Nick Welch Signs for Leicestershire

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Nick Welch Signs for Leicestershire

Post by zimfan1 »

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/new ... eason.html

Think this deal has been on the cards for a while. Must have got his UK passport.

sloandog

Re: Nick Welch Signs for Leicestershire

Post by sloandog »

Good for him. Nice to see a few Zimbabweans now in county cricket again. Back in the day there was plenty to watch on TV (Flower brother at Essex, Ervine at Hampshire, Price at Worcestershire, Streak at Warwickshire, Goodwin at Sussex).
Looking forward to seeing Byrom, Welch, Muzarabani and hopefully a few others doing well

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Good for him. Nice to see a few Zimbabweans now in county cricket again. Back in the day there was plenty to watch on TV (Flower brother at Essex, Ervine at Hampshire, Price at Worcestershire, Streak at Warwickshire, Goodwin at Sussex).
Looking forward to seeing Byrom, Welch, Muzarabani and hopefully a few others doing well
Is county televised ?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Btw,
This kid was pitching up to mashonaland at 15 years of age.

A semi competent cricket board would have done everything in their pweee to make sure this kid stayed in the system.
In a county that has only about 200 cricketers, why do we let genuine prodigies get away?
I hope there is at least a long game plan for him to gain professional experience and then offer a ready made baller package for him at age 25 or something.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I have a contact within ZC (or previously within ZC) and around 2018 he spoke to Welch, said he was aiming for a county contract and then to take it from there. Like the DOGG said he was going to ideally come back to Zim with some bargaining power. Than conversation took place during the CWCQ in 2018 so obviously a lot has happened since then.

Only time will tell though. Byrom Welch and Muyeye would walk into our side

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I guess it makes sense to come back after some county experience with the bargaining power. The contracts they gave BT and Jarvis probably motivated everybody to do the same. Not just about the money but the length of the contracts. Coming back to a guaranteed 15-20k a month for 4 years makes it lucrative. It will be interesting to see how much money they give Blessing because he didn’t light up county cricket.

Overall it does make sense for Muyeye Welch and Byrom to really try crack the English team. They can always come back at age 25 or 26 to a good contract if it doesn’t work out. Another interesting observation will be what they would give Lake and Murray

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Is Lake even in in the frame?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm
Is Lake even in in the frame?
Sure
B8148286-757F-4263-86A5-84B990FD866F.jpeg
B8148286-757F-4263-86A5-84B990FD866F.jpeg (152.49 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
I'll see myself out

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

:lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

With ZC bound to milk COVID and the lack of cricket, you would have to think that the chances of him playing for Zim are pretty slim.

Hammy has mentioned how players have to be committed to domestic Zim cricket With our current structure we can't really expect players to develop in our domestic set up and I highly doubt any guy would willingly give up county cricket to play 10 domestic games a year for $500.

I know guys are saying you throw the money at a guy like Nick like they did with BT and KJ, but that's the wrong approach. I would be approaching these guys and explaining that they are well and truly part of the set up. ZC will keep in regular contact over their progress and get reports from the coaches they are playing for and get them involved in any National camps in the off season to be ready for a call up when we play international matches. Our domestic system is clearly not set up to develop our players, so make use of the systems in the other countries where they are, yet just change our approach to our talent pool and selection.