Corona

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Corona

Post by sloandog »

robbocricket wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 pm
I go out and do daily exerise every day. I never see 'countless kids on bikes' or 'groups of people walking together'. I see plenty of families out and about which is allowed. If what you are saying is what you see all the time then you must be living in a city
I live in a village on the edge of a town, surrounded by countryside and a golf course. People are using it as an area where they can get away with not social distancing. I'm up and on a run every morning at 7am and there's nobody about, then I'll take the dog for a walk around mid day (golf course currently closed) and there's kids on bikes, there's young people sat on the grass banks who clearly are not of the same household and, yes, believe it or not, i even see middle aged individuals going on 'socially distanced walks' whatever the fuck that is. It's complete bollocks to even begin thinking that the country will recover within the next year. The F&B industry is on it's knees and the the furlough scheme is going to bleed the tax payers dry in the months and years to come.
robbocricket wrote:
You can walk straight into the main supermarkets most times of the day - limited numbers are allowed in at a time and strict enforcement of keeping your distance if you do have to queue outside. Inside more strict enforcement not least when queuing up to pay.
Suggesting that 'strict enforcement' is in play in the supermarkets is laughable. They can paint as many arrows on the floor and ave as many designated queuing areas as they like, the fact of the matter is people do not adhere to these rules and the staff are some of the worst culprits, standing, chatting and completely forgetting these strictly enforced policies as you have pointed out...
I will agree with you that a lot of the country are doing their best to self isolate, myself and no doubt yourself included, but I'm not having a 99.9% stat thrown out there so carelessly, because that's fascicle. I don't suffer from anxiety but shopping in these supermarkets at the moment is causing me and my Mrs a psychological meltdown. Idiots walking the wrong way, people being rude and parents taking their kids with them?? Granted this isn't the case in all supermarkets and certain times are worse than others, but it's not going to improve.
robbocricket wrote:
I will ignore your nonsensical comment as to 'Brits' being 'entitled and arrogant' (whatever that means) with the population being some 60 odd million
You're British, and yet you fail to see that a large portion of the younger, middle aged and older generations in this country are privileged, entitled and completely oblivious to the repercussions of not sticking to the rules. I know 60% or maybe even 70% are doing their best, but the rest are fucking this up! Do you really think it's by accident that we're one of the worst effected countries in Europe?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

robbocricket wrote:
I will ignore your nonsensical comment as to 'Brits' being 'entitled and arrogant' (whatever that means) with the population being some 60 odd million
Oh the irony

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think its important to realize a few things.

The lockdown is not meant to be a cure or prevent COVID deaths. Its sole aim is to MINIMIZE the spread of the virus/disease and thus MINIMIZE deaths. The issue here is that critical supplies such as PPE, ICU beds, the number of physicians and nurses are all limited resources. The objective of slowing the rate of incidence of disease is to primarily reduce the number of patients and secondarily to make sure they don't all have to go to the hospital at once. A single bee sting won't kill a person, but if a thousand bees all swarm you at once, they probably could.

Thus while is true that 20-30% of people who are refusing to social distance, wear masks, or reopen business is bad in the sense that those people can easily spread it to the remaining 70%, its also true that 70% of people maintaining social distancing is better than 50%. It may not be seem like a big difference, but its a start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 am
robbocricket wrote:
Oh the irony
😂😁

robbocricket

Post by robbocricket »

sloandog wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 pm

I live in a village on the edge of a town, surrounded by countryside and a golf course. People are using it as an area where they can get away with not social distancing. I'm up and on a run every morning at 7am and there's nobody about, then I'll take the dog for a walk around mid day (golf course currently closed) and there's kids on bikes, there's young people sat on the grass banks who clearly are not of the same household and, yes, believe it or not, i even see middle aged individuals going on 'socially distanced walks' whatever the fuck that is. It's complete bollocks to even begin thinking that the country will recover within the next year. The F&B industry is on it's knees and the the furlough scheme is going to bleed the tax payers dry in the months and years to come.
You're British, and yet you fail to see that a large portion of the younger, middle aged and older generations in this country are privileged, entitled and completely oblivious to the repercussions of not sticking to the rules. I know 60% or maybe even 70% are doing their best, but the rest are fucking this up! Do you really think it's by accident that we're one of the worst effected countries in Europe?
[/quote]

One of the reasons (along with USA) we are the worst affected is that the virus came to us via the hundreds of thousands coming in to Heathrow airport (and then on to USA if they stayed in UK after arriving here). USA didn't get the virus from China it came to them via Italy (and to a lesser degree UK and Spain) as most flights from Europe go through JFK or Newark. Read new York Governor Cuomo on this

