Zimbabwe tour to australia july/august

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe tour to australia july/august

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:having the frame of eddo brandes is probbly not ideal
Strong and Bulky.....just what a fast bowler requires

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

As long as his frame is strong and bulky and not large and pudgy.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:having the frame of eddo brandes is probbly not ideal

LOL :lol:

mdm

Post by mdm »

Interesting article by Mike Hussey, talks about the Aussies playing Zimbabwe in June-July at the end of the article. there doesnt seem to be anything official on the web about this tour though.

CyberShot

Post by CyberShot »

The times report that Australia will play two tests aganist zimbabwe sorry I couldn't attach the link

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CyberShot wrote:The times report that Australia will play two tests aganist zimbabwe sorry I couldn't attach the link
A link would have been good...

mdm

Post by mdm »

Oopsy :o was sure ihad attached the link here it is
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cricke ... 5984353330

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

We head to the subcontinent in February-March for the ICC World Cup, then there are plans for a short trip to Bangladesh in April-May and Zimbabwe in June-July.
No specific mention of Tests.

CyberShot

Post by CyberShot »

Jan 9, 2011 10:36 PM | By Archie Henderson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Africa's next cricket Test seems an aeon away. It's in October, so it's just as well we have to play only Australia. It should provide a nice warm-up for the summer's real opponents, Sri Lanka.

The danger, of course, is that, by the time the Soggy Greens arrive here, they could have found a team. They didn't have one while we were on holiday, camped in front of the TV watching wall-to-wall Test cricket from the early hours in Oz to early evening at home.

But Australia, unlike the Proteas, will have had seven Tests under their belt when they touch down next spring. Two Tests in Bangladesh, two against Zimbabwe (yes, they have been allowed back, despite the fact that, by the time of the tour, Robert Mugabe might have stolen another election) and three tough ones in Sri Lanka.

It should not be hard for the Australians to have improved on their aestas horribilis, but we might also be better by then.

There will be a new coach for the Proteas, probably a new spinner and possibly a new opening batsman to partner Graeme Smith and a wicketkeeper to take over from Mark Boucher.

On the question of Boucher, hold your bets. He had that old pit-bull attitude again at Newlands last week and, whenever there is talk about replacing him, he proves the doubters wrong.

There is no obvious successor at Test level; many of us have changed our minds about AB de Villiers and Jacques Kallis needs a soul mate in the side.

So, starting from the top of the order, there will be some discussion on the best man to accompany the captain to the middle.

Alviro Petersen took off like a rocket when given the chance last year by scoring a hundred in the second Test against India (when South Africa lost by an innings in Kolkata). Since then, his conversion rate from double figures to 50s has been poor, let alone getting another Test century.

Jacques Rudolph is pressing hard for a return, having given up his Kolpak contract with Kent and come home to lead the Titans.

He has scored 587 runs opening the batting in the SuperSport series this summer, second only to Neil McKenzie (626, the competition's leading run-scorer), with an impressive average of 53.36. He last played for the Proteas more than four years ago. Andrew Puttick is also in the picture.

Apart from doubts about Petersen, South Africa's top order is solid. In the middle of the batting there are several Young Turks making strong cases for consideration. JP Duminy is leading the pack, having made a typically dashing double century for the Cobras in the SuperSport series. Queuing behind him are Dean Elgar, Rillee Rossouw, David Miller and Colin Ingram.

Imran Tahir will put pressure on incumbent spinner Paul Harris. The left-armer can occasionally lull a batsman into dismissal, but spinners need to be last-day match-winners and Harris just isn't. Tahir, with 12 wickets at the weekend for the Dolphins against the Warriors, must be a shoo-in.

As for the seamers, there will be some sentimental tosh about Lonwabo Tsotsobe being the second Makhaya Ntini, but the left-armer is not in the same class. He might have improved a lot since last season and he's lively on a sympathetic pitch like a Kingsmead green mamba, but only seven wickets in a three-Test series (five of them in Durban) at an average of 48 is not good enough in Test cricket. Let's hope Wayne Parnell is back soon and that even Morne Morkel improves on his poor Newlands form.

•It was back to Kaapse Klopse Krieket yesterday with a T20 in Durban that was as far removed from the real thing of Test cricket as I am from becoming Graeme Smith's next opening partner. Cricket SA, always so politically correct, put out a statement ahead of yesterday's game, declaring "Moses Mabhida a sell-out". My, my, if the old commie trade unionist were alive today he would have had grounds to sue.
Other Articles in 'Cricket'

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/cricke ... tter-still - Cached

Sorry guys couldnot attach so I copied and pasted the aticle

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I think the talk of Zimbabwe playing 2 Tests against Australia stems from journalists looking at the ICC future tours programme without questioning its accuracy (see http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/FORTH ... /2011.html).

I think the ICC determined the FTP over 5 years ago (I may be mistaken) when Zimbabwe's voluntary suspension probably wasn't seen as a long term thing. As a result, the future tours programme has shown Zimbabwe to be playing Test matches regularly (look at 2008 for instance) even though we all know Zimbabwe hasn't played a Test since 2005.

I'd be very surprised if we play Australia in any Test matches this year, let alone 2. I reckon we'll play one-off Tests against lower ranked teams (Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies) and gradually transition into series against better teams and longer Test series.