[Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

[Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI

Post by maehara »

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI
1 December 2010, Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur

Wunderground Weather sticker

Zimbabwe Squad: Elton Chigumbura (capt), Tatenda Taibu (wk), Brendan Taylor, Hamilton Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Raymond Price, Ryan Butterworth, Craig Ervine, Prosper Utseya, Graeme Cremer, Keith Dabengwa, Chris Mpofu, Keegan Meth
Bangladesh squad: Shakib Al Hasan (capt), Mashrafe Mortaza, Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddique, Mohammad Ashraful, Raqibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mahmudullah, Naeem Islam, Abdur Razzak, Suhrawadi Shuvo, Shafiul Islam, Rubel Hossain, Nazmul Hossain

All the pressure on Zim for this one - we're the ones that need to prove improving standards, while Bangladesh are already on a roll after their series win over New Zealand.

Kriterion_BD

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zinbabwe: 1st ODI

Post by Kriterion_BD »

best of luck to both teams!

this should be a series that everyone can look forward to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

After yesterday's loss the guys got a wake up call & know that there is a tough task that awaits them. I think we wil win the 1st game like we almost alwez do every series.

Yesterday's game exposed a few things which if corrected can do well for us. First-up our openers dont perform well in Bang, i dont remember any 50 run opening stand in Bang.

I have looked at a few scorecards and our middle order is almost non-existent. The tail usually wags which is a good thing. My starting 11 will be like so,

1.TAYLOR
2.HAMILTON
3.CHIBHABHA
4.TAIBU
5.CHIGUMBURA
6.CHAKABVA
7.METH
8.UTSEYA
9.CREAMER
10.PRICE
11.MPOFU

Although i would have wanted chigs slightly up the order. Chigs shud play as a big innings batsmen not just a lower order slogger. Meth shud be reservd for the batting powerplay. Taibu & Chakabva shud be just rotate the strike & prevent the usual collapses.
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Sir Mupariwa wrote:After yesterday's loss the guys got a wake up call & know that there is a tough task that awaits them. I think we wil win the 1st game like we almost alwez do every series.

Yesterday's game exposed a few things which if corrected can do well for us. First-up our openers dont perform well in Bang, i dont remember any 50 run opening stand in Bang.

I have looked at a few scorecards and our middle order is almost non-existent. The tail usually wags which is a good thing. My starting 11 will be like so,

1.TAYLOR
2.HAMILTON
3.CHIBHABHA
4.TAIBU
5.CHIGUMBURA
6.CHAKABVA
7.METH
8.UTSEYA
9.CREAMER
10.PRICE
11.MPOFU

Although i would have wanted chigs slightly up the order. Chigs shud play as a big innings batsmen not just a lower order slogger. Meth shud be reservd for the batting powerplay. Taibu & Chakabva shud be just rotate the strike & prevent the usual collapses.
Man, thats exactly my squad as well but i am sure selectors will play Ervine.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

No this is what my team would look like:

1. B.Taylor
2. H.Mazakadza
3. T.Taibu
4. C.Ervine
5. C.Chibahba
6. R. Butterworth.
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Keegan Meth
9. P.Utsea
10. G.Cremer
11. R.Price

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

This is my prayer for Zimbabwe
Dear God I pray that our openers will have a 50+ opening partnership . I pray that we may not loose Taylor early and may he rotate the strike well with Chibhabha in the middle of the innings , so that he can have a go . When he depaerts I pray that Taibu will be good company to Chibhabha who will be now the agrressor , and if he falls may Craig Ervine hold on and hit some more fours off the banga spinners . And in the power play may Chigumbura play a big innings followed by Keegan Meth . And may the tail wag thru if things go wrong .
As we bowl may we rip off their openers with Mpofu and Meth . and may our army of spinners led by their General , Ray Price strangle and take as many wickets . May Cremer be a handfull to many and Utseya bowl as he did in SA .May those that prepared a slow pitch be haunted by that decisions as our spinners come to the party .
And above all may Zimbabwe win the series .

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

maehara, you have wrote 'Zinbabwe' in place of 'Zimbabwe' in the subject of this thread.

My team for tomorrow's match will be:

1. Hamilton Masakadza (VC)
2. Brendan Taylor
3. Justice Chibhabha
4. Tatenda Taibu (WK)
5. Craig Ervine
6. Elton Chigumbura (C)
7. Keegan Meth
8. Prosper Utseya
9. Raymond Price
10. Graeme Cremer
11. Christopher Mpofu

Ryan Butterworth (12th men)

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Preview of this match in cricinfo:

Link: http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh- ... 89781.html
Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 1st ODI, Mirpur
High-flying Bangladesh seek to extend home run

The Preview by Nitin Sundar

November 30, 2010

Match Facts
Wednesday, December 1
Start time 09:00 (03:00 GMT)

The Big Picture

With the World Cup round the corner, the cricketing world has its collective eye trained on Bangladesh. By thumping New Zealand 4-0 at home, they have announced themselves as a real threat to the teams in Group B, who will all have to find a way past their spinners in slow and low conditions. The upcoming series against Zimbabwe may not say much about Bangladesh's development as a cricketing force; they are overwhelming favourites to put it past a side they have bossed in recent times. It will, however, offer some indication about what to expect from the Mirpur and Chittagong tracks that will host the five matches, and all of Bangladesh's World Cup league fixtures and quarterfinal, if they make it that far.

