Idea for draft 3 :)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Idea for draft 3 :)

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Given the discussion we are having on Hick and Muyeye and countless other laments we have had over here about "what could have been"s, could we have a 3 way draft of those who were eligible for Zimbabwe but never played a test / ODI / T20I for them, post independence?

This would also involve going to great lengths of research to make sure the guy is qualified to represent Zim, in addition to building a strong XI...

Not sure if we have enough guys to fill in 33 slots, but it certainly looks like it...

foreignfield

Re: Idea for draft 3 :)

Post by foreignfield »

We could expand it by adding players from before independence. They never had the chance to represent their country because it didn't exist as such.

This would include guys who played for Rhodesia throughout and went on to represented SA and players who moved to Rhodesia from SA and played there for a substantial time (qualification period is open for debate: 3 seasons, five seasons?).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am
We could expand it by adding players from before independence. They never had the chance to represent their country because it didn't exist as such.

This would include guys who played for Rhodesia throughout and went on to represented SA and players who moved to Rhodesia from SA and played there for a substantial time (qualification period is open for debate: 3 seasons, five seasons?).
Well, that would be a whole lot more effort! We'll bring guys like Howard Gardiner, Theo Passaportis and what not! :)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:55 am
Given the discussion we are having on Hick and Muyeye and countless other laments we have had over here about "what could have been"s, could we have a 3 way draft of those who were eligible for Zimbabwe but never played a test / ODI / T20I for them, post independence?

This would also involve going to great lengths of research to make sure the guy is qualified to represent Zim, in addition to building a strong XI...

Not sure if we have enough guys to fill in 33 slots, but it certainly looks like it...
Good idea, I'm in for this one when draft 2 is finished.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am

Well, that would be a whole lot more effort! We'll bring guys like Howard Gardiner, Theo Passaportis and what not! :)
Yes, maybe too much of a special interest theme.

But for the heck of it and because I haven't named an XI for ages, here's my fantasy side of retired cricketers who never represented Zimbabwe in an offcial Test/ODI.

Ray Gripper
Tony Pithey
Graeme Hick
Brian Davison
Colin Bland
Mike Procter (c)
Percy Mansell
Howard Gardiner (wk)
Paddy Clift
Joe Patridge
Goofy Lawrence

12th man (depending on the wicket):
Jackie du Preez

That's roughly 100,000 FC runs from no. 3 to 6; the greatest fielder before the modern era; one of the all-time allround greats of the game (although Procter really is a fantasy selection); several thousand FC wickets; fiery pace and the tallest fast bowler pre Blessing Muzarabani.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Wow, that line up looks pretty special!

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Ideally, if this draft happens, it is for the likes of foreignfield, cricket_22001 and Jemisi, and brmtaylor.com admin has already signed up. I can just watch it as someone who floated the idea. But with that XI posted, are we still going ahead?

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 pm
But with that XI posted, are we still going ahead?
With the exception of Hick the players in my XI are all pre-independence, which leaves you with enough material for the initial concept of the draft.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Hmm I thought we could as well expand to all those old generation folks on your proposal, in which case, yourself, cricket_22001 etc, would have been well equipped to fight it out.

So, sticking to post-independence first class / List A appearances (or higher) within or outside Zimbabwe without ever being capped for Zim in any format - should we go for a 3 way or 4 way battle?

For example, a Kevin Kasuza who would have qualified a few months ago is no longer valid as he played those tests. Also, no matter how exciting he is, Tawanda Muyeye doesn't qualify too, as he is yet to play List A / FC. Hick certainly does qualify, and so does Trevor Penney.

I'd keep any statistical gymnastics out of it. I'm not sure of a vote at the end either, we can just enjoy the process of digging people out of obscurity. May be we can indeed have a poll as the end if the admin thinks it is useful.

Any other suggestions?

So brmtaylor.com admin is signed up. Are you too foreignfield? I'm fine to just watch or to participate if no one else comes forward.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:25 pm
So brmtaylor.com admin is signed up. Are you too foreignfield? I'm fine to just watch or to participate if no one else comes forward.
I'm not terribly keen, tbh.