Corona

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Corona

Post by Googly »

I’m just telling you that the requirement to work to get something to eat is going to override all else.

Even if you take an absolute worst case scenario where 5% of the world population dies it’s infinitely better than facing a recession that will take years to climb out of and will cause more deaths and misery to a much higher percentage of the population than the 5%, most of whom are past their sell by date anyway.

Googly

Post by Googly »

https://www.facebook.com/10002732862156 ... 40241/?d=n

Here’s what South Africans think of the Covid threat. There’s zero point in putting yourself through any isolation trauma if you don’t want to when most of the population are prepared to behave like this.
Please explain how cops watch this without batting an eye and then a block away they’re half killing you for daring to step out of your yard.
If/when they start falling off the perch they’ll play the apartheid/slavery card I guess and we’ll see which idiots come to the rescue.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/zim-cricke ... down-under

SOME Zimbabwean cricketers in Australia “miss” home as lockdowns continue “Down Under”, as in most parts of the world.

Australia closed its borders to non-citizens on March 20 and gatherings of more than two people are banned.

While the Australian cricket season is virtually over due to the coronavirus pandemic, unfortunately Zimbabwean players who had gone for club cricket could not return home due to the lockdown.

The Sunday Mail Sport sought to find out from some of them on how life has been.

“I wish l could fly back home, but at the moment we are stuck here,” said former Mountaineers wicketkeeper Tafadzwa Tsiga, who is playing for Rovers United Bruck in Wangaratta, Victoria.

“I was asked to contact the Zimbabwe embassy here in Australia and l did so, but they said due to the lockdowns by many countries, there is nothing much they can do and they advised l should extend my visa.

“I tried calling the Australian embassy, but was put on hold for a long time, so my club is still looking for a way to apply.”

The 25-year-old said their season had been affected by the pandemic.

He, however, has no regrets over skipping the Zimbabwe domestic season despite notable performances in his last stint with Mountaineers.

“We were supposed to play the semi-finals but they were called off,” he said.

“As much as l wanted to play in Zimbabwe, l ended up with no option but to come and play in Australia because l was not too sure when Zimbabwe was going to play again after the suspension from ICC.’’

Tsiga still dreams of playing for Zimbabwe.

“I miss my teammates, I miss playing at home. I would love to play for my country as well, so, yeah, it was a big decision for me.”

It is the same story with Innocent Kaia, who is spending most of his time on TV.

“I am always indoors playing FIFA.

“It is a scary time, but by the grace of God, we are safe,” he said.

Kaia was in top form for Albury Cricket Club.

“I played 12 games (and) scored 702 runs — three hundreds and four fifties . . . as a team, we played very well, we qualified for the finals after 12 years, but it couldn’t be played because of the virus.”

Kaia was one of the opening batters with a chance to open for Zimbabwe following the retirement of Hamilton Masakadza and Solomon Mire in 2019.

Why did he choose to go Australia?

“Even up to now it hurts me big time but I am sure I will open for my country soon.

“Our first class season started late, so I had no option, plus growing up it was my dream to play cricket in Australia . . . different conditions.

“My dream is to play for Zimbabwe.”

Tendai Maruma, who was on the books of Marnoo Cricket Club, is glad people are complying with the lockdown.

“The struggle is real and the virus is there. People are much disciplined here, the lockdown is going smoothly, not many cases recorded, no case recorded in my area. NHS department is doing a great job and, of course, the police are also playing a big role. For the past two weeks, places are really quiet, no activity at all.

“Work-wise, we still have people working, like hospitals, pharmacies, food shops, all the services people need on a day-to-day basis.’’

Maruma also revealed that he had a tough start to the season, but later improved.

“It took time to get used to the environment and playing conditions, but I managed to redeem myself last quarter . . . I was explosive in the second half of the season.

“I managed to finish the season with just over 600 runs and 35 wickets. We came short in the finals.

“For the past five years, I have been playing overseas, challenging and developing my game; all just to make myself ready for the next challenge, which is international cricket.

“I am doing well here, I am trying to keep myself clear, anywhere where an opportunity comes out, I will grab it with pleasure.

“But, of course, my options are still open to play for my country,” he said.

National women’s cricket team player Anesu Mushangwe is also in Adelaide, Australia.