Zimbabwe's supporters will look forward to a better show than New Zealand's. As West Indies and India found out on a couple of occasions earlier in the year, Zimbabwe's spinners are capable of pulling off the strangling act. Ray Price's return after missing the South Africa series, and the presence of Graeme Cremer and Prosper Utseya gives them a spin attack that can compete on level terms with the hosts. Add the inventiveness of Brendan Taylor and co. at the top, and Zimbabwe will entertain thoughts of stretching the hosts in the next couple of weeks.

Mashrafe Mortaza and Tamim Iqbal return to the fold, making Bangladesh even more formidable, on paper, than they were against New Zealand. It's not often that they go into a series as favourites, and having their feet in the ground will be the biggest challenge for Shakib Al Hasan's side.

Form guide
(most recent first)

Bangladesh: WWWWL
Zimbabwe: LLLLLW

Watch out for...

Tamim Iqbal will be itching to hit the ground running after missing in action with an injury to his left wrist and the subsequent surgery. Being a batsman who scores heavily square of the wicket on both sides, Tamim's method will require the wrist to be in good shape. Prior to the injury he was in sublime form across formats, muscling his way to the Wisden Cricketer's Test Player of the Year award. Bangladesh will hope that he has retained his touch through the break.

In his last 11 innings, Brendan Taylor has slammed 578 runs including two unbeaten tons and three other scores in excess of 70. His aggressive style, aided by Chamu Chibhabha and Tatenda Taibu, will seek to dictate terms before Shakib plays the spin card. Can Bangladesh's seamers nip Taylor's attack in the bud? If they don't, his tussle with the spinners could make for some interesting viewing.

Pitch and conditions

Expect the Shere Bangla Stadium to play true to character. In day matches, scores of around 220 have in general proved to be competitive, so the key for the batsmen will be to avoid over-reaching. The early morning start in comparatively cooler climes could interest the likes of Mortaza, but the course of the match could be decided by the slow turn on offer as the game wears on.

Teams

Tamim's return poses an interesting problem at the top for Bangladesh. Both Shahriar Nafees and Imrul Kayes did reasonably well against New Zealand without really setting the stage on fire. Will one of them get the chop, or can Bangladesh find a way to accommodate both in the top three? Mohammad Ashraful is back in the mix; will he find a place in the starting XI?

Bangladesh (probable): 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Imrul Kayes, 3 Shahriar Nafees / Junaid Siddique, 4 Raqibul Hasan / Mohammad Ashraful, 5 Shakib Al Hasan (capt), 6 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 7 Mahmudullah, 8 Abdur Razzak, 9 Mashrafe Mortaza, 10 Rubel Hossain, 11 Suhrawadi Shuvo

Seamers Chris Mpofu and Keegan Meth impressed in Zimbabwe's defeat in the tour game against Bangladesh Cricket Board XI. A lot will be expected from them against the home team's powerful top five before the spinners can come into play.

Zimbabwe (probable): 1 Hamilton Masakadza, 2 Brendan Taylor, 3 Chamu Chibhabha, 4 Tatenda Taibu (wk), 5 Elton Chigumbura (capt), 6 Craig Ervine, 7 Keegan Meth, 8 Prosper Utseya, 9 Graeme Cremer, 10 Raymond Price, 11 Chris Mpofu

Stats and trivia

* The two teams have clashed 47 times, with Bangladesh winning 25 matches
* Ashraful, with 3354 runs, is by far Bangladesh's highest run-getter in ODIs. Shakib and Tamim come next.
* Elton Chigumbura has the worst economy-rate among bowlers who have played at least 50 one-dayers and taken 50 wickets

Quotes

"I think it'll be a bit different series than the one against the Kiwis as we have had the experience to play in Bangladesh quite often."
Hamilton Masakadza is confident that his side can compete well in this series

"We are at home; it is our wicket, our conditions and our crowd. They should feel a little scared."
Julien Fountain, Bangladesh's fielding coach, shoots down Masakadza's optimism

Nitin Sundar is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo
RSS Feeds: Nitin Sundar

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Flower power wrote:This is my prayer for Zimbabwe
Dear God I pray that our openers will have a 50+ opening partnership . I pray that we may not loose Taylor early and may he rotate the strike well with Chibhabha in the middle of the innings , so that he can have a go . When he depaerts I pray that Taibu will be good company to Chibhabha who will be now the agrressor , and if he falls may Craig Ervine hold on and hit some more fours off the banga spinners . And in the power play may Chigumbura play a big innings followed by Keegan Meth . And may the tail wag thru if things go wrong .
As we bowl may we rip off their openers with Mpofu and Meth . and may our army of spinners led by their General , Ray Price strangle and take as many wickets . May Cremer be a handfull to many and Utseya bowl as he did in SA .May those that prepared a slow pitch be haunted by that decisions as our spinners come to the party .
And above all may Zimbabwe win the series .
thats a good prayer, only thing missing is -> AMEN!
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Detective RDS wrote:maehara, you have wrote 'Zinbabwe' in place of 'Zimbabwe' in the subject of this thread.
Whoops. Fixed.

Had eye surgery recently. Proofreading is hard. ^^;