[ ICC World Cup Odi Super League ] Match 2 : Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan, Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ ICC World Cup Odi Super League ] Match 2 : Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan, Rawalpindi

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:56 pm
Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:41 pm
Fair observations
Here's one I picked up from another page- Ngarava hasn't taken a wicket in 37 overs.

Has no-one wondered how ZC "squashed" their $20 million loan yet? Surely there should be some sort of enquiry.
What are our fast bowling stocks right now?

A-graders: Jarvis, Chatara
B-graders: -
C-graders: Muzarabani, Mpofu
D-graders: Tiripano, Mumba, S Masakadza, Madziva
E-graders: Chibhabha, Tshuma, Ngarava, Nyauchi

Have I forgotten anyone?
A-graders: -
B-graders: -
C-graders: Chatara, Jarvis
D-graders: Muzarabani, Mpofu
E-graders: Do we care?

I do think that Evans has some potential to be a D grader.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Re: [ ICC World Cup Odi Super League ] Match 2 : Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan, Rawalpindi

Post by Googly »

What happened to that U19 bowler that Steve Mangongo sent home from the WC? If I recall he had a bit of gas.

They won't, but they should be having a serious conversation with Matigimu round about now, if he's even still playing.
Our supposedly best quick can't retain a County contract, that doesn't bode well.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

You're way too harsh on Jarvis and Chatara - they both average 20-something with the ball in Tests. No way are they C-grade by any standard.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:26 pm
You're way too harsh on Jarvis and Chatara - they both average 20-something with the ball in Tests. No way are they C-grade by any standard.
Against retarded countries sending in their B teams

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:26 pm
Against retarded countries sending in their B teams
If they olayee a giant top 4 countries their averages will be iver45

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Here's another way of saying it.
Would they make a Sheffield shield side?

If the answer is no. Isn't C grade about right?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Considering Jarvis was very much important for his county side i would suggest that yes he would make a Sheffield Shield side, especially considering the level of bowlers in that tournament this year.

I think the main reason why Zim don't seem to be able to generate players of 140kph is simply down to the wickets and an inability to nurture youngsters who have the potential. Virtually all the wickets in Zim these days are just absolute low slow flatties that only really offer stuff for spinners as we've all seen in the NPL recently. The last genuine quicky outside of Blessing Muzarabani (yes he was able to bowl 140 plus before they changed his action into the mess it is now) was probably Aliseni tbh which says alot.

In order to develop some quick bowlers because there certainly is the potential in the country, Zim would have to take a leaf out of South Africa's book of contracting players in representative cricket from a young age and producing wickets that would help nurture this ability to bowl fast. This long term contracting would help these guys build and consistency strength which is the main problem with Zim's bowlers at the moment.

This is obviously all a crack a shite though since ZC will never invest in a long term programme and simply just choose to flip flop every 3 years instead.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kallum wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm
Considering Jarvis was very much important for his county side i would suggest that yes he would make a Sheffield Shield side, especially considering the level of bowlers in that tournament this year.

I think the main reason why Zim don't seem to be able to generate players of 140kph is simply down to the wickets and an inability to nurture youngsters who have the potential. Virtually all the wickets in Zim these days are just absolute low slow flatties that only really offer stuff for spinners as we've all seen in the NPL recently. The last genuine quicky outside of Blessing Muzarabani (yes he was able to bowl 140 plus before they changed his action into the mess it is now) was probably Aliseni tbh which says alot.

In order to develop some quick bowlers because there certainly is the potential in the country, Zim would have to take a leaf out of South Africa's book of contracting players in representative cricket from a young age and producing wickets that would help nurture this ability to bowl fast. This long term contracting would help these guys build and consistency strength which is the main problem with Zim's bowlers at the moment.

This is obviously all a crack a shite though since ZC will never invest in a long term programme and simply just choose to flip flop every 3 years instead.
I think the answer why they can't find speedy bowlers is far simpler.

Not enough players. There's only a few hundred cricketers in the country all up.
One thing I have seen is you can't really coach speed from what I can tell.

You need player numbers.

We can coach a batsman and most finger spinners are similar. But you need the raw ingredients for pure speed. And there isn't that many out there.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

I think it’s a combination of all these. There are so many quick bowlers in Aus due to the good coaching, management of bowlers and the pitches having bounce, movement or pace. Look at it this way, England produces a lot of medium pace swing bowlers because the conditions allow it (more so than Aus). In Aus, speed is rewarded so that’s what gets selected/fast bowlers persevere. So pitches play a role as do player numbers. Too much bowling can injure a fast bowler. The West Indians seem to also be built for fast bowling.

I played with a fast black youngster in Zim but he never had much coaching so he sprayed it a bit and his friends played basketball and soccer so he lost interest. Maybe there aren’t enough good bowling coaches in zim at the junior levels.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

The team that streak and taibu assembled for wc qualifiers was the best team in years ..shame we couldn't qualify or else we would have been building on that team ..