Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:37 pm
looks steynish
Yep, you're right, reminds one a bit of Dale.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

This is all presuming he wants to play FC.
He’s just received a 1st Class Degree in Sport & Exercise Science from an excellent University in the U.K, so he has plenty to fall back on if he did want to give Zimbabwe a crack.
Still wish I’d have seen Ryan Murray in a side. I know he’s still at University but seriously the sooner this boy gets back and dons the gloves the better. He’ll give so much more stability to the side, opposed to Chakabva or Mutumbami who the selectors tend to keep alternating between. I think the days of Taylor keeping wicket are very much a distant and fond memory

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 am
This is all presuming he wants to play FC.
He’s just received a 1st Class Degree in Sport & Exercise Science from an excellent University in the U.K, so he has plenty to fall back on if he did want to give Zimbabwe a crack.
Still wish I’d have seen Ryan Murray in a side. I know he’s still at University but seriously the sooner this boy gets back and dons the gloves the better. He’ll give so much more stability to the side, opposed to Chakabva or Mutumbami who the selectors tend to keep alternating between. I think the days of Taylor keeping wicket are very much a distant and fond memory
From what I understand Murray has given up on Zimbabwe, was not prepared to play domestic cricket and expected to just walk into the squad against Pakistan and has now gone off in a bit of a huff. Fingers crossed this changes.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Well that’s a bit wet..

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm

From what I understand Murray has given up on Zimbabwe, was not prepared to play domestic cricket and expected to just walk into the squad against Pakistan and has now gone off in a bit of a huff. Fingers crossed this changes.
First the Boks withdraw from the Rugby Championship, now this. Not a good sports news day.

I don't blame Murray. The guy clearly has the goods but ZC board want to carry on like they are some sort of epitome of sport and that they will never work with players, but rather the players should bow to every whim of the board.

It's just not feasible to ask players to give up things like Uni or overseas opportunities. Not everyone can be a minister and board member living on ZANU hand outs.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm

First the Boks withdraw from the Rugby Championship, now this. Not a good sports news day.

I don't blame Murray. The guy clearly has the goods but ZC board want to carry on like they are some sort of epitome of sport and that they will never work with players, but rather the players should bow to every whim of the board.

It's just not feasible to ask players to give up things like Uni or overseas opportunities. Not everyone can be a minister and board member living on ZANU hand outs.
I don’t think anybody should be allowed to walk into a national team unless you are coming from a setup which is far better than ours(e.g the Kolpak players and Mire). Has he played any competitive cricket since COVID? Brad Evans came from Uni and he is now grinding it out. That’s the way to do it.

This is the easiest country to make the national team. If he has exams let him finish and then come back and grind it out too. With BT probably not wanting the gloves anymore Murray will literally walk straight into a central contract. I don’t see what’s so hard about that. The Pakistan tour is not the end of the world. Get your degree then come grind it out in the domestic competition.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Unless he will use British Ancestry or something like that to go to the UK I don’t think he has any other choice in terms of an international cricket career

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'm not against what ZC are trying to implement. If a guy like Murray walks into the side without playing any domestic cricket it sets a dangerous precedent and will send the wrong signals to a lot of domestic players. However, they (ZC) need to be savvy with this bloke, he's a serious talent with the gloves and from I watched in 2018 against Pakistan, he has a lot to offer with the bat. Scored 42 didn't he in one game? Big lad as well and will only get better with more cricket. Just hope he hasn't honestly turned his back on it.
If he has Uni commitments then fair enough, but if he can get back and do what Evans, Odendaal, Musakanda etc are all doing and taking their chances, I think he should.

Nothing surprises me though with Zimbabwe Cricket, I'm still not ruling out a Mark Vermeulan comeback..

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Many of quit and returned. Some more than once!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

When i think about it, this could have been a wonderful opportunity for some of the players of years gone by to have got involved. It's only club cricket after all. Kids like Tuan Harrison for example, or maybe Muyeye now that the english summer is over.
Would have liked to have seen a few more previous Under 19's in there like Odendaal