State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: State of SA

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:21 am
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/spo ... 373256.cms

Why would countries like Scotland, Afghanistan and Malaysia support bi-lateral cricket?
More ICC events means more money goes to the big sides especially as the proposed extra event is a 6 team Champions Trophy. The money would just stay with big boys who lose nothing regardless of who took control. At least thats my understanding of it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Covid has to have affected the ICC revenues. If they don't have a buffer there's trouble looming. If they reduce everyone's handouts pro rata then worthy sides like Scotland, Netherlands, Ireland and Afghanistan are really going to be under the pump. Behind the scenes they must be complaining bitterly about the money that comes our way.

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 pm
jward wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:23 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 am
200% ZC could buy their way to international competitiveness

Buy two openers, a spinner and a fast bowler and we push top 5.

For me I would throw money at ballance, Markram and Welch and that Melton kid
Believe me, ZC has no money to throw! They can't even pay their own employees; they are two months behind with the salaries once again!
How are ZC out of money again? Haven't all the loans been paid off?
The last I heard was they have 'only' 1 million left to pay off. Then there is the massive cut in ICC funding from $9m to $5m per year. (There are probably other reasons as well ...)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

So if they paid $1,000,000 off right away that still leaves them with $4,000,000. That still seems like a lot of money to run cricket in Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:10 am
So if they paid $1,000,000 off right away that still leaves them with $4,000,000. That still seems like a lot of money to run cricket in Zimbabwe.
I'm just curious as to how much money everyone thinks is "enough" for any admin to run the game decently in the country...

Can one make a list of all the genuine expenditures the admin has including all the salaries, ground maintenance, development programs etc.? I know this will turn into a slugfest of how the admin are filling their coffers etc. but we can at least attempt to figure out what the expenditures are...

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:18 am

I'm just curious as to how much money everyone thinks is "enough" for any admin to run the game decently in the country...

Can one make a list of all the genuine expenditures the admin has including all the salaries, ground maintenance, development programs etc.? I know this will turn into a slugfest of how the admin are filling their coffers etc. but we can at least attempt to figure out what the expenditures are...
I think it depends on what exactly ZC are funding. So we know for certain they funded the NPL and they need to fund the Logan Cup, but how many staff are on their books and how many groundsmen. Are the groundsmen paid for by the respective clubs or by ZC? Do ZC pay a hiring fee to use the clubs and if so, how much? Are they paying rent for their offices? Off the bat, these are probably taking a big chunk of money and that doesn't sound about right.

There could be other expenses such as vehicles and hiring venues for events, which if i'm not mistaken was something we did not pay for before (pre 2006) due to the sponsorships we had.

Then you have of course players who need to be paid. Centrally contracted players would be ZC paid surely, but then are ZC paying for all the domestic players on a list or are they paid for by the individual associations as they should be.

I'm sure are other things I am missing out on such as broadcasters and game day staff. If ZC is paying for ALL of this, then the money we are getting is not enough and the structure is completely messed up and one that ZC is failing to manage and structure correctly.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:32 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:18 am

I think it depends on what exactly ZC are funding. So we know for certain they funded the NPL and they need to fund the Logan Cup, but how many staff are on their books and how many groundsmen. Are the groundsmen paid for by the respective clubs or by ZC? Do ZC pay a hiring fee to use the clubs and if so, how much? Are they paying rent for their offices? Off the bat, these are probably taking a big chunk of money and that doesn't sound about right.

There could be other expenses such as vehicles and hiring venues for events, which if i'm not mistaken was something we did not pay for before (pre 2006) due to the sponsorships we had.

Then you have of course players who need to be paid. Centrally contracted players would be ZC paid surely, but then are ZC paying for all the domestic players on a list or are they paid for by the individual associations as they should be.

I'm sure are other things I am missing out on such as broadcasters and game day staff. If ZC is paying for ALL of this, then the money we are getting is not enough and the structure is completely messed up and one that ZC is failing to manage and structure correctly.
Of course ZC would pay for all of this, where would the franchises be getting revenue from?

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's the small matter of our funding being halved. Our board cost us $4 million dollars, the difference between sinking and swimming. I never hear a single person in Zim even mentioning it. It would be an interesting vote amongst the people involved in cricket here.
Would you vote for a new board and $9m or are you happy with the existing one and $5m?
The results would be surprising.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Why was the funding cut ? Does anybody know? Problem unlike other countries ZC has to pay for everything for it to work. There aren’t that many sponsors around. 5 million isn’t enough.

I thought the cut was for a year. Presumably to pay off debts we owed. Didn’t think it was permanent

https://news.pindula.co.zw/2020/02/03/z ... or-a-year/

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Zimco wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 am

Of course ZC would pay for all of this, where would the franchises be getting revenue from?
Well thats a problem then because the franchises should really be operating as themselves and not be reliant on ZC. I think a lot of the franchise guys are ZC guys and therefore just run the franchise and take money from ZC. Mates giving to mates kind of thing as opposed to a proper functioning system where the franchises look after themselves and feed into ZC.

Franchises would get revenue like any other club or domestic side. Sponsors, match income, tv revenue, kit sales etc....
Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:39 am

Would you vote for a new board and $9m or are you happy with the existing one and $5m?
Is this a serious question?