State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: State of SA

Post by eugene »

Great win for South Africa. Too bad this series is their last meaningful test series for a long time - the NZ tour will be a shitshow with the C-team.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene

Post by eugene »

Despite being the C team, still some decent talent here.

Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

How many people have captained their side on their Test debut?!?!? (Not including the countries very first test).

eugene

Post by eugene »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:11 pm
How many people have captained their side on their Test debut?!?!? (Not including the countries very first test).
Lee Germon for New Zealand in 1995. He was playing in the Netherlands when he was announced as the new NZ captain, was quite bizarre. Even though I was only 10 at the time I remember the news coverage quite well.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:11 pm
Not sure about tests. But I was always fascinated with how George Bailey in modern era was made the T20 captain on his debut and he wasn't captaining an understrength team either

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

After many of England’s dads army withdrew from the 1972/73 tour of India & Pakistan, Tony Lewis was chosen as captain & to make his test debut.
Prior to that, England sent under strength teams at the same time to NZ & the Windies in 1929/30. I think the tests were given “test” status retrospectively, but the records show FSG Calthorpe & Harold Gilligan led their English teams in their only test appearances. Also, for the West Indies, Nelson Betancourt led the team in his only test. There was so much politics in the Windies at the time, they had had a different test captain, a local, at each different venue.
In 1936, India had an unhappy tour of England. They were led by The Maharaja of Vizianagram, who no doubt financed the tour. But he was at odds with their best cricketers & the results were poor.
In 1951/52, another English team toured India & were led by Nigel Howard, who played his only tests.

eugene

Post by eugene »

New Zealand have never won a test series against South Africa, I imagine they'll still find a way to not win, even against the Proteas C-team.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I'm liking David Bedingham. Could play T20 cricket or play for England, and is instead turning down other opportunities to play test cricket for the Proteas.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/bedingham- ... fore-sa20/

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Smacked those shady subcontinent bros around. CSA is another fantastic board with its eye on the ball.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Maybe the C-team will do better than 55 all out?