Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Post by Zimco »

As much as I agree with some of this Googly, Jarvis's wedding is still poor. Could have had it in winter .some Club cricketers have weddings in winter lol. he is a high paid player.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

https://www.sundaynews.co.zw/bio-bubble ... mpetition/

Looks like the first batch of games is from 3-20 December. This bio bubble is going to drain funds. By the time you cover PCR tests , Accomodation ,catering etc it would have cost us at least 1 test match

Googly

Post by Googly »

It would be good to see a breakdown of the actual costs.
I maintain it will be their cheapest 3 weeks of franchise yet.
My prediction is players will be told to tighten their belts salary-wise. We will know soon enough.

If they don't pay the players for round one they're going to struggle to herd them into the snot bubble for round 2.

Someone is about to make a killing on the covid tests :lol:
People pay $60 per test and its supposed to be free. There's $60k up for grabs :lol:
$10 a day per player for food, and depending on where they stay it won't be much different for accommodation.
There are people within the organisation that are experts at milking the system.
Transparency and accountability is what we need.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't get those of you saying that the players who choose to stay overseas are at fault.

Those of you in Zim know how shit things are, so obviously players are going to place their bets overseas if they have the opportunity. With ZC there is no clear pathway from the youth in to the national team and further. The domestic league is a shambles and it's always the same friends who get preference over anyone else.

ZC cannot expect players to choose one or the other especially when it is shown how quickly ZC are willing to discard you if you lose a match or say something. ZC is tyrannical and thats why players look overseas or may be hesitant to come back.

ZC are asking youngsters to give up all their opportunities and lives, and offering nothing in return. So you can see why certain guys are like, "nah, i'd rather just study".

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:18 am
I don't get those of you saying that the players who choose to stay overseas are at fault.

Those of you in Zim know how shit things are, so obviously players are going to place their bets overseas if they have the opportunity. With ZC there is no clear pathway from the youth in to the national team and further. The domestic league is a shambles and it's always the same friends who get preference over anyone else.

ZC cannot expect players to choose one or the other especially when it is shown how quickly ZC are willing to discard you if you lose a match or say something. ZC is tyrannical and thats why players look overseas or may be hesitant to come back.

ZC are asking youngsters to give up all their opportunities and lives, and offering nothing in return. So you can see why certain guys are like, "nah, i'd rather just study".
But again, it doesn’t need to be an either or thing.

When you’re at uni, unless you’re stinking Rich you still need to work anyway around 20 hours a week usually.

May as well get paid playing cricket while you study as opposed to working at a hamburger shop.

Everyone still has this mentality here that these two can’t coexist.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 am

When you’re at uni, unless you’re stinking Rich you still need to work anyway around 20 hours a week usually.

May as well get paid playing cricket while you study as opposed to working at a hamburger shop.

I one hundred percent agree. They can coexist.

What I am saying is that ZC are making it an either or thing. TM and Hammy said it last year that if players want to play for Zim, then they need to commit to being based in Zim where they must play their cricket and be all the time.

So when you have such demands, guys are going to think, "rather work at Maccas, at least it will be guaranteed income, and you won't lose your spot to a Maruma"

I don't think ZC are in any position to be making such claims. We do not have a plethora of talent like most of the other countries to be making such demands.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

This 🔼

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 am

I one hundred percent agree. They can coexist.

What I am saying is that ZC are making it an either or thing. TM and Hammy said it last year that if players want to play for Zim, then they need to commit to being based in Zim where they must play their cricket and be all the time.

So when you have such demands, guys are going to think, "rather work at Maccas, at least it will be guaranteed income, and you won't lose your spot to a Maruma"

I don't think ZC are in any position to be making such claims. We do not have a plethora of talent like most of the other countries to be making such demands.
Maybe I’m naive but I reckon a private phone call from a talented uni kid to hammy they could nut out a deal
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I managed to speak to 4 different franchise players today. So predictable- they will be getting $300 a month as a salary. Obviously a few of them will get more, but as I said- the cheapest franchise round ever. :lol:
Covid has been a blessing :lol:
We wait to see the cost of the Bubonic B&B and the sadza and nyama but it will come in under $20 a day. Covid will be the least of their problems, I'm expecting an Ebola outbreak :lol:
It's going to cost less than $50k to get the 4 day stuff out of the way. :lol:
Its definitely raining all week next week so if they keep the covers off they can miss the first round as well.
Assume I'm exaggerating wildly (I'm not), and it's $100k up until Xmas and another $100k after, the season will be done and dusted for $200k :lol:

jward

Post by jward »

eugene wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:27 pm
jward wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 pm
The problem caused by scheduling vacations or weddings during the cricket season is often that these arrangements have to be made in advance, and the players so often have no idea of the dates when the cricket will be played - like right now! We heard that cricket, probably the Logan Cup, is scheduled to start on 3 December. We are still waiting for a fixture list. We apparently have rain scheduled for this week also. In past years dates have been changed at short notice, leaving some players with alternative arrangements they had to make in advance and finding they clash. I think it was Kyle Jarvis's wedding was originally scheduled for a date when it was not expected to clash with cricket - only for the fixture list to be changed when it was too late.
John, why do you think ZC always schedule domestic cricket during the rainy season? Are they hoping to save a bit of money from cancelled games?
Many players have contracts with English clubs, so they have to keep our domestic cricket from clashing with that, so that leaves us October to March, which isn't easy. It would certainly be better to start the Logan Cup in October before the rains (if any!) come, but for some reason ZC always seems to be too short of money then to play before December.