Zim 5 to Watch: Season 2010-11

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zim 5 to Watch: Season 2010-11

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Zimfanatic69 wrote: Ervine really needs to prove he is more than just a flash in the pan and can be a consistent performer. He has started the season poorly although he has done okay over the last few months. Ervine has the potential to be as good a player as his brother (let's hope he does not do the same Judas turn if he does achieve such heights). I just hope he realises that potential. Too many people here think he has already.
Word.

PEOPLE HERE FORGET THAT PRIOR TO HIS DEBUT Craig Ervine never really set the world on fire.

Alot of peeps six months ago felt that he was only making his debut to lure big brother Sean back to the country.

Dont get me wrong, the guys a talent. But in ZCF style people are hyping him up to be the focus of the next installment in the Bible.

Hes still a work in progress. Not yet cooked.

Also for those thinking that Panyangara is goig to be setting the world on fire i believe you will be severely disappointed. I dont think he will even make the national team. Hes been out too long.....and tbh was never the real thing anyway. Just capable of doing some good things.

Sorry for the negativity.

Great points. It is nice to have some balance to the high levels of expectation which may be dashed.

Welcome back BTW.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Also for those thinking that Panyangara is goig to be setting the world on fire i believe you will be severely disappointed. I dont think he will even make the national team. Hes been out too long.....and tbh was never the real thing anyway.Sorry for the negativity.
What I agree with is the fact that cos he has been out for so long may not be able to make the cut. But again he wasnt sitting around. I just wanted to see what he has to offer because he had a lot of potential as a fast bowler for sur and word from Mutare is saying that on a good deck he can hit over 140.And to say he was never the real thing is a bit rich.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

It's fair comments from ZIMDOGGY in regards to Panyangara. He has been out of cricket for a long time, and he will be a bit rusty, but give him a season of first class cricket and i think he'll be the bowler he was in 2004. Howver I don't agree with what you said about him not being the real deal. He had pace, you can't deny that, and he had some swing to match. How old was he back then ?? 19 ?? 20 ?? He's much older now and with some hard work I reckon he could get into Zimbabwes World Cup squad, providing he stays comitted to Zimbabwean Cricket

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

sloandog wrote:It's fair comments from ZIMDOGGY in regards to Panyangara. He has been out of cricket for a long time, and he will be a bit rusty, but give him a season of first class cricket and i think he'll be the bowler he was in 2004. Howver I don't agree with what you said about him not being the real deal. He had pace, you can't deny that, and he had some swing to match. How old was he back then ?? 19 ?? 20 ?? He's much older now and with some hard work I reckon he could get into Zimbabwes World Cup squad, providing he stays comitted to Zimbabwean Cricket

Panyangara has not been out of cricket, he has been playing club cricket in the UK and elsehwere.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
sloandog wrote:It's fair comments from ZIMDOGGY in regards to Panyangara. He has been out of cricket for a long time, and he will be a bit rusty, but give him a season of first class cricket and i think he'll be the bowler he was in 2004. Howver I don't agree with what you said about him not being the real deal. He had pace, you can't deny that, and he had some swing to match. How old was he back then ?? 19 ?? 20 ?? He's much older now and with some hard work I reckon he could get into Zimbabwes World Cup squad, providing he stays comitted to Zimbabwean Cricket

Panyangara has not been out of cricket, he has been playing club cricket in the UK and elsehwere.

Indeed, and one can argue that the standard of some of the top club leagues in England are not far off our first class cricket, perhaps even better in some cases

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

Looks like everyone missing out on S Marrillier, but as a rocks fan, i think he is a very good prospect as an opening batsman, Panyangara its too early for him, otherwise he will never get back to where he was in 2004.

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

Xlife wrote:
Zimfanatic69 wrote:

Indeed, and one can argue that the standard of some of the top club leagues in England are not far off our first class cricket, perhaps even better in some cases
im just excited that our fast bowling stocks have increased..a year and a half ago we had three 80mph bowlers but with e emergence and return of a few guys the pressure has increased on everyone and you can tell by how most of our bowlers can now bowl 140kph..the bowler to watch this season is donald tiripano.. he is the quickest of the mountaineers crop of bowlers, yes the quickest and he recently did well in the logan cup..of course then there is chitara, masakadza, panyangara to look out for also..

Robin

Post by Robin »

bigdoggpitbull wrote:im just excited that our fast bowling stocks have increased..a year and a half ago we had three 80mph bowlers but with e emergence and return of a few guys the pressure has increased on everyone and you can tell by how most of our bowlers can now bowl 140kph..the bowler to watch this season is donald tiripano.. he is the quickest of the mountaineers crop of bowlers, yes the quickest and he recently did well in the logan cup..of course then there is chitara, masakadza, panyangara to look out for also..
Cricinfo have Tiripano as Right arm medium pace.

Panyangara, Masakadza and Chatara as Right arm fast-medium

Musoso and Mujaji are listed as Right arm Fast

From what you are saying this is incorrect but how do these 6 compare?

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

Robin wrote:
bigdoggpitbull wrote:im just excited that our fast bowling stocks have increased..a year and a half ago we had three 80mph bowlers but with e emergence and return of a few guys the pressure has increased on everyone and you can tell by how most of our bowlers can now bowl 140kph..the bowler to watch this season is donald tiripano.. he is the quickest of the mountaineers crop of bowlers, yes the quickest and he recently did well in the logan cup..of course then there is chitara, masakadza, panyangara to look out for also..
Cricinfo have Tiripano as Right arm medium pace.

Panyangara, Masakadza and Chatara as Right arm fast-medium

Musoso and Mujaji are listed as Right arm Fast

From what you are saying this is incorrect but how do these 6 compare?
this is the same website that lists rainsford as fast-medium even though he struggles to touch 130..this is the same website that puts rainsford, siddle, bollinger and hilfenhaus(the latter 3 can hit 150 easily) in the same pace bracket. from what i have seen aliseni, jarvis, nicholson, chimhamiwa, tiripano, muzarabani, chitara,ncube, mpofu/masakadza are the quickest we have and in that order..not the musosos or the mujajis as cricinfo states..

Robin

Post by Robin »

bigdoggpitbull wrote:this is the same website that lists rainsford as fast-medium even though he struggles to touch 130..this is the same website that puts rainsford, siddle, bollinger and hilfenhaus(the latter 3 can hit 150 easily) in the same pace bracket. from what i have seen aliseni, jarvis, nicholson, chimhamiwa, tiripano, muzarabani, chitara,ncube, mpofu/masakadza are the quickest we have and in that order..not the musosos or the mujajis as cricinfo states..
Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who has seen this boys bowl. Height is important as well for a fast bowler; how do these boys compare in stature?