Raza wants to play for Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimbo

Raza wants to play for Zimbabwe

Post by jimbo »

Pakistani cricketer wants to play for Zim
DANIEL NHAKANISO | HARARE - Nov 18 2010 17:37

0 comments | Post your comment

Pakistan-born cricketer and Southern Rocks right-hand batsman Sikandar Raza Butt (24) wants to play for Zimbabwe.

Raza confirmed the news in an interview with NewsDay on Thursday.

“Playing for the Zimbabwe national team will be the ideal thing for me. It’s something that I’ve been looking foward to since I decided to become a professional cricketer.” said Butt.

“The level of cricket here is now very high and I know I have to continue working hard and be consistent at this level of the game.

“Playing alongside players like Brian Lara, Steve Tikolo, Tatenda Taibu and Chamunorwa Chibhabha has been a positive influence in the development of my game,” said Butt.

Butt scored a match-winning knock of 93 off 48 balls to help his side beat Matabeleland Tuskers by 41 runs on Wednesday.

The Rocks’ opening batsman came to Zimbabwe when his family migrated from Pakistan in 2002 as a 15-year-old and says he has fallen in love with the country.

He played domestic cricket intermittently for the then local side Northerns before moving to Scotland (Langside College) for his studies where he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in software engineering.

“After my studies I spoke to my dad about my wish to take cricket on a full-time basis and that’s when Givemore Makoni (Southern Rocks chief executive) signed me for last year’s Twenty20 tournament.
“Since then I have never looked back.”

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Raza wants to play for Zimbabwe

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

im glad he wants to play for the country but what confuses me was why his family decided to go to zim of all places in 2002, when zims social/olitical problems was on the rise?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

triedzi

Post by triedzi »

I should imagine Zimbabwe in 2002 and its socio-political issues pale into comparison compared to Pakistan's.

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:im glad he wants to play for the country but what confuses me was why his family decided to go to zim of all places in 2002, when zims social/olitical problems was on the rise?
Asians hav alwez med money in countries which are politicaly unstabl. They're unlik most of us who wher taught to go to skul & look fo a job.
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

i think he is showing great form, pity there no 20-20I soon

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

andy24 wrote:i think he is showing great form, pity there no 20-20I soon
Find out his status and take him on the tour to Bangladesh

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Conant wrote:
andy24 wrote:i think he is showing great form, pity there no 20-20I soon
Find out his status and take him on the tour to Bangladesh
i think that wil b good , giv him a coupl of games whilst he's stil in form. I dont think he wil do a lot worse than Dabengw, Williams & Tiba
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Raza is a useful addition to Zimbabwean cricket. Not sure if he is cut out for international cricket, but at the very least if he is eligible he could be selected for some 'A' team tours.

When was the last time Zimbabwe had an asian player, I am guessing Ali Omarshah was the last?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Dion Ebraham...lol

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

heres a thought....do you think any of the imports to the teams wold fall in love with the place and adopt themselves as zimboks-making them eligible for the national team?

We have Raza in the bag (although hes been living here a while) and i have a strong feeling riki wessells might be trying to qualify himself.... but do you think we could pick up one or two of the fringe county players we have in the ranks? Most have been here 2 yrs now.

It can only add to our batting depth. i say batting because theres not many bowling imports unusually.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*