Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Post by Zimco »

The thing is the keeper is an essential position, when BT retires what will we have? Chakabva and Murray should preferably have central contracts. Chakabva for the tests and Murray for the future. He has been playing at stellenbosch which is a fairly good standard. The thing is even if he fails at international level at the moment Zc need to be thinking about winning and that means looking to the future. Look how many chances India give Rishab pant.

I'm pretty sure Murray is at stellenbosch. The thing is ZC have invested in Murray and other players through u13; u14;17; u19 yet they don't play em and ending up losing them to other countries; madness.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Im not actually against som,er domestic players getting a pittance.
I base this on who they are and the level we are talking about.

iF you are a no name depth player looking to make a new for yourself or just depth, why do you deserve more?

In no other test country would you be playing domestically.

Sean Ervine himself said that Logan cup Domestic level was the equivalent of grade 2 or 3 in Perth back in 2004.

im just thinking in my terms if you are grade 2 in Perth, you are grade 3 or even 4 in Sydney where the depth is a lot stronger.

Nowadays the depth is alot weaker so if you are on the edges of domestic you are a 4th or even 5th player by Sydney Grade standard.

If im a 4th grade player getting paid i think thats great on its own as the majority of most wouldnt.

What the players need is for good results to be rewarded. And pathways for talent.

You pretty much knoiw whiuch kids in Zim will be playin imternational and which ones are reserves for an injured Nyathi, and if you cant tell, youre probably closer to the latter.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you're going to play 4 day cricket for a season you can't hold down another job in that time so then surely you need a living wage?
Back in the early amateur days some players had soft jobs with companies that gave them time off. Not all players! Some companies were not understanding at all.
That would be an interesting concept to revisit with corporates if ZC had any credibility whatsoever. You're also giving players other skills.
It would be good to see which players have extra-curricular stuff going on. I think it would be a sobering exercise to see how many guys just have no plan at all and desperately need the money from ZC.

If you just told players they're not being paid, how many would put their hands up for 4 day cricket? You might find a large percentage would just revert to one day club cricket unless they thought they had a realistic chance at being picked for the main side. Then would there be enough players to actually play? You might get away with 3 sides, but I doubt 5. I think quite a few guys would just jack it in altogether.
With so few tests being played its becoming a pointless exercise even having 4 day cricket in Zim.

Then what would you do with the u19's who showed promise? You'd surely have to make a deal with those with options or they would not be able to hang around.
As I've said this it raises the issue that they've never done anything, they just let them slip through their fingers.
But if you want to progress you have to give the real good ones some pathways. A 20 year old being paid, playing against a team of men not being paid would be unfriendly.
ZC do commit some resources to u19. In my opinion it's too little too late, but to then produce a couple of decent guys a year and then cut them loose is a massive waste of investment. There aren't many families that can or are willing to support their kids for a couple of years to see if they've got the goods, but that's also an option.

To their credit ZC I think do know the figure that will make it happen and its $300 and a couple of free meals. Foot on the throat stuff with no breathing space whatsoever.
It means the standard of cricket will remain where it is, and perhaps slowly worsen. A box ticking exercise for ICC. For sure the national guys don't derive much benefit from the domestic standard we play.

No easy solutions.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I have seen the document from ZC which outlines players salaries ahead of the Logan Cup. The Grade A,B and C contracts are for six months and contain a number of bonuses/incentives.

Grade A (Rookie): $250-$500 (More if you play FC cricket, initial figure is for Pro 50 and T20 only)
Grade B: $500 - $900 (FC players showing improvement)
Grade C: $900-$1400 (Top performers at FC Level)

Pay as you play:

T20/Pro 50: $100-$150 per match
First Class: $150-$200 per match

General Contracts (For experiences but inconsistent provincial players)

$300-$500 per month.
Last edited by zimfan1 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Not great but no as bad as some of the above posts suggests. Opportunity to earn bonuses based on performance.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Taylor scored a solid 51* today in the LPL.

What kind of league is this though? They have all the national Sri Lankan players in the mix, and the footage has all the big commentators, yet I’m seeing Munaf Patel, Afridi, Irfan Pathan etc playing. I mean Munaf Patel?!

Googly

Post by Googly »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:53 pm
I have seen the document from ZC which outlines players salaries ahead of the Logan Cup. The Grade A,B and C contracts are for six months and contain a number of bonuses/incentives.

Grade A (Rookie): $250-$500 (More if you play FC cricket, initial figure is for Pro 50 and T20 only)
Grade B: $500 - $900 (FC players showing improvement)
Grade C: $900-$1400 (Top performers at FC Level)

Pay as you play:

T20/Pro 50: $100-$150 per match
First Class: $150-$200 per match

General Contracts (For experiences but inconsistent provincial players)

$300-$500 per month.
The doc I've had sight of says
Grade A FC avg 45 List A 40
Grade B 35 30
Grade C 25 20

By these standards do we have a Grade A player? Even BT wouldn't make Grade A.
Its unsurprisingly vague. If you average 34 in FC are you a C because you haven't quite made it. I had a quick look and can't find too many B grade players either :lol:

I've also seen a document that says franchise coaches are free to pick their own team but with the approval of the cricket director. Well then they're not free to pick their own team, are they?

Its all smoke and mirrors, don't be fooled.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And if you are B grade do you get 500 or do you get 900 :lol: there's some margin there...like double.
Theyve come up with this because people are bleating. If this satisfies anyone theyre stupid, which we know, but we live in hope. The doc says they want to be transparent :lol:
If the complete lack of communication has been whilst the geniuses sit behind closed doors for three weeks to come up with this :lol:
Power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

As a reference point Australian 2nd team players(in my state) earn $1000 aus per four day game, for non contracted pay as you play players.

But yes zimdoggy there are a lot of good club players earning nothing around the world, but not playing FC players enough won't help the Zim system.

Googly

Post by Googly »

By this grading our national captain is a Grade C, the lowest grade. Will he get $250 or $500?

Contracts are supposed to be for 6 months. If we finish by February will ZC honor their commitment to pay the full 6 months?