She said: “At first, it was hard to practice because all sporting activities were banned. But the good thing is we are allowed to practise, which I am doing.

Social distancing

“The plan is to keep working, practising and correcting my mistakes from last season . . .

“I cannot say I am stuck as such. I am already preparing for next season and also for Zimbabwe’s games in July — that is if we play them.’’

Taurai Muzarabani is similarly marooned in Australia and has been in constant communication with his family back home.

“Nothing to complain about, life is normal here. We can still do our daily routines, making sure we still maintain our social distancing.

“I have been in touch with my brothers and sisters and I have spoken to my kids.

“My season was not affected, but we lost in the semi-finals of the Premiership,” said Muzarabani, who played for OMK.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2020/04/1 ... -zimbabwe/

Taylor bemoans Covid-19 effects on Zimbabwe
April 12, 2020 in Sport
BY DANIEL NHAKANISO

AS the coronavirus pandemic continues to wreak havoc on the global sporting industry and other aspects of life, Zimbabwe cricket stalwart captain Brendan Taylor has expressed concern over the potentially damaging effect the coronavirus-induced long break could have on the national team’s performances.

Zimbabwe could turn out to be one of the biggest losers from the Covid-19 pandemic prompted break as they were anticipating a rare packed international calendar this year.

The Chevrons kicked off the year with a two-match Test series at home to Sri Lanka before touring Bangladesh for a lone Test, three One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and two Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is).

On the cards was another three-ODI and three-T20I home series against Ireland in Bulawayo, which would have been played last week.

Ad by Valueimpression
There are some bilateral series against Afghanistan and Australia scheduled for June and July.

Zimbabwe are then scheduled to host India in a three-match ODI series in August and Netherlands the following month for three ODIs before a tour to Sri Lanka for three ODIs and two T20Is follow in October.

Despite the busy schedule, local players have been inactive after Zimbabwe Cricket was forced to postpone all cricket activities as the country is currently under a 21-day lockdown to stem the coronavirus outbreak while the country’s head coach Lalchand Rajput is locked up in his native India.

Taylor believes such a scenario will impact the team’s progress after getting the season off to a promising start with some solid performances against Sri Lanka before finding the going tough in Bangladesh.

“Personally, this break is not doing us any favours,” Taylor told Standardsport in an interview.

“I feel we are a team that needs to be playing more often; we’ve always been starved of cricket. This year we had a full schedule of international cricket, but that’s now been jeopardised by this pandemic. So it’s extremely frustrating and hurtful times.

“But there are people out there losing their lives and their loved ones to this terrible virus, so at the end of the cricket is not so important anymore, is it?” he said.

The 34-year-old former national captain believes the Zimbabwe side tends to perform better on a consistent basis when they play more matches over an extended period, something which they have not managed to do in recent years.

“We’d have obviously wanted to be playing, I’m sure everyone would have wanted that because in the past we gained momentum when we were playing regularly and unfortunately we’ve always been hampered by the fact that we play a series and then we don’t play for three or four months.

“[But] there’s a bigger picture here and cricket will come back eventually and when that time comes everyone will be chomping at the bit to get going,” Taylor said.

Taylor revealed that he has been using the current lockdown to spend more time with his family and also working on his fitness by following training programmes given to the players by the technical team.

“I’ve just been trying to focus on the positives, which is getting time to be with your family. As cricketers, we spend so much time away from family, so you get to appreciate being with them and use it wisely. It has taught me to do different things with my kids, which I didn’t normally do with them, think outside the box and be a little bit creative with them. It’s been a hard period no doubt, hopefully it passes,” Taylor said.

“Besides spending time with friends and family, I’ve used my time to focus on some fitness training. The lockdown is no excuse not to do anything, so our trainings have been very productive as we’ve been adhering to the programmes the coaches put out there for the players to adhere to and that’s been a lot of fun.”

Taylor said after the pandemic he was looking forward to playing an active role in coming up with initiatives to assist local communities and business, which would have been affected by the coronavirus.

“I think it’s a time where as players we can be a little more proactive, setting up GoFundMe pages trying to help the old, the homeless, and that’s a big issue in our country. When this virus comes to an end it will be nice to support local business, restaurants and other areas that are in desperate need and that’s where as players we are very lucky to be in a position to give back.”

