[DRAFT 1] Kriterion_BD, eugene, CrimsonAvenger, jaybro

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: [DRAFT 1] Kriterion_BD, eugene, CrimsonAvenger, jaybro

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

OK, I've made a huge detailed post of this - not sure how many would read it :). Also including a kit design, just like our domestic draft a few years ago... :D. Here goes, with the batting order in a typical ODI:

Team Crimson Avengers:

Grant Flower (C)
Solomon Mire
David Houghton
Sean Williams
Wesley Madhevere
Ryan Burl
Elton Chigumbura
Charles Coventry (WK)
Eddo Brandes
Peter Rawson
Ray Price

Grant Flower: Zimbabwe's very own Steve Waugh. A man who, with sheer hard work, overcame lack of batting "talent" and contributed exceptionally towards the team's cause against some of the best bowling attacks around the world. Whenever even the celebrated 90s team had its Zimbabwe Collapse moments, Grant more often than not stood like a rock anchoring the innings, pretty much like what Rahul Dravid did for India on overseas test tours. Possibly Zimbabwe's most successful ODI opener. Grant Flower also has 100+ ODI wickets bowling to some of the best batsmen of the day. So, I also trust him with his full quota of classical left arm spin. Possibly the most complete fielder ever to come out of Zimbabwe too. People mentioned Jonty Rhodes and Grant Flower in the same breath at their peak. He made backward point position his own and took some breathtaking catches. This man can lead by example, and since he did not get enough opportunities to lead Zimbabwe, I would also make him the captain of my side - so that his work ethic rubs off on others. No disrespect to Houghton, who was himself a massively hard working cricketer, but he has the all important job of marshaling the middle order. And Houghton would remain part of the brains trust.

Solomon Mire: Brings in the experience of playing with the Aussies and sharing their dressing room in grade cricket, who we are up against at HSC. Brings the belligerence to the top order that can complement Grant Flower's calmness and allow him to build his innings. Mire is given licence to replicate what he did against SL in SL and against touring Pak and Aussie teams in the T20 tri-series, where he was a stand out performer. Can also roll his arm over as second change bowler if the pitch is seamer friendly.

David Houghton: The first Zimbabwean cricketing legend. 1987 World Cup. 142 vs New Zealand. Enough said. A lot of his contemporaries believe that Houghton was way ahead of his time and was a perfect fit for today's T20 cricket and its innovative ways. Houghton's ODI average probably suffered because he had to keep playing for so many years after his prime, just because there weren't many players available to replace him. An outstanding cricketing brain, he'll anchor the middle order at 3 and help skipper Grant with on field decision making.

Sean Williams: One of the very few post 2000 Zimbabwean cricketers to have a consistent rate of producing 50+ scores. Has graduated to converting them to match winning ones of late too. Possibly the most naturally gifted cricketer to play for Zimbabwe after Andy Flower - and it shows in the fluency when he bats. Rightfully takes the no.4 spot in the line up. Can be called on to bowl some tight accurate left arm spin in case the pitch is spin friendly. Also an exceptional fielder.

Wesley Madhevere: Young gun with over 700 youth ODI runs, averaging 43 in his debut series away from home at a strike rate of 90+ and impressing one and all as a future star. Showed remarkable ability to take on the bowlers and rotate strike with ease, a feature needed for the batsman coming in at 5. Can be called upon to bowl some useful off-spin if necessary.

Ryan Burl: Another guy with over 700 youth ODI runs, and although his senior career hasn't kicked on due to various reasons including getting injured at wrong times and falling out with the authorities, he brings in the ability to hit some big sizes or score through strike rotation depending on the match situation. Also brings a nice left-right batting combination balance and useful leg spin if needed by the skipper.

Elton Chigumbura: We got our last ODI win against Australia thanks to his batting. We also got out last T20I win against Australia due to his bowling as one of the primary contributions. Out of the 3 matches we have ever won against the Aussies, he has had a huge say in 2 of them. He could not contribute to the other win just because he wasn't yet born. At his peak, Chigumbura was a sensational power hitter (more sixes for Zimbabwe than any other player?) and a consistently 135+ fast bowler who was a nightmare to the left handed batsmen in particular. A very safe pair of hands and good outfielder too.

Charles Coventry: A man who could upper cut Brett Lee for six in a large Indian stadium, a man who held the record for the highest ODI score in history before the 200 barrier was breached. Explosive hitter with great hand-eye co-ordination and can take any attack apart on his day. His international career never took off due to so many stop-starts but his talent was there to be seen. He also takes up the gloves and lets Houghton focus on his batting anchor role.

Eddo Brandes: Legendary chicken farmer who tore through the English line ups multiple times; taught reverse swing to the originators of reverse swing - the Pakistanis - on their own soil; and gave the most befitting reply to the Aussie sledging which is now part of the cricketing folklore. A consistent 140+ bowler in his prime and someone who could smoke a few big sixes on his day.

Peter Rawson: Terrorizing pace that reduced India to 17/5 before Kapil Dev did something extra-ordinary. Rawson's raw pace is well documented and he just could not get enough games to show his worth to the world. His first class and List A numbers are more than convincing to say that he was one of the best fast bowlers to come out of Zimbabwe, if not the best ever. Even John Ward, who has watched about 50 years of cricket in Zimbabwe has said on these forums that Rawson could be the best ever from the country. He was also a more than useful batsman who only bats at 10 in this line up because we have other more aggressive players go ahead of him due to this being an ODI.

Raymond Price: Former World no. 2 ODI bowler. No other Zimbabwean bowler ever rose to such levels. Finished his career with 100+ wickets and an economy rate of 3.99! Even in the era of T20 cricket that revolutionized ODI batting. Most said he was a spinner with a fast bowler's mindset. Aggressive to the core, and never afraid to take on a battle. And he is no tail-ender with the bat, having won a couple of close games with the bat too for his country. Basically, everybody loves Raymond :)

So, there - a team of high quality batsmen, with batting potential till 10, and 9 people who can roll their arm over - 4 pacers, 3 left arm spinners, an offie and a leggie, and the other two who can keep. A real all-round ODI team. Aussies, beware!

And the kit for team Crimson Avengers:
Kit.png
Kit.png (281.54 KiB) Viewed 2200 times

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I encourage the voters to not be blinded by Crimson's lengthy essay or colourful uniform design. These are designed to mask the shortcomings of his lineup compared to Team Eugene and possibly others also.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:15 pm
I encourage the voters to not be blinded by Crimson's lengthy essay or colourful uniform design. These are designed to mask the shortcomings of his lineup compared to Team Eugene and possibly others also.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Think Eugene's team will win but jaybro has the strongest bowling lineup
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I'll try to keep my spiel as short as possible; which might be difficult because I love to waffle on

Neil Johnson
Barney Rogers
Brendan Taylor wk
Craig Wishart
Sikander Raza
Sean Ervine
Kevin Curran
Travis Friend
Graeme Cremer c
John Traicos
Henry Olonga

Batting

With my openers Neil Johnson and Barney Rogers I have a strong partnership to get the innings off to a good start; both my openers average above 30 which is unheard of in Zimbabwe. You can extend that to my top 3 with Brendan Taylor coming at 1st drop; BT is Zimbabwe's best ODI batsman ever and has scored the most hundreds, in fact my XI have the most ODI tons of all 4 sides.

Craig Wishart starts off my middle order and despite his 'average average' he has scored 2 ODI tons and has all the shots. Next in is Sikander Raza who is one of the great ODI finishers Zimbabwe has produced, along with Sean Ervine who despite a short International career showed he was more than at home against the big boys as he proved during a long County Career. Another player who had a long storied County career was Kevin Curran who comes in at No.7; KC has the numbers to show he can lay claim to being one of Zimbabwe's greatest ever all-rounders.

If the Top order can lay a good platform then my middle to lower order of Raza, Slug, KC and the hard-hitting Travis Friend could certainly set an imposing total or chase down anything thrown at them.

Bowling

My XI contains 3 genuine seam bowling all-rounders with two of them being my new ball bowlers Curran and Johnson, KC was super-fast and according to our very own Googly he was probably the fastest white bowler in the world at his peak (no shame being slower than the Windies in the 80s). Johnson was good enough to take the new-ball in 99* WC being one of the few players to ever opening the bowling and batting!!!

Henry Olonga is my 1st change bowler and will share the death overs with Ervine who's changes of pace and slower ball variations make him difficult to get away in the final overs, Olonga is a match winner on his day as he proved in the 99* WC where he took 3 late wickets to steal an important victory over India to get Zimbabwe through to the Super Sixes.

If for some reason one of my front 4 seamers has an off-day I still have Travis Freind who can bowl with great pace & bounce; what other side has 5 quality seam options??

My bowling attack also contains 2 front line spinners in Graeme Cremer & John Traicos; whilst Cremer is my attacking spin option Traicos will do the containment and could also bowl with the new ball if needed. Raza also offers some more spin and has won many games for Zimbabwe with the ball; this gives me 3 genuine spin bowling options if my seam attack isn't making inroads, also with Cremer's 3 ODI 5-fors and Henry's 2 that gives my side the most 5-fors of the four teams.

In closing my side has the best Top 7 of the 4 teams and I feel my bowling attack has more depth and can handle any situation thrown at it; if seam isn't working I have 3 spinners, if spin isn't working I have 5 seamers!!!

Please Vote for My XI :D
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Team Big K

1) Hamilton Masakadza
2) PJ Moor
3) Alistair Campbell
4) Craig Ervine
5) Stuart Carlisle
6) Guy Whittall
7) Ryan Murray (wk)
8) Heath Streak (c)
9) Shingi Masakadza
10) Tendai Chisoro
11) Kyle Jarvis

Overall a decent team I think. Masakadza put up big aggregates given his long career, and while not an elite player, he was dangerous on his day. Moor has been solid in Tests and has shown an ability to hit big on occaision. Campbell and Ervine are class and while Carlisle may not have big numbers, he has a Test hundred in Australia which will always count for much. Whittall offers great utility at 6 with his all round skills. Murray is unproven, but a big talent and a fan favorite, so I thought he was the smartest pick for my squad with Mutombami and Chakabva still available. Streak is one of the best to ever represent Zimbabwe, and has experience of captaining the side too, a true triple threat. While I've never been a fan of the elder Masakadza, the 2nd Masakadza has always been a favorite of mine - being instrumental in the historic Test win vs Pakistan in 2013. I picked Chisoro, simply to play to the forumites' vote, and Jarvis I think is a very handy seamer. Overall I have 4 seam options - 5 if you include Golden Arm Hammy. Might be a be short on spin options though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Eugene’s team followed closely by jaybro but sorry ‘ big k ‘ that team isn’t beating anyone 😂
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Shingi didn’t play in the 2013 Test win over Pakistan either
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

One problem I see now is that, the younger generation of this forum wouldn't know about Rawson and Brandes and no matter what efforts I put in to secure a spectacular bowling attack, I'm most likely staring down the barrel. Probably it was important to include more recent names, and those players whose careers we see with "rose timted glasses" as jaybro puts it...