Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Post by jward »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:52 am
As much as I agree with some of this Googly, Jarvis's wedding is still poor. Could have had it in winter .some Club cricketers have weddings in winter lol. he is a high paid player.
Then again, you get winter tours, and usually the itineraries for these are announced only a few weeks before the tours begin. I think it's very difficult for a cricketer to make important cast-iron arrangements like weddings months in advance at a time when they know there will be no cricket on. You can't plan anything when you work for ZC!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Maybe I’m naive but I reckon a private phone call from a talented uni kid to hammy they could nut out a deal
Why bother when Hammy has already played his hand and shown that you are worth nothing to him unless you agree to his demands. Again, how much effort are you willing to go through for $300 a month when you could earn more flipping burgers.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm not sure what the cooking staff earn in fast food joints here, but I'm fairly sure its less than $300. It will be a Zim bond payment.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

The minimum wage in Zim is 2500 bondaroos a year. So Zim domestic players get a similar amount but in Us dollars. They may have some costs like kit if not sponsored.

I think zimbo5 was reffering to overseas players working at maccas whilst at uni and earning more than 300 USD a month.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Is 300 for everybody? I remember a few years ago FC captains were earning about 1000 then the currency crashed.

We will need to see the audited statements one day. If you are getting 9 million and apparently have no debt, spending 1.2 million a year to give 100 players about 1000 a month should be possible. It’s probably not possible right now if the allocations are still half but in the future it should be the main priority.

Problem is you will find that maybe the national contracts gobble up over a million a year by themselves. It’s a tough situation where you have to pay your top player 20k to maintain the national team level and the others are on 300. This is why then giving everybody who does well in domestic cricket a shot is important otherwise the smaller guys will never play. ZC has to pay for every level of cricket in the country which is draining

This is why also people like Murray should not be given special treatment and must play locally. It’s a highly sensitive issue but you don’t keep a Chakabva in the system if he isn’t given a fair game against a Murray. It’s a balancing act. If you are good enough your talent will show in 1 day like what Welch did. Not every import is ready for the top. Oldknow is an example of this

The only way you should be given special treatment is if you play a high level of domestic cricket in another country

Googly

Post by Googly »

The last thing we need to see is another set of audited accounts, its the undoctored books that would be of interest :lol:
Ya I'm sure the senior FC players are on better packages, but the bulk of the lads will be getting a pittance. Remember they have backed ZC to look after them to play lots of cricket and earn a living wage. I see disappointment in their future.
I'm not sure the national boys get anywhere near $1m, especially with the two recent retirements.
Again what's of interest is what senior management and staff get. It's a boat load.
Your top players need top dollar. I don't think you can justify management and coaches earning more than your national players and the top FC players. They have a 10-15 year career if they're extremely lucky and most are not well equipped to deal with life after, whereas the rest of the staff seem to be getting life long posts that only death from old age will end. I don't begrudge BT's salary, let's see what a few games without Taylor will bring us :lol:
Whilst he doesn't always deliver you have a realistic expectation that he might. Who else can we say that about?

Googly

Post by Googly »

We really need to see how you can squash a $20m loan with local currency at a tiny fraction of the value and why it wasn't done years before and where those massive interest payments went. Here alone is $10m that's evaporated into the ether.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Taylor earning 20k is not the reason others are earning 300.
If they put a schedule out on time and adhered to it and there was some confidence in their management ability that's the starting point for attacting corporates. When your business community gives our national sport a vote of no confidence it tells a story.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:59 am

This is why also people like Murray should not be given special treatment and must play locally. It’s a highly sensitive issue but you don’t keep a Chakabva in the system if he isn’t given a fair game against a Murray. It’s a balancing act. If you are good enough your talent will show in 1 day like what Welch did. Not every import is ready for the top. Oldknow is an example of this

The only way you should be given special treatment is if you play a high level of domestic cricket in another country
Can you be certain that Murray is not playing a high level of cricket? He showed in the few games he did play for Zim that he is definitely up to the standard but because TM and Hammy want to let pride get in the way, they are willing to play a Mutumbami and let Zim be beaten.

Again, we are not in a position to make demands. The Murray case is so easy, but ZC refuse to do it. It would not be hard for ZC to allow him to study in south but set him up with a training programme and club there where he gets to play regularly and he reports back to the Zim coaches every month or so, or the coaches at the club he is at report back. They can also then state that when Zim has a series that he is picked for, he reports for training camps and have a system set up where he can continue to do his studies whilst in camp. It's not hard, but ZC just don't want to make things work. They just want to let ego rule.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Murray, by all accounts, is in London either doing a Masters in Accounts (is there such a thing?) or his articles or something similar. He'd probably be infinitely more useful being the ZC accountant than the wicket keeper :lol: