ZIm Squad for Bangladesh Tour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

ZIm Squad for Bangladesh Tour

Post by maehara »

http://supersport.com/cricket/internati ... h_ODI_tour

Elton Chigumbura (captain), Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams, Hamilton Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Sean Williams, Chamu Chibhabha, Raymond Price, Ryan Butterworth, Craig Ervine, Prosper Utseya, Keith Dabengwa, Chris Mpofu, Keegan Meth.

No Flower, Nicolson or Rainsford.

Kriterion_BD

Re: ZIm Squad for Bangladesh Tour

Post by Kriterion_BD »

where is Cremer? not sure what qualification dabengwa has to be in the squad...

from a BD fan's perspective, it appears as though your bowling resources are quite thin with Rainsford out and Masakadza and Meth being rookies...it appears as though either Chiggy and Mpofu will open the attack or perhaps Mpofu and Chibabha...whatever the combo is, I'd imagine they hope and pray that Tamim Iqbal is rusty from his injury lay-off.

Best of luck to you boys this series hopefully it will be exciting.

And US viewers can watch the entire series live on ESPN 3, btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Kriterion_BD wrote:where is Cremer?
Noticed after posting the article that the source Associated Press piece names Sean Williams twice - there's clearly a typo in the piece & I'd be willing to bet that Cremer should be there, but waiting on confirmation...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

maehara wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:where is Cremer?
Noticed after posting the article that the source Associated Press piece names Sean Williams twice - there's clearly a typo in the piece & I'd be willing to bet that Cremer should be there, but waiting on confirmation...
yea, i noticed that too...my thought is that one of those "sean williams" is also cremer, given that he's leading his domestic team from the front.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

btw, what happened to Twanda Mupariwa...if i recall, he had excellent records against top ODI sides???

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The best thing about Zimbabwe touring Bangladesh is that I can watch the stream on ESPN3.com as they hold the tv rights in the US to all cricket in Bangladesh. No searching the internet for illegal streams.

Great to see Keegan Meth in the side. This forum is powerful - we have created a Meth storm and it has paid off. Looks like I will have to step up the anti-Dabengwa campaign however. How is this clown still getting picked?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Butterworth finally gets his chance! And Kriterion_BD, Meth is a seasoned veteran - played his first ODI in the 2005-06 season ;)

This is a good squad. Assuming Cremer's omission is a typo, then the only change I would have liked to see is Flower instead of Dabengwa. I think maybe Flower asked not to be selected, but nonetheless a series against Bangladesh would have been a good chance to find form. Sadly, I think this might be the end of Grant Flower's international career :) At least we were fortunate enough to see his name on the scorecard one last time in 2010. I would also have liked Coventry in the side, but I understand why he wasn't picked.

Elton Chigumbura (captain), Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams, Hamilton Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Sean Williams, Chamu Chibhabha, Raymond Price, Ryan Butterworth, Craig Ervine, Prosper Utseya, Keith Dabengwa, Chris Mpofu, Keegan Meth.

1. Taylor
2. Masakadza
3. Williams
4. Taibu
5. C Ervine
6. Chigumbura
7. Meth
8. Cremer
9. Utseya
10. Price
11. Mpofu

That looks like a decent side to me. The only question mark hangs over the seam bowlers, but with a bit of luck Meth will get off to a good (re)start. It would be nice to introduce a seam bowler who doesn't go for 10 an over... which is why S Masakadza's best shot at selection is if Mpofu performs poorly.

Before I forget, I can't believe Rhinos won yesterday. I turned the game off when the covers came out thinking the result was a foregone conclusion :shock: Well done Graeme Cremer. :W:

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

eugene wrote: Looks like I will have to step up the anti-Dabengwa campaign however. How is this clown still getting picked?
:lol:

Can't bat or can't bowl. Looks like he'll also play 100+ ODI's like Matsikenyeri without doing anything. I'm in the anti-Dabengwa campaign.

I don't like the selection of Justice Chibhabha. I would like to have Charles Coventry or Greg Lamb in place of him. BTW, Greg Lamb is trillions better than Keith Dabengwa. Lamb performed well in WI and in the tri series he was in the winning side of Zim. Brings a positive impact in the team. Must be in ! :!:

I'll welcome Ryan Butterworth in the team. Experienced, performed well in the domestic cricket.

I would rather have Ed Rainsford in place of Mpofu. Mpofu gave away so many runs against SA. 52 runs in 5 overs like that ! Rainsford in place of Mpofu... It has to be :!:

S Masakadza has good pace and bounce. In spite of his being expensive, he's got wicket taking ability. OK with his selection.

Hmmm..... I also think that Grant Flower ruled himself out of international selection. But I wished to see him in WC 2011. But nevertheless his decision :roll:

Last but not the least, Tinashe Panyangara deserves a chance in the pace bowling department. He's done well domestically.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

I think Chibhabha has been picked for his all round ability. You can safely assume he will be Zimbabwe's first change bowler. If I recall he had impressive figures in Bangladesh last tour before he got pasted in South Africa and hence got dismissed by our forumers here.

Mixed feelings however about Butterworth's selection in the 50 over format. Hopefully he can perform in it as well as he did in the T20s.

In Keegan Meth, Chigumbura and Chibhabha we have selected three all rounders whose roles are not totally defined here. Can we play them all together? I predict more anguish in days to come for the Meth brigade

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Conant wrote:I think Chibhabha has been picked for his all round ability. You can safely assume he will be Zimbabwe's first change bowler. If I recall he had impressive figures in Bangladesh last tour before he got pasted in South Africa and hence got dismissed by our forumers here.
Chibhabha has been dismissed as a bowler long before the recent South Africa matches. He didn't get an ODI economy of over 7 on the back of one expensive series.

He clearly has some talent with the ball - he is one of the unsung heroes of the Twenty20 win over Australia - but generally speaking he not been a reliable bowler in one day cricket. He could turn it around, but I see him more as the type of guy you throw the ball to in a Test match if you've gone two sessions without a wicket.

I don't think anyone has ever written him off as a batsman, despite his poor batting average. Dating back to the 2006 series against West Indies and as recently as the T20's against South Africa he's shown he's not out of his depth at international level. What hurt him was the emergence and re-emergence respectively of Sean Williams and Tatenda Taibu. He played his first international matches as a fairly solid number three batsman. Then Williams returned, Taibu returned and ultimately Chibhabha was left scratching around in the lower middle order.