Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I saw in another thread someone asking for which players to watch in the NPL and some names popping up, but since that discussion got overshadowed by other match specific discussions, thought of starting a thread for it separately.

Here are the 10 people I'd be watching closely in this NPL and beyond (not necessarily as guys close to national selection or anything, but for random reasons I'd be quoting):

1. Tadiwanashe Marumani - scored some explosive runs in the U19 World Cup against the Scots twice. Went almost unnoticed as Madhevere and Shumba dominated headlines. But a guy to watch with T20 focus

2. Saxon Pettican - That's just a cool name to follow. Looks like a talented kid...

3. Andre Odendaal - I'm not sure if he has come up in any discussions yet. He was a decent pace all-rounder in his U19 batch but was absent in the cricket scene ever since. He bowls left arm pace so could be direct competition to the default post-Vettori leftie in Ngarava. Also has some lusty blows in his armory by the looks of it.

4. Tinashe Muchawaya - I just saw a picture of him and what a physique! IF he can bend his back, he could be a real find for us in the fast bowling department. Hoping to follow his fortunes more over the season and hope he gets bigger opportunities too.

5 & 6. Gratitude Jaya, Gabriel Jaya - What names! "Jaya" in most Indian languages (due to Sanskrit) means Victory. Do I need any other reasons?

7. Luke Oldknow - Got to know that he has been added to one of the squads? Looked like a pretty good batting potential but did not do justice to his reputation in the U19 World Cup.

8. Amal Varma - A very Indiam name. One out of a few present, but chose him as I have never heard of him before as against Aarsh Jha, Tufail Zaheer, etc.

9. Dion Myers - Obviously one of our biggest hopes.

10. Tafadzwa Tsiga - Possibly our best hope in Ryan Murray's absence to step up to national keeping duties by overshadowing Chakabva and Mutumbami?

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Post by sloandog »

Are all these playing ?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:10 pm
Are all these playing ?
I took them from the official squad listings. Quite a few of them have played too. Tinashe Muchawaya had a great outing yesterday, for example.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I know I keep banging on about him but Brad Evans could develop into an excellent fast bowler. He’s a big bloke and would probably be bowling around 82-83mph, so not rapid but certainly good enough for Zim standards

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:54 pm
I know I keep banging on about him but Brad Evans could develop into an excellent fast bowler. He’s a big bloke and would probably be bowling around 82-83mph, so not rapid but certainly good enough for Zim standards
Physical size doesn't correlate to bowling speed.
Otherwise I'd be 150 km an hr being 6'5
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Good list CA

Disappointing we haven’t seen Myers it Marumani yet in the NPL, the quality looks really bare now, I reckon those two would dominate this tournament
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Will have a better idea by the end of the club games but for me Macheka and Muchawaya are the fast bowlers I want to see. I also think this might be the season Chirimuuta gets his chance with the bat. He is your typical Zimbabwean batsman who can average in the lower 30s if given the chance. We need some squad depth.

I also got a feeling Musakanda is going to force his way back into the team. If Myers takes a gap year he will easily crack the national squad. He is a far better batsman that both Wes and Shumba. It’s unfortunate that he will probably miss most club games because of exams but that kid will be in our middle order in 6 months if he sticks around.

Madhevere, Shumba and Myers are going to be direct replacements for Raza, Williams and Elton. I don’t know how ZC got so lucky with that generation. The only bit of bad luck they had is that their BT and Hami replacements (Muyeye and Byrom) have chosen the UK option.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I know it's slightly off topic, but rather than create a new thread, whats the go with the coaches of these sides? Are there any in there that are up and comers or if it just the same guys in the setup?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 am
I know it's slightly off topic, but rather than create a new thread, whats the go with the coaches of these sides? Are there any in there that are up and comers or if it just the same guys in the setup?
possible there isnt one. when i play club cricket i dont have a coach. just stuff is mailed to captains
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:49 pm
sloandog wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:54 pm
Physical size doesn't correlate to bowling speed.
Otherwise I'd be 150 km an hr being 6'5
No but it certainly helps as a natural attribute champ. Faced him in a Uni game when I was a 4th year and he was a freshman and he was sharp then, and got a lot of nip off the pitch.
The reports suggest he’s early 80’s and could easily get faster.