Masakadza DROPPED from world cup squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Masakadza DROPPED from world cup squad

Post by sloandog »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
sloandog wrote:Cricket is so fickle.
He scores a 50, he's our hero.
He has a bad trot, his career is over...?

I hope not. I like Hammie. He is just going through a bad patch at the moment. I am confident he will come back and Hammie and Brendan will open for us in ODI's for a few more years to come.
But the world cup is coming up.
It's not fair on Mazakadza who has been so prolific for us at the top. And now, just because he's going through a tough patch, he gets dropped, and is once again denied the chance to play in the world cup...NOT FAIR ATALL !!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Yes, I agree. Not only is it unfair but uncalled for as well. Is Masakadza the scapegoat for poor team performances since the end of the tri-series? It seems like a blunder to remove one half of Zim's most successful opening combination in recent memory.
Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Terry Duffin, Craig Ervine, Sean Ervine, Greg Lamb, Tino Mawoyo, Shingirai Masakadza, Chris Mpofu, Tinashe Panyangara, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Vusi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.
Not to downplay their importance to Zimbabwean cricket moving forward, but how in the short term is Duffin, Mawoyo, Panyangara or Sibanda considered a better prospect than Hamilton Masakadza for the World Cup?

Anyway, a good 15 man squad would be: Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Craig Ervine, Sean Ervine, Greg Lamb, Chris Mpofu, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote: Not to downplay their importance to Zimbabwean cricket moving forward, but how in the short term is Duffin, Mawoyo, Panyangara or Sibanda considered a better prospect than Hamilton Masakadza for the World Cup?

Anyway, a good 15 man squad would be: Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Craig Ervine, Sean Ervine, Greg Lamb, Chris Mpofu, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams
Emphasis mine. To me that says that they've decided to KILL Masakadza's international career. Don't underestimate the gravity of this decision - if you were him, how else would this be interpreted? This isn't a "take time off to find form", they're deciding to remove Masakadza to make way for Chibhabha (or less likely Compton or Ballance). These are people who stuck with Matsikenyeri and Dabengwa slightly longer than necessary, and they have no patience for Hammie? Instead of the world cup televised internationally (with potential IPL or county prospects), he's going to make a comeback against Bangladesh with no one watching except our 2 nations?
brm I see you've left out Shingi Masakadza from your ideal 15 and I understand why (he's too expensive). But he's got something unique: guts. No one can bowl at the bottom of the innings (assuming Price takes one end) and Masakadza Jnr solves that problem somewhat.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Boundary wrote: Instead of the world cup televised internationally (with potential IPL or county prospects), he's going to make a comeback against Bangladesh with no one watching except our 2 nations?
I am interested and i shall be watching from India :D
Hamilton deserves a go despite bad form. He can kill associates easily even if he is out of form.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

eugene

Post by eugene »

Our selectors are a bunch of idiots. Do they not realise that Hamilton is one of our best players and that he is just out of form? What has Vusi Sibanda done to be included ahead of Hamilton?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

aydee wrote:
Xlife wrote:
Who says that its the end of his career mate... he is only 30 and that is the age cricketers start to peak, look at the ages of the top test sides in the world...
He's 27!

He is 30 yrs old and still potentially has another 7 or 8 years in first class cricket, guys like price and flower still going http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 55388.html

aydee

Post by aydee »

Xlife wrote:
aydee wrote:
Xlife wrote:
Who says that its the end of his career mate... he is only 30 and that is the age cricketers start to peak, look at the ages of the top test sides in the world...
He's 27!

He is 30 yrs old and still potentially has another 7 or 8 years in first class cricket, guys like price and flower still going http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 55388.html
I was talking about Masakadza, he's 27.

kingviv

Post by kingviv »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Yes, I agree. Not only is it unfair but uncalled for as well. Is Masakadza the scapegoat for poor team performances since the end of the tri-series? It seems like a blunder to remove one half of Zim's most successful opening combination in recent memory.
Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Terry Duffin, Craig Ervine, Sean Ervine, Greg Lamb, Tino Mawoyo, Shingirai Masakadza, Chris Mpofu, Tinashe Panyangara, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Vusi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.
Not to downplay their importance to Zimbabwean cricket moving forward, but how in the short term is Duffin, Mawoyo, Panyangara or Sibanda considered a better prospect than Hamilton Masakadza for the World Cup?

brm the players u mentioned saying masakadza is a better short term prospect have also done there bit to deserve a place in the squad the problem here with masakadza is i think he did get opportunities ie ireland,SA and bangladesh and in all those series the selectors were then serouisly looking to the world cup and he didn't realy produce now the other players u mentioned in duffin,mawoyo and panyangara are lets say vying for places but didn't get a chance they played A Side against NZ and localy except sibanda who got a game against ireland.i think u should look at hammie's case rather than be harsh on other players who might deserve to be in the squad..hammie got his chances and messed up

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

oh Hammmy....what happened to you man...

your ass used to be beautiful.....

*BANG
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

I hope the selectors will be repaid for their decision to drop people . We held too much on Stuart Matsikenyeri for too long and we aid . Welcome to the land of plenty , were you can choose to drop someone or drop someone coz u have an alternative . Remember the drought years of 2004-2009 when we did not have the player base we have now .
This is rather a statement to the rest of the squad that no one is not immune to being dropped . Hami was the voice unfortunately . I think its loud and clear to the rest of the team now .