Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Wow, what a result! To have this sort of outcome with 4-5 key players missing is quite heartening.
We should have really done better than 250 though, take Williams out and it wouldn't be pretty - so definitely room for improvement next match. But hats off to the bowlers, some great performances there.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 am
For those interested here is a post match presser with Sean Williams

https://youtu.be/_lkLIIRQVeM

He really is becoming a great captain, and if he’s given the limited overs Captaincy too I feel he’ll end up as one of the best Zimbabwean captains we’ve seen.

He talks so well & spoke glowingly about the younger players in the side, he’s obviously leading by example now averaging 81 with the bat as Test Captain & his bowling changes & field settings were very good in this game.

The one thing that stood out most to me from the presser, was what Willo said about Victor Nyauchi. He said if he were picking a side on guts & determination Nyauchi would be top of the list, this speaks volumes to me and I think Zimbabwe might have found a little gem here.

I definitely wrote him off after first seeing him, but after seeing how much he could move the ball in the right corner conditions, I’m a fan & happy to say I was wrong about Nyauchi.
Nyauchi went about 5 seasons without getting picked too. I think about 2 of those he was the top wicket taker. That builds character. He also knew that if he had 3 bad games in national colours that’s it. This is why I’m never in favour of giving anybody special treatment unless you have proved yourself in at least 1 format

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Zimco wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am
He really swung it didn't he. Zim can look to produce bouncy tracks with these two opening bowlers. The problem is say we played Australia at home our batting would be blown away against good pace on bouncy wickets. Perhaps we make bouncy tracks against subcontinent teams at home and slow spinners against SA, aus, England etc if they ever tour Zim.

I rember Harare sports club user to assist the quicks in the morning session with streak etc but recently they have made it spin friendly.
Zimbabwe doesn’t host Australia, England or South Africa for Tests unfortunately, and if they did I’m sure they could prepare a slower deck as you said.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Bangladeshi_Fan

Post by Bangladeshi_Fan »

Congratulations, guys!

Great victory.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Sean Williams got $130 as his MOM prize money. Can see why some teams are so far ahead of others.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:37 am
Sean Williams got $130 as his MOM prize money. Can see why some teams are so far ahead of others.
Considering who ever is broadcasting this series is probably barely breaking even I'm not surprised

Can someone explain to me how they make money from streaming something on Youtube without showing adds in between overs? I get that if you get a certain amount of views Youtube pay you, but surely that's not enough? I would have thought advertisements or subscriptions would be the only way to make good coin?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:20 am

Considering who ever is broadcasting this series is probably barely breaking even I'm not surprised

Can someone explain to me how they make money from streaming something on Youtube without showing adds in between overs? I get that if you get a certain amount of views Youtube pay you, but surely that's not enough? I would have thought advertisements or subscriptions would be the only way to make good coin?

I wasn't too surprised, but I mean it shows the gulf in the nations. It also kind of goes to show that why would a guy give up a county career to play internationally when they would probably earn way more doing so in county. It makes no sense unless the countries can offer a decent contract on their own. Afghanistan have it a bit good in the sense that many of their players are playing T20 leagues across the globe, so the odd international is probably not too much of an issue.

The Zim guys don't even have a proper domestic league to keep them going, so we just keep falling further and further behind.

Sad thing about Zim is that the guys at the top Like Ozias and TM are driving fancy cars and living in big mansions.