New Mountaineers coach Gary Brent

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

New Mountaineers coach Gary Brent

Post by zimfan1 »

New Mountaineers coach Gary Brent says he is looking forward to his debut as coach of a local franchise side when they host MidWest Rhinos in a Castle Logan Cup cricket encounter at Mutare Sports Club starting on Wednesday.

Brent admitted that he was taken by surprise when he received an offer from the Mutare based side following the surprise departure of South African legend Allan Donald.

“I have to admit that it took me by surprise because I wasn’t expecting it at all, but it’s something that I have always wanted to do and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”Brent said.

Brent, who played 70 one- day internationals, four Tests and three Twenty20 internationals for Zimbabwe said he was confident that Mountaineers would maintain the form they have shown so far.

“We have a very good side and Rhinos also have a decent side so it should be a tightly contested match but we will go out there to win and hopefully after the four days we will come out on top,” he said.

Mountaineers are currently unbeaten in this year’s Logan Cup tournament and are comfortably perched on top of the log standings after winning four of their six matches.

Mid West Rhinos on the other hand are in third place having won two of their six matches, while the other four matches have ended in draws.

However they will be playing at their home ground for the first time this season after the ground was undergoing renovations, which include the relaying of a new turf on the ground.

In the last match between the two sides at Kwekwe Sports Club in October, skipper Hamilton Masakadza, who had to deal with the agony of missing the World Cup for the second time in a row, scored his maiden first class double century as the two sides settled for a draw.
http://www.newsday.co.zw/article/2011-0 ... -confident