Australia could certainly use some of Zim's bowlers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Australia could certainly use some of Zim's bowlers

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Graeme Cremer (Zimbabwe)

Code: Select all

First Class			Test
Mat:		 40					   6
Wkt:		 139					  13
Avg:		 28.06				   45.76
Bat avg:	14.52				   2.63
Raymond Price (Zimbabwe)

First Class			Test
Mat:		 88					   18
Wkt:		 303					  69
Avg:		 32.13				   35.86
Bat avg:	16.61				   9.73
Timycen Maruma (Zimbabwe)

First Class			Test
Mat:		 20					   -
Wkt:		 75					   -
Avg:		 26.97				   -
Bat avg:	16.53				   -
Prosper Utseya (Zimbabwe)

First Class			Test
Mat:		 46					   1
Wkt:		 117					  0
Avg:		 32.76				   -
Bat avg:	20.56				   22.50
Beau Casson (Australia)

First Class			Test
Mat:		 40					   -
Wkt:		 107					  -
Avg:		 40.36				   -
Bat avg:	24.68				   -

Granted, the quality of competition between the Logan Cup and the Pura Cup is huge. But for Ray Price, and to a lesser extent Graeme Cremer, wickets have been taken against top quality opponents, whether that be in a Test match or First Class cricket abroad.

With MacGill now retired, Australia have no spin bowlers. Beau Casson is the only other spinner in the touring squad, but even he is a relative unknown. Dan Cullen is ridiculously expensive at times and struggles to get a game for South Australia, and Cullen Bailey not much better.

If Ray Price was Australian, I'd say he'd have a place in the team for the 3rd Test. And looking to the future, Graeme Cremer probably wouldn't be far behind. Cremer is most comparable to Casson, as both have played 40 First Class games. Again, the standard of competition is noted, but I don't know if it can account for a 32 wicket difference (in favour of Cremer). Casson's First Class average for NSW/WA is more comparable to Cremer's Test bowling average than Cremer's First Class average, suggesting perhaps that Cremer is a better bowler?

Now, if Utseya and Maruma were Aussies, would they get a look in? I don't think so, although Utseya might be a chance for ODI's with Brad Hogg's retirement, because they haven't proven themselves against quality opponents, which Price and Cremer. Maruma has excelled at domestic level, as has Utseya, but neither have taken a Test wicket (Utseya has played a Test but went wicketless).

Australian spin bowling stocks are at dangerously low levels. Or maybe everybody is comparing the up-and-coming spinners to Shane Warne? Either way, I'd offer Cricket Australia Tafadzwa Kamungozi for Mitchell Johnson, and throw in Hilary Matanga for Doug Bollinger for good measure.

Zimbabwe gets some fasts, Australia get some decent spinners to develop... everyone's happy ;)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Australia could certainly use some of Zim's bowlers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What about Allrounders? How about trading Keith Dabengwa for Shane Watson? :idea: ;)

Maraicha

Re: Australia could certainly use some of Zim's bowlers

Post by Maraicha »

I could do with Andrew Symonds anytime :lol: