State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by sloandog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm
Couple of very good names mentioned there Kyle Verryene and Janneman Malan, also Wiaan Mulder. South Africa have some really good young prospects, they need to be brought in and persist with. Results will eventually come.
Mate they won't get a look in, that's the issue.
If South Africa want to get a player of colour into the ODI side or the test side, look no further than Tony De Zorzi: https://www.espncricinfo.com/southafric ... 97183.html

His FC stats aren't great at the moment but his LOI stats are improving constantly and he's a gun. Bavuma himself should be used more in ODI cricket because he's naturally quite gifted, but he is NOT a test match batter. He doesn't score hundreds.

Verryene, J.Malan, Van Tonder and Keegan Peterson are 4 boys that should be seriously looked at in the next 2 years to be the bedrock of the batting.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

In Van Der Dussen they've found an absolute gun. He's mentally and technically very strong and only 31. His FC stats are excellent and he's been throuhg the grin of playing hard cricket.

They need to get rid of Du Plessis now and drop Bavuma from the test side, and get rid of Shamsi.

Bryce Parsons is a name to remember as well, wow. Talented kid!

Marco Jansen, Nandre Burger, Sipamla, Stefan Tait and Lasipo Rasupme are 5 boys who will have a major impact if they get some exposure in some T20's and the odd ODI's. They are young, tall and fast, three of which are left arm! Jansen is going to be a ridiculous talent. Think of Shaheen Afridi but taller.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I said it years ago when everyone was creaming their jeans about Bavuma that he wouldn't cut it at Test level for South Africa, what's that now 44 Tests and only one century with an average in the low 30's ? As Sloan said that's not good enough and is simply embarrassing that a country like South Africa who are supposed to be competing with the big 3 carry a guy like this for political reasons.

None of the serious established test nations would give a player so much time and so many chances, it's embarrassing.

I agree QDK shouldn't be test captain, can anyone explain why Elgar isn't captain? He's the logical choice from where I'm standing
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've heard rumours the captaincy is between Markam and Bavuma. Neither would be my first choice at the moment. Markram they are looking at because of the success Graeme Smith has when he was a young bloke, but I think it's too big a risk right now.
Bavuma shouldn't be anywhere near captaincy conversations. He needs to go back to FC cricket and do what Van Tonder has done, score big daddy hundreds and double hundreds.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:16 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm
Couple of very good names mentioned there Kyle Verryene and Janneman Malan, also Wiaan Mulder. South Africa have some really good young prospects, they need to be brought in and persist with. Results will eventually come.
Mate they won't get a look in, that's the issue.
If South Africa want to get a player of colour into the ODI side or the test side, look no further than Tony De Zorzi: https://www.espncricinfo.com/southafric ... 97183.html

His FC stats aren't great at the moment but his LOI stats are improving constantly and he's a gun. Bavuma himself should be used more in ODI cricket because he's naturally quite gifted, but he is NOT a test match batter. He doesn't score hundreds.

Verryene, J.Malan, Van Tonder and Keegan Peterson are 4 boys that should be seriously looked at in the next 2 years to be the bedrock of the batting.
That's the problem, they have to abide by the transformation rules. Verryene can still come in for Faf eventually but I note they are playing only 4 colored players in tests, will probably compensate by playing more in T20s.

This is why Hashim, Philander and JP were massive losses, they were world class players and also helped in filling up the transformation numbers.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Duminy wasn't world class mate come on, look at his test numbers- as bad as Bavuma.

But yea, they need to include players of colour but just use the T20 side for that shit, test matches demand your best players are included.
Keegan Peterston will be the next batter to debut in the middle order, of that I have no doubt. But I still want to see Vereyne or Van Tonder in there somewhere. Du Plessis needs to go.

Give Janaman Malan an opening slot for a year and let him acclimatise. He's already scored 129* against Australia in an ODI.

Be savvy SA, for the first time in ages there's a lot of good prospects at the right age coming through and they need blooding.

Still think Marco Jansen should be in the T20 squad for the upcoming games against Pakistan

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Haha.. Duminy was still better than the likes of Bavuma, Ashwell Prince and Alviro Peterson mate. Played some really good Knocks, he faded away in the 2nd half of his career.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'll agree he was much better than Bavuma.
Ashwell Prince should have done a lot better than he did given the amount of talent he had. Some batters thrive on the pressure like Graeme Smith did and others simply flounder.

I'm glad Muelder is being given opportunities but I thought he was much quicker than that. When he debuted in 2018 during an ODI against Sri Lanka he clocked up to 140kph, so not sure where that's disappeared to.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think South Africa are destined to go the way of the West Indies, notch a few impressive victories here and there but ultimately not be competitive with the big boys.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Yea they have regressed dramatically. They probably peaked as a team around 2008, in my opinion. They were most talented during the mid 90's and have only been close to that when Amla, De Villiers, Smith and Ntini were around. Since then there's been bursts of excitement but overall they have been poor. They will never replace Kallis