Corona

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Corona

Post by Jemisi »

I agree with a lot of that zimbos. Especially the bit about Trump never admitting an error.

The problem we all face is that there is plenty of bias and falsehood floating around on both, or perhaps I should say, all sides.

I like watching Chas on Planet America, he gives a good deal of room to all sides and does a fair effort of judging the various biases.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:23 am
The problem we all face is that there is plenty of bias and falsehood floating around on both, or perhaps I should say, all sides.
A bit of clarification is needed. Both sides have bias - itself not a bad thing. Everyone has bias. However, only the conservative side intentionally lies about many (if not most things). There is a big difference between making your case and making stuff up to make your case. There is a difference in following the science and data and then forming a position and using a position to create the science and data.

An example of bias would be me saying "I like Mushfiqur Rahim's batting". I could even say something ridiculous like "Rahim is a better batsman than Virat Kohli". However if I say "Rahim has scored more runs than Kohli" that is verifiably false and not cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

You're a bit wrong Kriterion. It is not only the conservatives who intentionally lie. I have seen it happen on both sides and sometimes the left too push the boundaries out.

I think what we are seeing is conservatives doing it more, and doing it without regard or concern of the effects of their claims.

The protests in the US are a good example. Dr Phil went on Fox News and said that more than 300k people die from swimming accidents every year in the US. Only problem is that he is off by about 299k. However, that will be used to support the argument against a lockdown, but does not take in to account that Dr Phil is not a medical doctor with any skills in this kind of outbreak.

Lying happens on both sides. Don't misconstrue the left as pure and perfect. Learn to differentiate between how people lie and what effect it has.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:03 am
You're a bit wrong Kriterion. It is not only the conservatives who intentionally lie. I have seen it happen on both sides and sometimes the left too push the boundaries out.
I am fairly certain you are mistaken. The left is guilty of using faulty logic when it comes to personal responsibility especially as it pertains to sexuality and rape culture. But I am not aware of any issue where the left consistently lies, obfuscates, denies, or fabricates. Key word, consistently. There may be some nutjob who does on some podcast no one has ever heard of. But the difference is, the majority of the left whether its Bill Maher, or Anderson Cooper, or Chris Cuomo doesn't do what the Sean Hannity's or Laura Ingraham's or Ben Shapiro's do when it comes to following facts or data. Where do you think climate change denialism comes from?

If anyone one here can point out a CONSISTENT patter of some well-known liberal pundit intentionally and/or blatantly lying, I'll be happy to agree. Dr Phil to my knowledge is a nobody. I wasn't even aware that he was a liberal (is he?).

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:19 am

I am fairly certain you are mistaken. The left is guilty of using faulty logic when it comes to personal responsibility especially as it pertains to sexuality and rape culture. But I am not aware of any issue where the left consistently lies, obfuscates, denies, or fabricates. Key word, consistently. There may be some nutjob who does on some podcast no one has ever heard of. But the difference is, the majority of the left whether its Bill Maher, or Anderson Cooper, or Chris Cuomo doesn't do what the Sean Hannity's or Laura Ingraham's or Ben Shapiro's do when it comes to following facts or data. Where do you think climate change denialism comes from?

If anyone one here can point out a CONSISTENT patter of some well-known liberal pundit intentionally and/or blatantly lying, I'll be happy to agree. Dr Phil to my knowledge is a nobody. I wasn't even aware that he was a liberal (is he?).
You misread me. I never said the left are consistent, I said that the left also make mistakes and errors. We can't ignore those and brush them off to the side if we want to talk about legitimacy, truth and righteous governance.

Whilst consistent lying is obviously worse, a lie that leads to a personal or positional gain does not make it an acceptable lie.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:44 am

You misread me. I never said the left are consistent, I said that the left also make mistakes and errors. We can't ignore those and brush them off to the side if we want to talk about legitimacy, truth and righteous governance.

Whilst consistent lying is obviously worse, a lie that leads to a personal or positional gain does not make it an acceptable lie.
Mistakes and errors are by definition unintentional. Anyone can make a mistake. Lying, fabricating, and obfuscating aren't. Not everyone is a liar.

Politicians lie all the time, left and right. Within that, I think left leaning ones lie somewhat less. But the focus here is on journalists and other media personalities.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:17 am

Mistakes and errors are by definition unintentional. Anyone can make a mistake. Lying, fabricating, and obfuscating aren't. Not everyone is a liar.

Politicians lie all the time, left and right. Within that, I think left leaning ones lie somewhat less. But the focus here is on journalists and other media personalities.
Mistake was the incorrect wording from me. Lies are what we are talking about.

Just because someone may lie less or not as obviously, does not make that lying excusable.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The CNN activists are going to Hell. That Dan Cuomo, my current pet hate who pretended to have covid and pretended to be isolating in his basement was actually out and about all the time. Left wing scumbag :lol:

You two lovebirds need to stop bickering and listen to some real news.

https://youtu.be/PVR1V_twFEU

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:00 am

Just because someone may lie less or not as obviously, does not make that lying excusable.
You're going to have to give me an example that meets the threshold of conservative liars:

- must be done consistently
- must be a prominent political pundit or activist
- must be done intentionally ie its a veriable claim or a proven falsehood

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:00 am

You're going to have to give me an example that meets the threshold of conservative liars:

- must be done consistently
- must be a prominent political pundit or activist
- must be done intentionally ie its a veriable claim or a proven falsehood
You're missing my point. I agree with you. I'm just saying that there are times when people on the left lie too. Not consistently or as prominently as the right, but they do lie sometimes. We have to acknowledge that because what the right does is lie vigorously, and when they get called out on it, they will bring up the one time that left did it and as majority media is controlled by the right, they then run the narrative.

You can't ask for something if you are not going to exhibit the same levels within yourself or your party.