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:55 am
I’m just telling you that the requirement to work to get something to eat is going to override all else.

Even if you take an absolute worst case scenario where 5% of the world population dies it’s infinitely better than facing a recession that will take years to climb out of and will cause more deaths and misery to a much higher percentage of the population than the 5%, most of whom are past their sell by date anyway.
If People don’t believe in microbiology, epidemiology or science that’s fair. If they want to place themselves in harms way so the billionaires don’t run out of Criss and wagyu great. But the problem is that they will spread the disease to those of us who want to survive before rebuilding the economy.

Fortunately, 90% of people irrespective of their political beliefs have self preservation. people were
In lockdown we’ll before governments mandated it. 150+ countries all can’t be wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

You must be living on another planet perhaps? That lame story of people having to work to keep the billionaires in the manner to which they’re accustomed doesn’t wash here. A couple of comments have already been made with the usual racial angle but it’s so lame. 80% of people in Africa are carrying on as if there’s nothing amiss. There are a couple of reasons for that, firstly they can’t afford to be in lockdown and secondly they’re not seeing much evidence of the disease here and they’re wondering what the fuss is about.
It has to be here and it didn’t just get here and it doesn’t seem to be having the same effect here as in other continents. We’re all crossing our fingers.

Personally I’d rather everyone ignored the lockdown (which they mostly are) or there wasn’t one. That way those that choose to isolate have a shorter period in which they have to. What of the second and third wave of this as well?

150 countries can be wrong, why create a world recession with devastating long term consequences far greater than a tiny percentage of people expiring?
All the supposed experts are saying nearly everyone will ultimately be exposed to it and will contract it, well let’s get on with it. You sound like you’ve bought some speculative shares in Big Pharma :lol:

We don’t need first world solutions for third world problems, it can’t work.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 am

We don’t need first world solutions for third world problems, it can’t work.
Its in Africa and I'd imagine tens of thousands are dying but no one knows about it because very few have been tested. Its not like COVID patients suddenly burst into flames and turn to ash. People with COVID most likely die of secondary causes like sepsis, pneumonia, respiratory failure, multi-organ failure, kidney failure, liver failure, heart attack, cerebrovascular accident, or 1001 other things. Stuff that kills people everday, so unles you're testing the cadavers you won't know.

In the US, African Americans who make up 12% of the population are making up 50% of the COVID fatalities, so no Africans are not magically immune.

There is only one fact above all else: if we don't have an MD degree we aren't qualified to give medical or public health advice or strategies. Its that simple. Our friend Anusha Gamage is more suited to giving cricketing advice. This hubris only puts everyone at risk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well currently tens of thousands aren’t dying, and yes people can give informed opinions without a medical degree, a gynecological medical certificate from some dodgy university is absolutely no guarantee a doctor knows a thing about a virus, or has a jot of common sense, I know a few examples.
I wasn’t suggesting black herd immunity either, what I am saying is that it’s here, has been here for a while and has not caused the mass deaths that everyone is anticipating....yet.
Last edited by Googly on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 am

All the supposed experts are saying nearly everyone will ultimately be exposed to it and will contract it, well let’s get on with it.

The problem is not to prevent people from getting it, it's to prevent huge numbers from getting it that overwhelm health systems and result in far greater deaths than if controlled.

Just because you value human life so lowly does not mean the rest of us have to do the same.

The idea that the economy will struggle is perpetuated by those in positions of power who will lose money. Yet not a single one of them is digging in to pay their staff or assist their staff in these hard times. They are happy to sit on their millions and complain that the lockdown means they can't make more.

The argument that a lockdown will stagnate the economy is because the 1% do not want to delve in to their pockets to do their fair share.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s absolute rubbish. How many people need to get sick simultaneously in Zimbabwe to overwhelm our health system, do you have any idea? I’ll give you a heads up, it’s less than 100.
Our economy in zim won’t be too affected because 90% of our population live and work in the informal sector, but SA is going to take an absolute pasting.
Don’t talk to me about not valuing human life :lol:
We’ll keep this conversation going because it’s all about to roll out one way or the other and we’ll soon see if people in Bangladesh, America and Australia have more of a handle on this place than I do.