Where is Mangongo these days?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Where is Mangongo these days?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Was wondering about Stephen Mangongo yesterday watching the ongoing match. A lot of the credit of finding the talent in Madhevere probably goes to him? He fast forwarded him to the U19 CWC squad well in advance that led him to participate in 3 U19 world cups. Also with Shumba. Hope we get to see what he can do at the top level soon (read today).

Surely the guy was out of his depth as the national team coach but he is invaluable in finding the next Madhevere, the next Shumba, etc. But has he patched up with ZC after the last fallout?

totoro

Re: Where is Mangongo these days?

Post by totoro »

I think I read that he is at Streak's academy in Bulawayo. I could be wrong though. :)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I heard he's a truck driver now
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

totoro wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:20 am
I think I read that he is at Streak's academy in Bulawayo. I could be wrong though. :)
That would be interesting. He did take the same stance as Streak and Taibu in that fallout...

Here's his remark earlier this year, around the time Wesley made his debut:
But former Zimbabwe coach Stephen Mangongo reckons the young players are not yet ripe to make the step up to international cricket due to a feeble foundation. “It’s too big a jump from a weak Under-19 level straight to brutal international cricket,” Mangongo told IndependentSport this week.

“We don’t play enough hardcore cricket at age-groups level, neither have the players played a good enough standard at club level to prove themselves. You look at your (Tatenda) Taibus, (Hamilton) Masakadzas. They played real tough club cricket at the age of 15 against the likes of Grant Flower, Eddo Brandes, and got hardened. Nothing of that sort exists now. Therefore, your talented kids these days — the Madheveres, (Milton) Shumbas, (Dion) Myers — at least need to play some List ‘A’ and Zimbabwe ‘A’ games. The danger is if you expose talented youngsters early at the highest level and they fail, they can be traumatised and lose confidence completely. There are many subtle issues you consider before throwing talented youths into the deep end. Look at those Indian kids like (Rishabh) Pant, they have already played IPL as part of blooding them into international cricket.”

While recent Under-19 graduates are being groomed, Zimbabwe, according to Mangongo, needs to bring back several young gifted players who are better equipped for the step-up, but are presently not part of the system.

“Before you know it, there will be hot competition for national team jerseys,” said Mangongo.

“You have guys like Kundai Matigimu, who was training with Titans in South Africa, a former Under-19 fast bowler who hits late 130s per hour easily. To me this bloke should be the opening bowler for Zimbabwe right now. Then you have the likes of Ryan Murray, Jeremy Ives, Liam Roche, Brad Evans, Nick Welch, Tendai Maruma, Tafadzwa Tsiga, Innocent Kaia, just to mention a few Zim boys in South Africa, UK, Australia and New Zealand. You can actually form a team of Zimbabwe from Under-25 boys scattered across the globe.

The question is do they have confidence in ZC that they will create a conducive environment and fair career path for them? Secondly, does ZC have the plan to even try to bring these boys back? Now, you get these boys, and you create tough competition with players already here for places in the national squad. A national team is as good as its competition for places. That’s the way to go. Once there are no quality assurance programmes and career paths for your youths, you’re doomed. You’ve got to invest heavily in your youths.”
Ref: https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2020/0 ... -ex-coach/