State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by jaybro »

Surprised to hear that Dean Elgar hasn’t made a century as captain, I really thought he’d made at least 2-3.

I still don’t really see who they could make captain, unless they decided to throw it to Temba and hope he grows with the little c next to his name. Although his efforts so far as captain for the Proteas suggests it’s more of a burden.

I still go back to selection and think that they get themselves into knots trying to juggle form, runs, wickets, potential experience and of course the quota system. The fact they ended up with Klassen batting at No.3 in a test just shows they didn’t pick the right squad.

They probably should have given Rassie another shot, Sydney is always a good place to get some runs under your belt. I just don’t see how Klassen could or would ever become a long term No.3 or 4 in Test cricket, so why not throw Rassie back in?

My memory goes back to 1999/2000 summer where VVS Laxman was ‘dead man walking’ in the Indian Test side after going through a rough tour of Australia. But the selectors kept the faith and have him another shot in Sydney where he scored that famous hundred which he never turned back from.

I could rattle off many examples of overseas players doing well at Sydney after a tough tour, so I think once again the Proteas coaching staff/ selectors have missed a trick.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

They've certainly got guys with more potential in the wings. They're still not at ground zero where this was the absolute best team they could put up. That passion to be top test nation has faded though. They could possibly resurrect it but the administrators are on the customary looting spree.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

South African selectors always seem behind the eight ball. I could have told them neither Harmer or Maharaj would be useful on this tour with the ball. Many touring sides make the mistake of playing mediocre spinners at the SCG thinking they are still better than a pace option - this never works out. Better to go with a worldclass pace option over a mediocre spin option, even at the SCG.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Watching this SA20 thing. Some good players on show and a decent crowd in. Feels better than most leagues.

But can't help but feel sad watching, knowing that CSA have sold their entire national cricket to the BCCI and the IPL owners. Hardly any Tests in the next FTP, no series over 2 matches long I think? Sad. Kids coming through like Brevis and Stubbs will probably never play a single first class match in their careers.

And how long until some players sign up for 12-month contracts with a franchise ownership group? And play exclusively for e.g. Mumbai Indians, MI Cape Town, MI Abu Dhabi etc. And retire from international and domestic cricket? I think that will happen in the next few years. Players will sign for ownership groups.

Anyway, I'm just surprised they've had enough power to keep the floodlights on :lol: :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

They had a drone shot over the ground/city and everything else was in complete darkness :lol:

I think even Harare might be more liveable than Cape Town these days :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

You've got a little less chance of being stabbed, shot or mugged here. :lol:
Jeez Brevis had a good innings. He's going to be a multi millionaire before the age of 23.
A couple of bang average South African players amongst those stars.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:23 pm
Watching this SA20 thing. Some good players on show and a decent crowd in. Feels better than most leagues.

But can't help but feel sad watching, knowing that CSA have sold their entire national cricket to the BCCI and the IPL owners. Hardly any Tests in the next FTP, no series over 2 matches long I think? Sad. Kids coming through like Brevis and Stubbs will probably never play a single first class match in their careers.

And how long until some players sign up for 12-month contracts with a franchise ownership group? And play exclusively for e.g. Mumbai Indians, MI Cape Town, MI Abu Dhabi etc. And retire from international and domestic cricket? I think that will happen in the next few years. Players will sign for ownership groups.

Anyway, I'm just surprised they've had enough power to keep the floodlights on :lol: :lol:
Very valid points SZ and it is very very concerning indeed.

I've always been someone who loved this game above all other things and despite being an Indian I don't like so much of this Indian dominance on the game. You very rightly said, it is like selling the entire cricket to indian businessmen.

It also hurts me because other sports in our country get terribly ignored because of cricket. This has to end, I'm fed up of this.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

I was at Newlands for the SA20 launch game yesterday. It was such a good vibe all around the stadium. Contrary to my expectations it wasn't just Indians who would be filling the stands and was good to see Newlands so packed again. I'll break it down into what I liked and what I thought could be better in future frmo my experience and opinion.

What I liked:
The cricket itself - the worlds absolute best players involved and it really showed in the game itself. Jos Buttler was awesome, even Eoin Morgan rolled back the years with a few good blows. But Paarl Royals look so reliant on Miller and Buttler to make all their runs and look very light bowling wise.
MI Cape Town the single worst team name in sport where outstanding. Dewald Brevis and Jofra Archer have got all the plaudits for their roles. I still think that MICT are a batter short and playing a bowler too many, especially since Dewald Brevis can bowl some good leg spin worst comes to worst. The fact that Rabada did not play shows just how deep in class the team is although batting wise im not so sure.

The merchandise - Yes i am aware most teams sell merch but SA and Zim especially have notoriously been lackluster in selling merch over the years properly so it was good to see so many stands selling all sorts of merch for both teams. Plus the provision of free flags all around the seats gave an awesome vibe in the crowd.

What I did not like:
The stadium announcers - I dont know if this is because of the IPL influence on this league but the stadium announcers constantly talking and screaming down the microphone throughout the game may work in India but here in SA from what I could tell it was actually pissing people off all the fake energy creation attempts when people just wanted to enjoy watching the cricket itself.

Other than this though i really didnt have any major gripes about it. I think it is a good thing for South African cricket to have such a large injection of finances, however I am sad to see the impact it has already had on the scheduled amount of First Class and Test cricket which I think is a direct cirrralation of the CSA directors chasing the money to probably siphon off somehow to their pockets.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:23 pm

I don't know how people can not see the long franchise contracts coming. That will be the end of cricket as we know it. Kids like Brevis actually do not need central contracts as things stand.

It's going to be the IPL owners opening up leagues across the world and extending the IPL season at the same time. If the World Cup in America has huge crowds then best believe the T20 league that's opened there plus the IPL will be the end of "national team" cricket as we know it.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think international cricket will only exist for World Cups and a handful of bilateral series involving the big three. Everything else will be a steady of diet of IPL-owned T20 cricket. The big question is how will new players be developed and come through the system? Will there still be domestic cricket? Will there be feeder T20 leagues?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes