[DRAFT 1] Kriterion_BD, eugene, CrimsonAvenger, jaybro

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [DRAFT 1] Kriterion_BD, eugene, CrimsonAvenger, jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:49 pm
I'm torn between two names, and I know if I pick one, you'll gobble up the other :D. So giving it a bit of a detailed thought now that I have lost both KC and DF.
I have four players in mind here; I wonder if you’re thinking about the same
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

OK, he's a guy no Indian can forget. He wrecked havoc before the situation was salvaged by possibly one of the greatest ODI knocks in history. Kapil Dev's 175* in 1983.

Peter Rawson did not get a chance to play too many internationals for Zimbabwe, but was a brisk bowler who could hit 140 regularly from what I have read. Inspirational character, with a lots of FC and List A wickets at an excellent average of 24, and a healthy batting average of 22 in the lower order. My pick #24.
Kriterion_BD: (#1) Heath Streak, (#8) Guy Whittall, (#9) Alistair Campbell, (#16) Craig Ervine, (#17) Kyle Jarvis, (#24) Stuart Carlisle, (#25) Hamilton Masakadza

eugene: (#2) Andy Flower, (#7) Murray Goodwin, (#10) Andy Blignaut, (#15) Paul Strang, (#18) Tatenda Taibu, (#23) Duncan Fletcher, (#26) Tendai Chatara

CrimsonAvenger: (#3) Grant Flower, (#6) David Houghton, (#11) Eddo Brandes, (#14) Elton Chigumbura, (#19) Sean Williams, (#22) Ray Price, (#24) Peter Rawson

jaybro: (#4) Brendan Taylor, (#5) Neil Johnson, (#12) Sean Ervine, (#13) Graeme Cremer, (#20) Sikander Raza, (#21) Kevin Curran

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Ahh pay back is a bitch and you got me good there CA; Rawson was someone I had my eye on early and like you did for KC I was hoping I could get him next pick.

From what I’ve read and what I’ve been told Rawson is in the top bracket of seamers ever to come out of Zimbabwe.

That one hurts I’ll have to have a serious look at my side now

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, I knew you would go for Rawson given that you badly needed a front-line seamer. Guys like sloandog and Kriterion would be happy with my bowling lineup hopefully, two guys who could regularly hit 140+ clicks at their prime in Brandes and Rawson, and another regular 135+ guy in Chigs :).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

A bit of a mistake there. I should have said pick no. 27, not 24.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Duncan Fletcher had an ODI batting average of 47.75 and a bowling average of 31.57. Kevin Curran average 26 with the bat and 44 with the ball. I never saw either play but the stats suggest Fletcher was far ahead of Curran.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 am
Duncan Fletcher had an ODI batting average of 47.75 and a bowling average of 31.57. Kevin Curran average 26 with the bat and 44 with the ball. I never saw either play but the stats suggest Fletcher was far ahead of Curran.
Given that their international careers were so short, I had resorted to their List A and FC averages to make that call.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 am
I think the 6 ODIs DF played (all in the 83* WC) and the 11 ODIs KC played (83* & 87* WC) are too small a sample size to show a true reflection of their careers or who in deed was better. Looking at their career statistics in 1st Class cricket KC shades DF over their entire careers.

As I said before I was under the impression DF was up there with Andy as the greatest cricketer to come out of Zimbabwe; but I was informed that KC was indeed better.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Curran was a better bat than Fletcher

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

As for my next picks I was going to pick Peter Rawson; but Crimson beat me too it. I thought he might go for Henry Olonga or try to sure up his top order with not many good batsman left he might have gone for a Barney Rogers or Vusi Sibanda.

I have deliberated over picking both Rogers and Vusi to not only finish off my batting lineup; but to also strategically take two f the last quality batsman off the table. This how ever would almost certainly leave me no chance of getting Henry Olonga who is no doubt the best seamer left.

I feel my seam attack is strong with Johnson and Curran both more than capable of taking the new ball and being strike bowlers; but I feel not all the voters will feel the same, which leaves me with no choice but to take the last real strike bowler left available.

So with picks 28 & 29 I select

#28 Barney Rogers

#29 Henry Olonga

Rogers is another like Sean Ervine who was a massive loss due to the Rebel saga, although he did return he fell out again with the board just when it seemed his career was about to kick off.
Kriterion_BD: (#1) Heath Streak, (#8) Guy Whittall, (#9) Alistair Campbell, (#16) Craig Ervine, (#17) Kyle Jarvis, (#24) Stuart Carlisle, (#25) Hamilton Masakadza

eugene: (#2) Andy Flower, (#7) Murray Goodwin, (#10) Andy Blignaut, (#15) Paul Strang, (#18) Tatenda Taibu, (#23) Duncan Fletcher, (#26) Tendai Chatara

CrimsonAvenger: (#3) Grant Flower, (#6) David Houghton, (#11) Eddo Brandes, (#14) Elton Chigumbura, (#19) Sean Williams, (#22) Ray Price, (#24) Peter Rawson

jaybro: (#4) Brendan Taylor, (#5) Neil Johnson, (#12) Sean Ervine, (#13) Graeme Cremer, (#20) Sikander Raza, (#21) Kevin Curran, (#28 Barney Rogers, (#29) Henry Olonga