Masakadza DROPPED from world cup squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Masakadza DROPPED from world cup squad

Post by Boundary »

Oh, and Dabengwa too!
HARARE- Poor form has once again cost Zimbabwe batsman Hamilton Masakadza a World Cup place after he was dropped from the 30-man preliminary squad, which was trimmed to 20 Wednesday.

The 27-year-old Masakadza, one of Zimbabwe’s most experienced players with 102 ODI caps under his belt, was also overlooked for the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies after his form dipped towards the tournament.

Masakadza was in Zimbabwe’s squad for the recent tour of Bangladesh but was not selected for the first two matches of the one-day series. He then managed just 3 and 6 runs when he got a chance in the third and fifth ODIs.

Before the Bangladesh tour his highest score in two series was 30, the lowest ebb being two ducks and 8 runs against Ireland at home in a three-match series.

In 2003, Masakadza could have made Zimbabwe’s World Cup squad but was studying at a university in South Africa.

Back in 2001 as a 17-year-old Harare schoolboy playing against the West Indies, Masakadza became the youngest batsman to score a century on his Test debut before the record was beaten by Bangladesh’s Mohammad Ashraful.

20-man squad
Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Terry Duffin, Craig Ervine, Sean Ervine, Greg Lamb, Tino Mawoyo, Shingirai Masakadza, Chris Mpofu, Tinashe Panyangara, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Vusi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.
http://dailynews.co.zw/sport/36-sports/ ... break.html

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Masakadza DROPPED from world cup squad

Post by eugene »

So this means that the 10 players cut from the squad are:

Hamilton Masakadza - this is a ridiculous decision. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Keith Dabengwa - makes sense, Dabengwa is a bum.
Timycen Maruma - no surpise.
Keegan Meth - omit The Meth at your peril.
Tawanda Mupariwa - too slow.
Natsai Mushangwe - no surprise.
Forster Mutizwa - hasn't been given enough opportunities to prove himself.
Njabulo Ncube - no surprise.
Ian Nicolson - needs more experience.
Malcolm Waller - hasn't represented Zimbabwe in a while so no surprises at his cutting.

My guess at the final 5 players to be cut is:

Vusi Sibanda
Tino Mawoyo
Terry Duffin
Ed Rainsford
Tinashe Panyangara
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

andybligz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by andybligz »

eugene wrote:So this means that the 10 players cut from the squad are:

Hamilton Masakadza - this is a ridiculous decision. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Keith Dabengwa - makes sense, Dabengwa is a bum.
Timycen Maruma - no surpise.
Keegan Meth - omit The Meth at your peril.
Tawanda Mupariwa - too slow.
Natsai Mushangwe - no surprise.
Forster Mutizwa - hasn't been given enough opportunities to prove himself.
Njabulo Ncube - no surprise.
Ian Nicolson - needs more experience.
Malcolm Waller - hasn't represented Zimbabwe in a while so no surprises at his cutting.

My guess at the final 5 players to be cut is:

Vusi Sibanda
Tino Mawoyo
Terry Duffin
Ed Rainsford
Tinashe Panyangara
yes masakadza is a major loss sometimes the selectors pull off great moves but most of the time stupid moves. AT LEAST DABENGWA is gone! about time the guy was cut. i seriously think tino mawoyo could do a decent job at the top of ther order, but masakadza experience would be much needed. but theres nothing we can do were gonna just have to deal with it. on a posivite we have hopefully the saviour sean ervine returning ,i owuld take him over hammy anyday. lets just hope hampshire lets him go

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Ryan Butterworth would have to be unlucky not even to be in the 30 man squad after touring Bangladesh, although I thought he was lucky to get a game in the first place. M Waller should be in the world cup squad, he has been in very good form in the domestic comp and has even started taking wickets. Although domestic form must not mean much as I doubt Charles Coventry has scored above 50 all season. Surely H Masakadza deserves a spot over Coventry. Glad Meth isn't in the side, he would get slaughtered bowling his pace against the top sides.
Does anyone no what happened to Nathan Waller?

clikcspeed
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by clikcspeed »

Hamilton WTF???
And the Dabengwa camp is happy now I guess :D that was also a surprise. @SLOANDOG, drinks on you!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

clikcspeed wrote:@SLOANDOG, drinks on you!
:lol: ;)

I have mixed feelings about the squad.
I mean I'm happy that Duffin and and Williams made the squad, and happy that Dabengwa has been cut.....but in regards to Mazakadza Snr.....not happy atall.
I thought he and Taylor made a vicious opening pairing in the ODI arena....

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://zimcricketforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 654#p21654 Did I jinx Hamilton? This is plain ridiculous :x

Yes, we didn't notice that Butterworth was not even in the 30 man squad. What message does that send to him?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Would have preferred to have seen Ryan Butterworth in the preliminary squad opposed to Terry Duffin

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Very disappointed that Malcolm Waller is not in the squad as he is at the top of the domestic tables for both first class and OD matches and has also been making good contributions with the ball. He is someone who after being dropped from the national side has gone away and tried to come back a better cricketer and he has had good success and i feel this should be rewarded.

Glad to see Greg Lamb back in the squad as i felt that a large part of our success in the tri series with India and Sri Lanka was having the 10 overs which Lamb gave as well as extra depth in the batting.

Do we dare to dream about Sean Ervine!!!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Terryalderman wrote:Ryan Butterworth would have to be unlucky not even to be in the 30 man squad after touring Bangladesh, although I thought he was lucky to get a game in the first place. M Waller should be in the world cup squad, he has been in very good form in the domestic comp and has even started taking wickets. Although domestic form must not mean much as I doubt Charles Coventry has scored above 50 all season. Surely H Masakadza deserves a spot over Coventry. Glad Meth isn't in the side, he would get slaughtered bowling his pace against the top sides.
Does anyone no what happened to Nathan Waller?
Nathan Waller has been playing for the Southern Rocks in the B league where he has picked up an injury and wont be fit until late January