Draft 1 Poll

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Vote for the best XI to compete in an ODI vs Australia at HSC

Poll ended at Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:22 am

eugene XI
54%
CrimsonAvenger XI
8%
jaybro XI
38%
Kriterion_BD XI
No votes

Total votes: 13

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Draft 1 Poll

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Vote for the best XI to compete in an ODI vs Australia at HSC. To read the descriptions of each team click on the links provided below.

eugene XI: viewtopic.php?p=148253#p148253
1. Vusi Sibanda
2. Mark Vermeulen
3. Murray Goodwin
4. Andy Flower
5. Tatenda Taibu (w)
6. Duncan Fletcher (c)
7. Dougie Marillier
8. Andy Blignaut
9. Paul Strang
10. Ed Rainsford
11. Tendai Chatara
CrimsonAvenger XI: viewtopic.php?p=148255#p148255
Grant Flower (C)
Solomon Mire
David Houghton
Sean Williams
Wesley Madhevere
Ryan Burl
Elton Chigumbura
Charles Coventry (WK)
Eddo Brandes
Peter Rawson
Ray Price
jaybro XI: viewtopic.php?p=148266#p148266
Neil Johnson
Barney Rogers
Brendan Taylor wk
Craig Wishart
Sikander Raza
Sean Ervine
Kevin Curran
Travis Friend
Graeme Cremer c
John Traicos
Henry Olonga
Kriterion_BD XI: viewtopic.php?p=148268#p148268
1) Hamilton Masakadza
2) PJ Moor
3) Alistair Campbell
4) Craig Ervine
5) Stuart Carlisle
6) Guy Whittall
7) Ryan Murray (wk)
8) Heath Streak (c)
9) Shingi Masakadza
10) Tendai Chisoro
11) Kyle Jarvis

[Poll runs for 7 days]

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Draft 1 Poll

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Eugene's team wins every day of the week, how you other guys managed to be so far behind him I have no idea.

A better pol for me is who then faces Eugene in the grand final. Gets harder but I am thinking Jaybro because he probably has the best balanced attack, clear he focused more than others on this side of things.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

eugenes team is probably the best batting line up out of the 4 - except I would not have picked Vusi - but Jaybros is better well rounded. Whilst he may not have the star power of Andy and Fletch, he makes up for it by it by being a team that is not reliant on just one aspect of the game and has a strong bowling unit too.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think my team had the best bowling lineup. Streak and Jarvis are like the two best test pacemen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:19 am
I think my team had the best bowling lineup. Streak and Jarvis are like the two best test pacemen.
It’s an ODI side mate not a test team
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 am
Eugene's team wins every day of the week, how you other guys managed to be so far behind him I have no idea.

A better pol for me is who then faces Eugene in the grand final. Gets harder but I am thinking Jaybro because he probably has the best balanced attack, clear he focused more than others on this side of things.
What’s wrong with my batting? Apart from Wishart it’s a good batting lineup and quite long.

I think my openers are the best combo both average over 30, I’ve got BT, Raza, Slug, KC and even Friend could bat pretty well. I was watching highlights of a game v South Africa in England where he smashed them all over the park for 70 or 80 odd; looked like a proper batsman.

The biggest issue in my side is the lack of a spearhead seamer from recent times; KC was just as good as any Zimbabwe seamer (apparently) but I doubt many here including me saw him actually bowl.

Apart from Andy & Murray; Eugene’s batting isn’t that special at all

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:27 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 am

What’s wrong with my batting? Apart from Wishart it’s a good batting lineup and quite long.

I think my openers are the best combo both average over 30, I’ve got BT, Raza, Slug, KC and even Friend could bat pretty well. I was watching highlights of a game v South Africa in England where he smashed them all over the park for 70 or 80 odd; looked like a proper batsman.

The biggest issue in my side is the lack of a spearhead seamer from recent times; KC was just as good as any Zimbabwe seamer (apparently) but I doubt many here including me saw him actually bowl.

Apart from Andy & Murray; Eugene’s batting isn’t that special at all
I never said your batting was shit. When I said don't used more on bowling' I was referring to your competitors, it was a compliment.

The batting issue between you and Eugene for me is;
Eugene, in a 4 horse race, managed to get 3/5 best batsmen we have produced in his lineup. I think he one upped everyone with fletch and he benefitted from being early enough to pick flower.
His batters are out most consistent and stable. He has Marillier and Bliggie who can provide the fireworks and he has Vermeuelen who was on his way to being a superstar before the head knock.
He also managed to get ouR best spinner ever, our fastest bowler and some consistent Dibbly dobbers for a well rounded attack by Zim standards.

I can see his batting getting a score of 6/290 there about.

Your batting care has too many inconsistent players. If they all fired they would be extremely hard to stop, but too many of them fire only 1/4 of the time.even Ervine and Taylor are inconsistent by Eugene's standards.

Eugene is also boosted by Flower, he has a massive impact on any team and is a huge pick.

Your team would eventually collapse In wickets.
You have the strongest attack though so if the wicket is bowler friendly you could get some wins.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Can’t say I agree but your points are well thought out; I guess in the end of the day it’s all up to opinion.

Whilst most here remember Andy Blignaut as a big hitting speedster I remember him as a frustrating, inconsistent player who never really fulfilled his talent.

No doubt a match winner on his day; but those days were few and far between.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:59 am
Can’t say I agree but your points are well thought out; I guess in the end of the day it’s all up to opinion.

Whilst most here remember Andy Blignaut as a big hitting speedster I remember him as a frustrating, inconsistent player who never really fulfilled his talent.

No doubt a match winner on his day; but those days were few and far between.
Definitely. But they will come in after a solis foundation, not as confident your guys would lay the same platform.

I can only see two of your guys in the top 6 firing at any point, and then the next game it will be a different two.

For what it's worth I do think your team is a definite second.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

The line-ups throw up a good many interesting subplots and battles within the battle even if they would be much more fascinating in a Test Match scenario:

Paul Strang vs BT & Williams or Andy Flower vs. Cremer (ouch!)

Streak & Brandes/Rawson vs Flower/Goodwin -- to close to call a winner?

Curran vs Blignaut vs Chigs

The perennial opening conundrum vs the perennial death-bowling conundrum.