I'll admit my 99.9% is wrong but I maintain (despite what you see in your mid-day walk) that 95% of our 60 odd million are following the rules (which is pretty good). If you are expecting 100% compliance you'll never see it. We are not Wuhan (where the Communist party welded entrance doors of apartments to stop people getting out)

As for 'older generations in this country are privileged, entitled and completely oblivious to the repercussions of not sticking to the rules' is utter nonsense. There are many wealthy 'older' people but there are also plenty 'older' people who have just the state pension or income support to live on. From what I've seen its the 'older' generation that have been sticking to the rules more than any other 'generation' - not least those over with underlying health problems and staying at home. My next door neighbour has been advised to say at home for 14 weeks and he is doing so

Carry on moaning if you so wish (we are as good as any country in the world for moaning and complaining) but we are in once in a generation pandemic in which everybody has to come to terms with. Some can, some cannot

And why you are resorting to swearing heaven knows as there is no need for it any any forum

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'll admit my 99.9% is wrong but I maintain (despite what you see in your mid-day walk) that 95% of our 60 odd million are following the rules..
Again, your numbers are well off if you think only 5% of Britain are not adhering to the rules. However for the sake of moving on I'll leave this here.
robbocricket wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 am
As for 'older generations in this country are privileged, entitled and completely oblivious to the repercussions of not sticking to the rules' is utter nonsense. There are many wealthy 'older' people but there are also plenty 'older' people who have just the state pension or income support to live on. From what I've seen its the 'older' generation that have been sticking to the rules more than any other 'generation' - not least those over with underlying health problems and staying at home. My next door neighbour has been advised to say at home for 14 weeks and he is doing so
If you'd have bothered to read what I wrote you'd have noticed I said all generations in this nation have an air of entitlement strapped to their backs, not just the older generation. Again, as I've already mentioned, my girlfriend is diabetic and my brothers girlfriend has a low immune system so they too have to isolate for 14 weeks, they too are following the rules...what's your point? I have elderly grandparents and they are following the procedures. I'm not saying every OAP or middle aged individual is breaking the lock down, I'm saying that a decent enough portion are which is illustrated by the continued drastic death toll in the country.
Carry on moaning if you so wish (we are as good as any country in the world for moaning and complaining) but we are in once in a generation pandemic in which everybody has to come to terms with. Some can, some cannot
Mate don't come at me with not being able to handle it, or that I'm moaning. I've lost a family member to the virus who I was close with and I have immediate family who are extremely vulnerable. So excuse me for getting angry when I see and hear snowflakes like you telling me that we're all in this together, that 95% of the nation are abiding by the rules etc; we aren't, period.
And why you are resorting to swearing heaven knows as there is no need for it any any forum
:roll: You've clearly not read the DOGG's posts

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 am
In the UK it’s equally as shambolic. Brits are incredibly arrogant and entitled
All you had to do was use the word 'some'! Smh

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

andrewn9 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:44 am
sloandog wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 am
In the UK it’s equally as shambolic. Brits are incredibly arrogant and entitled
All you had to do was use the word 'some'! Smh
Indeed, only some of the British are incredibly entitled and arrogant

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Britain is the country that colonised half the world, and named a bunch of cities and suburbs in Oz, The US, Canada after English towns and cities.

And introduced foxes to Australia because they missed having them around and so many other animals and foreign species, but no, not arrogant and entitled at all 😝

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti English at all, and so what if you guys are arrogant, own it? You need it to be successful a lot of the time and the British Empire has been extremely successful and created the most livable nations on Earth!

But it's manifested In a bad way if what Sloans saying is true.

Also, I think I can back my theory that 60-75% of Brots are doing the right thing.

I saw a graph that was widely distributed two months ago on what happens to the corona spread correlated to people adhering to lockdowns.
The jist of it was;
If 90% of people adhere, it goes within three months.
If 80% adhere, it drops down significantly and starts to Peter out at the back end of 2020.
If 70% adhere, it keeps spreading but at a controlled rate where it doesn't go berserk and take over the country, but isn't eradicated in any way.

Anything less and the virus spreads like fire.

By that logic, Britain is probably around that 70% mark and Australia 80% (also accelerated by extreme border security and wide open spaces) which is not far off my instincts and observations.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Being outdoors is actually fairly safe according to all the studies I have read, the aerosol transmission of coronavirus happens when people are around each other for extended periods indoors. I found this article quite interesting: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-ri ... avoid-them
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes