State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by zimfan1 »

Don't watch the IPL. The greed and nationalist nature of the "modern India" makes me sick to my core.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Oh South Africa you havant have you?
JUST IN: CSA appoint Temba Bavuma and Dean Elgar as South Africa's limited-overs and Test captains respectively

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:48 pm
Oh South Africa you havant have you?
JUST IN: CSA appoint Temba Bavuma and Dean Elgar as South Africa's limited-overs and Test captains respectively
In all honesty....I don't mind this. Elgar is a gun up top and he's a regular test player. So his appointment is a good decision I think.
Bavuma's spot in the test line up is therefore not set in stone and is open to be dropped, which he should be. His test stats are appalling.
However I said in another thread that he could be a useful option in ODI cricket. He batted really well during the MSL last summer and has decent LOI stats. He does get on with it in fairness to the bloke and he did score an ODI century on debut. If Bavuma was given the test captaincy then I would have been really disappointed.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:31 am
Don't watch the IPL. The greed and nationalist nature of the "modern India" makes me sick to my core.
I remember when Indian cricket was so easy to support. I used to love seeing them do well in the 90s and early 2000s. They seem like the big bad guys now, perhaps even worse than Australia!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Is Bavuma even in the Proteas best ODI side? I don’t think so

This guy is loving life being the poster boy for transformation, he doesn’t even need to score runs or do anything and he gets selected and now made captain lol

Elgar is a good choice for the test captain, as Sloan said he’s a lock in the side so at the very least they won’t have the embarrassment of dropping their captain, like they’ll have to with Bavuma eventually
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Bangladeshi_Fan

Post by Bangladeshi_Fan »

Worst South African side I have ever seen.

Things have gone downhill since 2018.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Bavuma was always going to be the favoured child. Captain, I'm not so sure of, but being dropped from the sides was always something that was never going to happen.

They need black players to succeed so that there is more weight behind their quota rules. Be interesting to see how he handles the pressure of captaincy too.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I used to be a big fan of Andile but now I hate seeing his name on a South African team sheet. He again believes his own myth too much and is very much riding that transformation wave. Junior Dala is another one who I don't want to see. If you're going to pick players of colour at least make sure they are good enough. Lads like Keegan Peterston, Stuurman and De Zorzi are 100% good enough and could reallt provide a solid backbone for the future. Annoys me when I see the two Hendricks being selected and then getting bigged up.
You want a left arm quick? Select Nandre Burger or Marco Jansen, two genuine prospects for the future who are young and quick.

tgk

Post by tgk »

Good work Saffas, making Bavuma captain might almost rival us making Chamu captain. Almost.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Here is what I don't understand about South Africa. They probably have enough talented black and coloured players to meet quotas and be a successful side, but they don't even seem to select the best quota players. Are there non-white players who are also victims of politics in South African cricket?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes