Corona

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Corona

Post by eugene »

No, Italian doctors are saying that it is disappearing due to a rapidly declining lethality.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ors-2020-6
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 pm
No, Italian doctors are saying that it is disappearing due to a rapidly declining lethality.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ors-2020-6
I am not a microbiologist, but as I understand it viral load is more of a measure of infectivty, not lethality. Coronavirus itself wasn’t all that lethal, I think only 5-10% mortality rate. Compared to Ebola or HIV (100% mortality if u treated) It’s perniciousness is from its high prevalence with millions infected globally (and that’s with essentially zero cases being reported in Asia and Africa).

The data that is coming out from most Western nations is that # of cases are still increasing, but at decreasing rate (ie curves appear to be flattening).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Also it appears the central claim seems to be controversial inside Italy itself. It appears South America is the new epicenter.

I just hope Test cricket resumes this summer.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Thankfully Brazil isn't integral to the cricketing landscape. I don't really understand how this pandemic isn't running rampant in the subcontinent? Perhaps so many people die every day in the slums of one thing or another there that nobody would even notice?

I am guessing the T20 CWC will be cancelled, not much of a loss to be honest.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:54 pm
Thankfully Brazil isn't integral to the cricketing landscape. I don't really understand how this pandemic isn't running rampant in the subcontinent?
The numbers are VASTLY underreported in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh. Pakistan is reporting 2000 deaths, India 5000, and Bangladesh around 600 or so I believe. I would probably multiply all of those by at least 5x, and possibly 10x. Most deceased are probably not even being tested for the virus.

Interestingly Sri Lanka says they have flattened their curve, but I think they had a recent spike in the last few days as well.

Windies have agreed to tour England next month. UK government has essentially given the green light. Now its upto the governments of Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad, etc to finalize the tour. We will almost surely see Test cricket in a few weeks time. But it will different, and it is now probably apparent that this virus is going to be with us for the forseeable future.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Sobering (for Americans) graphical data comparing COVID incidence in the United States vs the EU, our closest comparison in terms of culture, wealth, size, climate, population, and education levels.

Also worth remembering that by facing the crisis a few weeks after Asia and Europe, the US had a head start, and should have fared at least slightly better, not far worse. Its akin to winning the toss in a home Test, batting first, and still getting beaten by an innings.
Attachments
covid.jpg
covid.jpg (88.6 KiB) Viewed 3075 times

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Very grim situation in India folks, there are dead bodies cremated on footpaths, graveyards are full, no place even for the dead, there is no oxygen, no hospital beds. People dying waiting for a bed. We are reporting 3.5 lakh cases / day and the actual number may be 10 times higher or May be even more.

You wouldn't know that watching the IPL, but I've never seen anything like this before. Very grim situation.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

It's sounds absolutely apocalyptic in India. I can't believe the IPL is being played when there's a national crisis like that. People are literally suffocating to death while Chris Morris earns 3 million. Awful situation.
At least Cummins has donated 50K for oxygen supply

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Poor India.
All those articles saying ‘Indians are immune’ hasn’t aged well.

It looks as if it’s not the virus, but the numbers mean the vulnerable aren’t getting basic treatment and dying preventable deaths in the street.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yup! Lot of preventable deaths mate. Our health infrastructure has been brutally exposed. People became way too complacent, govt. learnt nothing from the first wave, there were massive rallies during election campaigning, massive religious gatherings, couple of months back crowds were allowed in the stadium, I don't know, we just took it for granted. Probably thought it's over.

I know families who have lost 4-5 members within days, all this and may be we are yet to reach the peak. 🥺🥺🥺