Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Post by Googly »

Its part of inclusivity. Most English private schools have up to 10% of their students from all over the globe. Theyre not all scholarship, wealthy families like the idea of a posh English education, but there's a big percentage of them that are on 40%-80% scholarships for various things.
Millfield offer 28 sports! Its crazy. There are also academic scholarships.
In SA Hilton and Michael House have plenty of Zim kids, many on scholarships, St John's Zim in particular have been on the receiving end of this, they've lost many great sportsmen to those two schools. Those boys that do go to SA immediately go up a level and it might be partly to do with better coaching in some instances, but its the higher standard of sport that's played there. The good kids adapt immediately.
The two T20 festivals that are played annually here are a reflection of where our cricket is going. Five six years ago we competed favourably with those sides, nowadays we get minced. Our school sport across the board is in dire straits.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This year lost to covid will reflect big time on our school sport, we will struggle to recover more so than SA and England for example. We were losing momentum anyway, but this lost year is going to have massive repercussions for us.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This Eagles game is going to be over in two and a half days, which includes rain interruptions on not the worst pitch.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

It ain't over. Cometh a crisis, cometh the Don.

But seriously, the Manicas' batting line-up is extremely feeble. Kasuza run out for 1 didn't help but you shouldn't be into your tail with two or three wickets down either. Not a great match for Myers; and why the Don bats at 8 is beyond me.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I don't think Mountaineers have a bad batting line up at all. Munyonga and Chuurmuta are good players, not sure what Chimbambo is doing in the side.
Putting Myers in at 3 on his FC debut is a big ask.

The Don should be coming in at number 7 at least.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya they're hoping for miracles, doesn't usually work like that, Myers needed to come in at 5-7 when batting conditions were a bit easier.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't want to put commentators curse but if The Don and TM can grind out another 40 or more they'll definitely have something to bowl at.
TM looked good in Singapore so why hes so far down the order is also puzzling.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:08 am
I don't want to put commentators curse but if The Don and TM can grind out another 40 or more they'll definitely have something to bowl at.
TM looked good in Singapore so why hes so far down the order is also puzzling.
TM had a bad season last year but he is still only 21. He impressed his club in the UK in 2019. I think he is one of the better young batters on the domestic scene. A budget Wes one could say.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Shumba shouldn’t be batting 6 in my opinion.
Should open next game.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am
The Don should be coming in at number 7 at least.
Don has come a long way in his batting. Probably the most improved black batsman I’ve ever seen in Zim.

However if he wants to cement his test spot for the next few years, he is going to have to get a bit better. A valuable genuine 7/8 will be highly valuable to the test team because of fatigue. The Mitch marsh role.
I don’t think he deserves to make the test team on his bowling and I don’t think he will ever be good enough to make the top 7 batting on pure merit. However, he can get close. I think he could be the 10th best test bat in Zim if he keeps it up, and that’s all he needs to do if he can act as the 4th pacer as well.
But I think to do this, he needs to start batting middle order domestically, or even open.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*