[Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Post by eugene »

A predictable procession through the Qualifier and Quarterfinals for Team Eugene. Let's see if foreignfield can stop the juggernaut of Clint McKay and co!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:55 am
@Kriterion:

Only now that I had a look at my side's scorecard do I realise that the random innings you use are not exclusively from the 2010s as you had planned initially:
Only innings from Jan 1, 2010 onwards will count.
Is it now one from a player's whole career and one from the 2010s? Or both regardless of the 2010 starting point? Or career innings only for those who didn't play enough in the 2010s?

Just curious to understand your methology.

And it obviously helps with my old masters :)
To make it easy, only 1 innings needs to be from 2010 onwards. The other one is from any time. They could both be 2010+ especially with newer players like Babar Azam
That's crazy! People would have picked their sides differently if this was going to be the criteria. Having said that, I hope you stick to that. Gives foreignfield a chance against eugene.

But can't believe how that side by Grant could lose though...

eugene

Post by eugene »

Yeah, that does seem like quite a big change.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 am

That's crazy! People would have picked their sides differently if this was going to be the criteria. Having said that, I hope you stick to that. Gives foreignfield a chance against eugene.

But can't believe how that side by Grant could lose though...
Initially there was no simulation. That only came about because Jaybro made the valid point that picking on pure stats is somewhat meaningless. Eugene has proved that true. His was the #7/8 side on stats, but he's made the top 4.

Initiallly, only 1 innings was to be used for the simulation, but I think eugene suggested to taking any random innings.

I had also initially mulled taking only the innings from the position in which that player was selected, but not only would that be painstaking on my part, but also ruin the fun of picking an all-star XI.

At any rate, this entire thing is all experimental. We are seeing what sticks right now.

If people agree, we could put some money down for Draft 4's Test XI simulation. In addition, once int'l cricket starts again, we can run a proper fantasy league, with the winner taking ~50% of the pot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

That was a true nail-biter, a spectacular tie which had me double-checking my calculations.

grant (251 all out in 50 overs) ties with eugene (251-7 in 50 overs)

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

For a time I had eugene one run ahead but then went back to double check the rounding up and down of all the numbers and found the scorers had counted one ball too many against Kohli's name which James Faulkner then duly hit for two ... if that makes sense to anyone :lol:

This match tested my simulation to the limits; I was close to declaring it a no result. Amazingly, or not so amazing given that we use an average of two innings, batting and bowling again cancelled each other out and again left both sides with totals in the 250s.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

eugene wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 am
A predictable procession through the Qualifier and Quarterfinals for Team Eugene. Let's see if foreignfield can stop the juggernaut of Clint McKay and co!
Let's see how Guptill and KW can handle Shane Bond.

eugene

Post by eugene »

These simulations show that the best ODIs are those where 250 is a competitive score, just look at the 2019 CWC Final, one of the greatest games ever played. Compare that to so many games in the 2015 CWC where the team batting first would rack up 350 or so and the game was already over.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 pm
These simulations show that the best ODIs are those where 250 is a competitive score, just look at the 2019 CWC Final, one of the greatest games ever played. Compare that to so many games in the 2015 CWC where the team batting first would rack up 350 or so and the game was already over.
You don't need simulations to tell you that watching 350 scores is boring. My friend and I were at the Oval in June when New Zealand restricted Bangladesh to 245, not because Bangladesh batted poorly, but because NZ fielded superbly. Bangladesh would have scored 270+ but the Kiwis cut at least 7-8 boundaries to dot balls just by diving and stopping the ball in the circle. A few other boundaries were cut to 2s with great outfielding on the boundary. It was unbelievable even for a guy who already knows NZ are the best fielding side in the world. NZ were cruising to the target, but a batting collapse meant that they still needed 20 odd with just 2 wickets and their tailenders at the crease. It ended up being a thrilling match even though our side lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene

Post by eugene »

Although that South Africa v Australia ODI in 2005 where South Africa chased down 434 was pretty thrilling. That game at the time was of course an abberation and it seemed so entirely unbelievable that a team could chase down such a score. Even now chasing down that kind of score is pretty much impossible.