in a test match meaning that it won't happen this year. Don't see any of the guys getting an ODI century although I think Tari could come close. Maybe Burl if he opens but I'm sticking with my first pick
From what I’ve seen,
Wes- no.
Controversial opinion because he’s the darling atm, but when I think about it, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s not in the ‘Zimbo century’ club. Throughout the WC campaign he got out just after fifty a lot. As he did against Bangladesh. Granted, he’s super talented and is hitting fifties with ease, but atm I’m getting the feeling he’s a young black version of Sean Williams. This is still a compliment. He will just take time to start hitting centuries. Eventually possibly our best.

Kasuza- No. Fuck no. Too slow. Buys too much time to get out. Very much a card carrying zimbo century member.

Murray- No. purely because I’ve seen no indication he will be part of the setup soon, and then he will need a few innings to get settled, even more to get into the swing of super competitive cricket. He’s a long term prospect. One of the guys no one has shown online Universities options too.

Burl- No/outside chance. He needs to break into the team first and get that fifty out of the way, and be up the earlier batting slots. He ain’t doing it from number 8. He is a small chance though.

Musakanda- See above. He is Burl, but black. More likely to be up the order so probably slightly better chance if he commits.

Prince- Yes. He’s matured. He’s had a few fifties and just got one in first class. He opens so is in the spot to do it against the hard red ball. Only thing going against him is a PTSD history.

Shumba-yes! My pick. He will bat high. And got that century in one of his first 1st class digs. The reason why he’s my pick is because of what John Ward said. That he was being peppered and felt out of his depth, but battled through it, all the way to a century. He didn’t relax after fifty like everyone else does in the country. He pushed through. I think he will be a feast or famine type player like Ali Campbell was. Ducks and centuries. He won’t do it in 2020 though. We are a year away from a non Raza/Ervine/BT/Williams century, at earliest.
Agreed on all of those except for Prince. He looked far too limited vs BD to be a 100 quality batter. He had to be dropped 3 or 4 times just to score 60 odd. Imagine what a good fielding side like NZ could do. He might not get off the mark in an entire series!
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rusty17 and 2 guests