Draft 1 Poll

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Vote for the best XI to compete in an ODI vs Australia at HSC

Poll ended at Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:22 am

eugene XI
54%
CrimsonAvenger XI
8%
jaybro XI
38%
Kriterion_BD XI
No votes

Total votes: 13

Kriterion_BD

Re: Draft 1 Poll

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 am
So, I think we can declare a comfortable 6 wicket victory for Team Eugene?
Surely 7-5 in the poll is more like a 3 wicket victory with 10 balls to spare rather than a 6 wicket trot in the park?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Well done Eugene on your win; a great side no doubt

I felt CA was unlucky to poll so poorly; but his dodgy top order and the era of his strike bowlers probably hurt him in the end.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 am
Well done Eugene on your win; a great side no doubt

I felt CA was unlucky to poll so poorly; but his dodgy top order and the era of his strike bowlers probably hurt him in the end.
I will celebrate accordingly.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I hope no one minds me playing a little simulation tournament with this draft as well :)

The poll is used for seeding purposes:

1) eugene
4) Kriterion

2) jaybro
3) CrimsonAvenger

Let's see how our Zimbabwean heros stack up against each other.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Calypso collapso at ZCF Sports Club. CrimsonAvenger edges out jaybro for a place in the final

CrimsonAvenger 203 all out (49.2 overs) beats jaybro 195 all out (38.4 overs) by eight runs

As one would expect, the most notable difference between this first all-Zimbabwean simulation encounter and the previous all-star games was the abundance of all-rounders on both sides. CrimsonAvenger called on eight different bowlers (doing without the dubious services of Elton Chigumbura) while jaybro was left with seven bowlers to choose from (and in his case the likes of Johnson and Sean Ervine weren’t even drawn to bowl). While the bowling was great at times, and jaybro’s unit would have held its own against much of the bowling we saw in the Draw Two playoffs, the batting left a lot to be desired, only two batsmen registering fifties.

Winning the toss and batting first, CA’s contrasting pair of openers came out of the blocks in typical fashion. Solomon Mire swung and missed his way to 40 off 47 balls while Grant Flower dug in at the other end (19 off 48). Travis Friend (3/39) and Kevin Curran (2/51) finally broke the stand, and then young Graeme Cremer (4/39) caused all sorts of problems for CA’s batsmen, well supported in the spin department by Barney Rodgers (2/55), Traicos (1/25 off 5) and Raza (0/20 off 5). Henry Olonga who was going at more than eight runs per over in the nets wasn’t called on to bowl as jaybro conceded 229/12, i.e. 194 runs. This meant that if CA wanted to get a good score his batsmen had to do the job themselves, but despite some starts the innings never really took off. Houghton fell for just five, Sean Williams played one shot too many in his pretty 28 off 29 balls, Wes made 35, and with Chigs (16 off 15) and Choppa (10 off 9) also flattering to deceive it was left to Ryan Burl (53 off 79) to extend the innings to almost the full fifty overs. Brandes, Rawson and Price only added five more runs, the innings closed on 211 and CrimsonAvenger had a total of 203 to defend.

No one yet knows what a good score is in this new all-Zim format, but the odds seemed heavily stacked in jaybro’s favour when CA’s bowling figures came out of the mixer. His three main bowlers Rawson (3/15 off 7), Brandes (1/24 off 6) and Razor Price (0/34 off 10) all did an excellent job, but the opening bowlers were unable to fulfill their quota*, and everyone else proved slightly expensive: Williams (0/66 off 10), Wes (1/48 off 8), Solz (0/19 off 2), Grant (1/16 off 3), Burl (0/27 off 4). A bowling effort of 249/6 isn’t too shabby under normal circumstances, but it reduced the batting target to a paltry 158 runs. Neil Johnson’s (2) early dismissal lifted CA’s spirits, but Barney Rogers looked the goods even when Brendan Taylor (25 off 29) and Craig Wishart (11 off 12) couldn’t build on their starts. Raza joined Rogers and pushed the score past 100 and even closer to the target. But then disaster struck, Rogers (66 off 85) was run out and jaybro’s lower middle order started a procession: Ervine (0), Curran (4), and Friend (4) came and went, and then Raza, left with the tailenders, managed to run himself out as well for 25 off 54 balls. Traicos and Olonga added another six runs but a batting score of 141 was not enough to take jaybro into the final.

MOM
Ryan Burl -- it was the batting wot won it for CA, and therefore Burl takes the honors despite Rawson's brilliant spell

* Rawson’s figures of 2/11 off 5.1 adjusted to 7 overs to make up the 50 overs required

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Vindicated.

Jaybro suffering one of those typical Zimbabwe collapses.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I think the luck of the random number generator plays an even bigger part here. Neil Johnson and Sean Ervine both drew matches where Zim were bowled out cheaply by England and Australia respectively, Cremer on the other hand made hay against Kenya.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Fletcher and co. romp to victory

eugene 249 all out (44.4 overs) beats Kriterion_BD 192 all out (37.2 overs) by 57 runs

Duncan Fletcher’s all-round brilliance proved too much for a Kriterion_BD team that was only ever in the game for the first five overs of the match. Fletcher’s 69, together with Tatenda Taibu’s quickfire 53 off 39 balls rescued eugene from a disastrous start, and his four wickets for 38 runs later denied Kriterion any hope of a comeback.

Batting first eugene’s openers exhibited exactly the sort of vulnerability some forum pundits had played up in the run-up to the competition. After five balls the two Vs, Vusi and Vermeulen, were back in the pavilion with no runs on the board. Andy Flower (2) followed in the next over, and when Murray Goodwin holed out for just 17, trouble loomed large for team eugene. However, that was as good as it got for Kriterion as Fletcher, first with Taibu and later with “the” Marillier (46), rebuilt the innings. Andy Blignaut, making yet another comeback, could only add three runs to the total, but Paul Strang (17*) took the score to 220 with the help of Rainsford (5) and Chatara (6). Kriterion’s bowlers struggled throughout for rhythm and penetration. Jarvis and Shingi had identical figures of 1/65, Heath Streak (0/68) and Chisoro (0/39) went wicketless, Guy Whittal the pick of the bowlers with 1/31. A bowling total of 268/3, i.e. 278 runs conceded, improved eugene’s innings total to a challenging 249.

In reply, Kriterion’s top order made an even worse start, at one stage slumping to 28/6. PJ (3) was the first to go, Hami (14) and AC (17) only briefly showed glimpses of the potential that this partnership holds for the future of their respective self-interests, while Craig Ervine (0) and Guy Whittall (7) only left a fleeting impression on the small crowd. It was left to the contrasting duo of Streak (45) and Ryan Murray (47) to take their side to triple figures, but the target was way beyond them. The tail didn’t wag -– Shingi out for a golden duck, Chisoro for five and Jarvis for one -– and the innings ended on 143. Eugene’s pace bowlers hadn’t set the world alight either, Chatara, Rainsford and Blignaut leaking 177 runs for no wickets, but Paul Strang with a miserly spell of 1/26 and Duncan Fletcher made sure the runs conceded (241/5) were kept under control.

MOM
Duncan Fletcher

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 am
Vindicated.

Jaybro suffering one of those typical Zimbabwe collapses.
I must have been on drugs with my bowling changes

Rogers bowling 10

Ervine, Johnson & Olonga not bowling at all lol

Ironically the key to my side was the long batting lineup with many bowling options, but in the end I probably had too many bowling options and my long batting all failed

Well done CA
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Duncan Fletcher was a winning pick!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes