News: [Zimbabwe to host men's Cricket World Cup 2023 qualifying matches]

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: News: [Zimbabwe to host men's Cricket World Cup 2023 qualifying matches]

Post by eugene »

This is great news. It will be a tough tournament. Honestly, I found the qualifying tournament more interesting than the actual World Cup in 2019.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 am
This is great news. It will be a tough tournament. Honestly, I found the qualifying tournament more interesting than the actual World Cup in 2019.
Hopefully it all gets televised this time

The 2018 edition was great, for pretty much the only time I can remember supporting Zimbabwe they were a live chance in a major tournament, with big home crowds cheering them on in tight enthralling contests, it really was great to follow and watch .....just a shame about the ending
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I'm sure all the matches will be televised. The ICC has been giving each progressive tournament better coverage. Even USA's WCL2 matches vs Nepal and Oman were broadcast earlier this year. Proper broadcast too if I recall it was on Willow I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The 2018 UAE campaign is easily my worst moment as a cricket fan. I actually had friends say check up on me.

May even beat the time in under 16s when I sprinted past the entire team to regather the ball on the line in the 80th minute to win the game and spilt the put down in Rugby Union.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:20 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:10 pm
Good news for Zimbabwe, I would like to see Zimbos preparing some hard and bouncy wickets which will make it difficult for Asian teams like Afg, UAE, HK, etc. There is a chance may be one among SLN / BAN / WI will have to play the qualifiers and they will struggle under such conditions as well.

If the conditions are like slow and turning, then it will be very difficult to stop the likes of Afghanistan and Asian countries. There is effectively only 1 open spot. Such a shame because there are quite a few good teams out there.
Why is there only effectively one spot open?
I'm assuming the 9th ranked team will in any case qualify for the WC, although I understand WI almost got knocked off last time had it not been for rain.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ICC probably gave us this because we're the only safe bet to not qualify automatically and hence actually be in the qualifiers.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 pm
ICC probably gave us this because we're the only safe bet to not qualify automatically and hence actually be in the qualifiers.
For some unknown reason the ICC wants Zimbabwe to do well, they've given ZC more than enough chances and help, whilst ZC has given them more than enough reasons to kick them to the curb.

I assume it's due to the fact they can't afford for cricket to die in Africa, with Kenya now finished and South Africa declining rapidly the ICC has a big problem in Africa.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:17 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 pm
For some unknown reason the ICC wants Zimbabwe to do well, they've given ZC more than enough chances and help, whilst ZC has given them more than enough reasons to kick them to the curb.

I assume it's due to the fact they can't afford for cricket to die in Africa, with Kenya now finished and South Africa declining rapidly the ICC has a big problem in Africa.
Both plausible theories. I think its just that ZC lobbied earliest - if not the hardest too. Early bird gets the worm. Apart from the UAE, and probably Ireland, no other country is equipped to host a 10 team tournament.

But yeah, the ICC also pretty much lets the bottom ranked Test side have dibs on hosting. I think WI and Afghanistan feel that they can qualify regardless of the venue/conditions (AFG play on neutral ground anyways) so they don't mind where they play. In fact, the Windies are probably quietly a bit embarassed they have to play in the tournament to begin with. They'd probably rather not play in front of their own crowd.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:42 am

Both plausible theories. I think its just that ZC lobbied earliest - if not the hardest too. Early bird gets the worm. Apart from the UAE, and probably Ireland, no other country is equipped to host a 10 team tournament.

But yeah, the ICC also pretty much lets the bottom ranked Test side have dibs on hosting. I think WI and Afghanistan feel that they can qualify regardless of the venue/conditions (AFG play on neutral ground anyways) so they don't mind where they play. In fact, the Windies are probably quietly a bit embarassed they have to play in the tournament to begin with. They'd probably rather not play in front of their own crowd.
Zimbabwe's bid to host the last tournament was third out of the three bids, but the ICC vetoed and gave it to them

I doubt ZC were first to lobby for the tournament, they were last to announce they were successful :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:50 am

Zimbabwe's bid to host the last tournament was third out of the three bids, but the ICC vetoed and gave it to them

I doubt ZC were first to lobby for the tournament, they were last to announce they were successful :lol:
Actually the 2018 tournament was supposed to be hosted by Bangladesh, but Bangladesh withdrew in 2016 or 17 when they had auto-qualified (the cutoff date was in 2017). So yeah the ICC just gives it to the full member nation. If it wasn't Zimbabwe, and the Windies or Bangladesh asked for it, they'd get it. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but the ICC should try to have a different country host it each time.

Its just not too many countries have the grounds/facilities for 10 teams. Ireland, UAE, Zimbabwe, AFG (in India) are the only ones really. The Netherlands and Scotland probably only have a max of 2 ODI certified grounds. The USA only has 1 - they really need some more and in major centers like NYC and San Francisco.