National Premier League 2020 ( NPL )

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: National Premier League 2020 ( NPL )

Post by TapsC2 »

I would think that the likes of Mudzinganyama will get picked up by a franchise like the Southern Rocks. The academy side was a bit too weak for me. They were getting hammered whenever BT Jarvis And Mudzinganyama were not there

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:17 am
Nick Welch is on 50* for The Kings, class act as expected whilst no other batsman can get past 30.
I spoke to Nick today and he hopes his international cricketing future will lie with Zimbabwe, although he has a two-year county contract ahead of him.

L.S

Post by L.S »

A strong performance today from the Kings !

Watching Zhuwao bat when he’s on it is quite a remarkable thing, I must say. He’s special at times.

Was good to see Welch back and get among the runs. Hopefully he continues to work hard and play for us one day soon.

Evans bowled well again, and that’s encouraging ! He is built a bit like Dale Steyl. Quite slender but looks very smooth.

Mambo bowled better today and looked quite confident with ball in hand. He’s now a father, too as of the other day.

Diplock pulled out because of his injury, as he just quite obviously hasn’t had enough time to prepare following the broken ankle.

The boys are at sports club v Gladiators on Wednesday.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

jward wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Nick Welch is on 50* for The Kings, class act as expected whilst no other batsman can get past 30.
I spoke to Nick today and he hopes his international cricketing future will lie with Zimbabwe, although he has a two-year county contract ahead of him.
Thanks John, that would be great.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

jward wrote:

Well that's the best news since slice bread
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

jward wrote:
zimfan1 wrote:
This is great news. Just out of curiosity how does his situation work in terms of eligibility? I’m assuming he is a dual citizen. So technically can’t he play international and county cricket at the same time as he legally qualifies for both?

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:13 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Welch apparently wants to play some FC cricket in Zimbabwe this year, I wonder if he will get a gig? The franchise selectors are a very strange bunch, even more so than the national selectors in my book.

Season is going to start on the 17th and the Southern Rocks are going to make a return as the 5th franchise. Poor decision in my view, would be much better to have another Harare franchise, the Rocks will not be able to attract enough players of quality to pose a challenge. Campbell's academy given the elbow which means that Brent is not coaching in FC cricket which is a shocker.

It would be a real shame if the better players from the Rangers such as Mudzinganyama, Imbayago, Campbell and Macheka did not get game time, as well as Evans.
Is the alistair campbell academy withdrawn from the franchise tournament? Any reasons?? :o

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:05 am
jward wrote:
zimfan1 wrote:
This is great news. Just out of curiosity how does his situation work in terms of eligibility? I’m assuming he is a dual citizen. So technically can’t he play international and county cricket at the same time as he legally qualifies for both?
He only became a UK citizen a few months ago. He only has Zimbabwe Citizenship until then. He satisfied for the long term residency requirements for citizenship and as a result of the citizenship, he was awarded the two year contract only now as a direct result.
The English qualification system has flipped between 4 and 7 years recently but I think it's back to 4 because they wanted to fast track Archer. If so Nick should be eligible very soon, it will naturally occur before he's anywhere near being picked to play for England if he has a blinder.
IF he plays for England, and that's a big If, he would need to requalify for Zimbabwe on a 4 year wait.
Probably the worst thing that can happen for Nick is he gets picked for a crummy single T20 and isn't picked again.
Come to think about it, we could start looking at Gary Ballance again now!

Remember in the past we have gotten used to white players having dual citizenships, but that isn't really the case anymore with the players under 35.
The white community has been in Zimbabwe too long so their ancestral Citizenship links are too far back. For the UK you need a parent born in the UK or a citizen and a grandparent for Ireland.
That's why the last one we saw was Craig, who has an Irish citizenship. Although I recall a few days ago there's another youngster that has a link.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes Ballance last played in July 2017. He is eligible from mid next year. He will be 31. Could be a good fit if he wants a nice comfy African retirement. 4 year BT kinda deal

The players are there. The money should be there. It’s all about the leadership making the right moves. That’s the difficult part.

Somebody like Ben Curran is 25 next year. He could be tempted by the right people.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Agreed,
There is enough cattle for some decent short term success, and it is our best bet for now until we can figure out a way to start producing kids again.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*